What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Black Diamond

Juniors
I think the Dylan Edwards heroics are up there with the Scott Sattler tackle in terms of folklore in our history.

it has been commonplace to talk down Dylan which is somewhat sad really given his heroic performances during our successful GF winning season.
I dont think people understand how valuable Edwards is to our defence. He is a general directing the troops on our line, he holds it all together in that danger zone.

betcats

Referee
Kenny is a good signing regardless of whether he starts for us or not. I think he’s a lot better than a lot of people seem to think tbh. If Kenny keeps working on his game I think he can do the job with Nathan and Luai in the halves and Yeo at lock, especially if edwards or someone else at fullback can provide a bit more creativity than we got in 2021.

Re Edwards, he’s very good no doubt and he’s earned his spot for next year but I don’t think he’s good enough to keep critta out of Fb over the next couple years. I’d bet my house Critta will be our first choice fb some time in the next 2-3 seasons and I think that’s probably the hold up with signing Dyl, no doubt they want to keep him but I think they are looking for a price that won’t hurt us in the future if he’s not the starting fullback.

Hooked

Juniors
He would start for the dogs, the Titans, the Tigers, the Warriors. He’d also probably start for Broncos.

And those sides are rubbish.

Kenny is decent backup. That is it. Blade said the club would bring someone in to complement the players already at the club.
Lets see what unfolds.

The_Frog

First Grade
And those sides are rubbish.

Kenny is decent backup. That is it. Blade said the club would bring someone in to complement the players already at the club.
Lets see what unfolds.
Quality 9's are not in abundant supply. Better to try to make a quality 9 out of what we have. That appears to be the strategy. I'd be very surprised if the plan for this year doesn't involve making a decent 14 out of Kenny.

Coast panther

Juniors
I can't believe some off you guys you'd think we didn't just win a premiership. We need to tare it down and start again lol 🤣 laui will be 5/8 of the year this year in my opinion
Kenny is a good signing hoepfully evolves his attack a little and his running game but he's our best option I see atm, I keep hearing bring somebody in, who you bringing in? No top line hookers available, so you bring in a young gun? And possibly force riley smith or another young gun out of our team? Riley smith will be the future. Best option I see is to find a pod with experience to further help evolve Kenny and smith like api is now

maple_69

Bench
Happy with the re-signing. Best case he takes a similar step forward as he did from 20-21 and is a reliable cheap hooker, with Smith coming through with a bit more skill off the bench in 23. Worst case he looks like the reliable back up he was this year and we need to look elsewhere to replace Api.

The market is cooked though. You have Cook, Smith, Grant, Api and Mahoney who we can’t afford, then guys like the Braileys and Robson who are solid young hookers. The only guy I could see being a vague step up on Kenny that’s actually available next year would be Hodgson and that’s a one year deal at absolute best. We’re going to need to blood a kid or have a solid hooker, better chance of improving our attack via fullback and Cleary/Luai taking another step.

hindy111

Post Whore
Parra don't seem keen to sign Matterson back up. From what heard he has been killing it at training. I don't think he would cost the earth and one of the best defensive 2nd rowers in comp.

Also remember it's been 2yrs where Jnrs and NSW cup players have had little game time to work on development. Keeping some money spare would be smart. Clubs like the Tigers and Dogs have spent up. They will miss the opportunities of a good crop of juniors that are going to spring up like mushrooms. They've had time to work on their bodies and strength and I reckon there is going to be quite a few surprises packet's spring up in 2022/ 2023. And also a few clubs who have spent up too much to be able to catch or keep.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Happy with the re-signing. Best case he takes a similar step forward as he did from 20-21 and is a reliable cheap hooker, with Smith coming through with a bit more skill off the bench in 23. Worst case he looks like the reliable back up he was this year and we need to look elsewhere to replace Api.

The market is cooked though. You have Cook, Smith, Grant, Api and Mahoney who we can’t afford, then guys like the Braileys and Robson who are solid young hookers. The only guy I could see being a vague step up on Kenny that’s actually available next year would be Hodgson and that’s a one year deal at absolute best. We’re going to need to blood a kid or have a solid hooker, better chance of improving our attack via fullback and Cleary/Luai taking another step.
He’s signed with Parra from 2023

It made sense to sign Kenny longer with Api leaving. It also buys us time. To see what comes on the market or what develops at the club.
There are very few good hookers out there and most of them are locked up. The rest, are good young promising hookers or rubbish.
We can continue with Api/Keny combo this year and reassess later in the year should something change. It usually does in RL.

hindy111

Post Whore
Penrith just need to keep Cleary and Luai together. And build around that.
You will have over the next 10 season 2 or 3 where you do not make the 8. And a few where you do but are a zero chance of winning it. But I reckon there will be 5 seasons where you going to be a top 5 chance of taking it out.
That wil come down to luck and injuries. Maybe get zero titles or you may get 3 more.

murraymob

Coach
Penrith just need to keep Cleary and Luai together. And build around that.
You will have over the next 10 season 2 or 3 where you do not make the 8. And a few where you do but are a zero chance of winning it. But I reckon there will be 5 seasons where you going to be a top 5 chance of taking it out.
That wil come down to luck and injuries. Maybe get zero titles or you may get 3 more.
We only need 1 more to draw level Hindy.then no more big brother little brother .you will be our bitches .hindy you are the new beer wench grab a beer lol.
our set up allows us to run Kenny .we have Cleary luia Yeo controlling the ball .
People forget under our system we where able to run 2 centers 1 new to the position the other a good solid first grader.we still made the top 4 .we will be okay for a few year and continue to develop and find that guy that wants a chance

hindy111

Post Whore
We only need 1 more to draw level Hindy.then no more big brother little brother .you will be our bitches .hindy you are the new beer wench grab a beer lol.
our set up allows us to run Kenny .we have Cleary luia Yeo controlling the ball .
People forget under our system we where able to run 2 centers 1 new to the position the other a good solid first grader.we still made the top 4 .we will be okay for a few year and continue to develop and find that guy that wants a chance

Penrith have a good set up and should remain strong. But Kenny and Edwards in the spine together for me means not a premiership side.
Can get away with one or other but not both imo.

Original Name

Juniors
I dunno if his body and playstyle will ever allow him to string a good amount of games together but if he could I think it would change the conversation considerably. Every time he does put a handful of games together he starts to look increasingly dangerous in attack. Then he'll go down with injury. I think he could be Gutho tier (hard working, shitter hands) if he could get over the injuries.
Gutho's had a 7th most try assist in 2020. A bit ridiculous to say he has shit hands.

maple_69

Bench
Gutho's had a 7th most try assist in 2020. A bit ridiculous to say he has shit hands.
I meant if Edwards can string some games together I reckon he can get to the level of Gutho, but he'd be harder working and have shitter hands vs Gutho. Gutho's ballplaying is underated.

Smug Panther

First Grade
I meant if Edwards can string some games together I reckon he can get to the level of Gutho, but he'd be harder working and have shitter hands vs Gutho. Gutho's ballplaying is underated.
Edwards can't pass a football it's bizzare, at least when playing on the right

Some of the hyperbolic reactions to the Kenny extension are insane. Couldn’t get a run at any other NRL club? You’d think we’d just re-signed Sione Katoa or something. Kenny is not as good as Koroisau, we get it. The problem is there are no elite hookers on the market.

The club hedged their bets, thankfully they aren’t as naive as some posters who want to pin all our hopes on an unproven teenager who’ll probably play cricket anyway. If Kenny develops in the next 12 months, great, if not we reassess then.