What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prediction poll - who will get the 18th team?

Who will be the 18th NRL team?

• Brisbane Firehawks

• Brisbane Jets

• Brisbane other bid (including merged Firehawks/Jets - please specify)

• Perth

• Wellington

• Christchurch

• The Bears

• Other (Please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.
No it doesn’t. Downfall means ruin, deterioration, atrophy, destruction collapse etc. You may mean decline or downturn.

If that is the case though then that’s a really good thing to hear. They have had the upper hand in terms of administrative capabilities, revenue, marketing, strategy, vision so hopefully Gil McLahan (spelling) is a terrible administrator. All I know is his brother is a terrible commentator so maybe incompetence might run in the family.
It can,
it also means exactly what I said it does too so stop with the semantics & trying to prove people wrong when they clearly aren't

So they lose 90 Million & we make a 50 Million profit & they have the administrative advantage ?
hahaha
yea ok

Colk

First Grade
you mean better then putting a wealthy team into an unrepresented part of our 3rd largest city ?
hahaha
yea ok

First of all a second Brisbane side is a no brainer but let’s break down how they have done it

1. How is their squad looking atm? That’s a mark against the rigidity of the current salary cap system and the fact that haven’t been given enough lead time.

2. How long have they really planned for this expansion? I’m not talking about when they announced that they were going to do it and picking Redcliffe but the pre-planning? Most sports who do expansion right do as part of a 10 year process or more tracking demographics, impact on the competition, player talent etc.

3. Why did we pick Redcliffe I.e another outer suburban side? Why pick a side that is not going to play all their games at Suncorp? Why pick a QRL club? Yes, they are wealthy but what is their potential to be a real competitor to the Broncos? Their marketing decision to call themselves just the Dolphins suggest that they are even aware of these problems.

Colk

First Grade
you mean better then putting a wealthy team into an unrepresented part of our 3rd largest city ?
hahaha
yea ok

I was referring to the past 30 years up to now, you know present perfect tense. You can go to back 40 years if you want when the competitions were both based in one state. It is inarguable that they have managed their competition a lot better than we have in that time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
hahaha
yea ok
not where or even the who, though that is debatable and time will tell on that one ie existing outer suburb club v new brand city based club, but the how. They've learnt nothing from the expansion in 95 and the titans it would seem. Hopefully the fact Dolphins has a big LC will save them long term, though its looking like '23 could be a bit dire for them on the field.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So they lose 90 Million & we make a 50 Million profit & they have the administrative advantage ?
hahaha
yea ok
Be interesting to see if that's the case when the reports come out next month.
2020 NRL lost $25mill and AFL lost $8mill. Even with the extra Origin revenue NRL enjoyed in 21 that would be some turn around and will be interesting to see where the costs have been cut, or revenue increased.
In 20 the NRL reduced grass roots and state league funding by $36million (and yes I know it was due to covid effecting ability to play and visit schools)

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
when you have their costs you need to have it, any shortfalls & its a bigger problem for them then us
Over the last 5 years (2016-2020) NRL has made a $33.2mill surplus. AFL has made a surplus of $90.1million. And this despite investing close to $400million in its expansion strategy in that time. Like I said, if you earn it you can spend it.

First of all a second Brisbane side is a no brainer but let’s break down how they have done it

1. How is their squad looking atm? That’s a mark against the rigidity of the current salary cap system and the fact that haven’t been given enough lead time.

2. How long have they really planned for this expansion? I’m not talking about when they announced that they were going to do it and picking Redcliffe but the pre-planning? Most sports who do expansion right do as part of a 10 year process or more tracking demographics, impact on the competition, player talent etc.

3. Why did we pick Redcliffe I.e another outer suburban side? Why pick a side that is not going to play all their games at Suncorp? Why pick a QRL club? Yes, they are wealthy but what is their potential to be a real competitor to the Broncos? Their marketing decision to call themselves just the Dolphins suggest that they are even aware of these problems.
oh lets shall we

what is your point ? this has nothing to do with the side eventually chosen & would have been the same for any of the bids , as for not enough time , again rubbish. The same issues would have been there in 2023 or 2024 or 2025
The right time to expand is when you expand , you make it work. Almost no team in expansion history has ever overcome issues of an average first up roster , it taking a few seasons to bed a new team in so when it occurs is relevant only if the comp & game can afford it.

I'd say since the inception of the commission , & If the 2nd part of that is true then what the effing hell did the AFL do with their latest expansion efforts lol

We picked the Dolphins not redcliffe . They are not a QRL club they are an NRL club & the 5 people who will associate them as the QRL club will pale into insignificance against the tens of thousands who will see them as Brisbanes 2nd NRL club based in the cities north stretching up to Moreton Bay. They will be backed by the wealthy leagues club at Redcliffe. It was easily the best of the bids & was the correct choice .. end of.

Over the last 5 years (2016-2020) NRL has made a $33.2mill surplus. AFL has made a surplus of $90.1million. And this despite investing close to $400million in its expansion strategy in that time. Like I said, if you earn it you can spend it.

400 million in expansion eh 2016-2020 ?
so they could have had a surplus of 490 million if they hadn't f**ked up expansion yea ?

like I said
pissing it up against the wall , a lesson for the NRL

Last edited:
I was referring to the past 30 years up to now, you know present perfect tense. You can go to back 40 years if you want when the competitions were both based in one state. It is inarguable that they have managed their competition a lot better than we have in that time.
Inarguable ?

hahahaha
cough
GWS & the Suns

yea
inarguable
you're just another rabbit caught in the AFL headlights .. mezmorised by their hype , propaganda .. spin & BS

bagging every move the NRL makes & praising the AFL despite being shown they make lots of mistakes too & aren't all that , not by any stretch.
I'm not saying stooge yet , but you're in that territory

not where or even the who, though that is debatable and time will tell on that one ie existing outer suburb club v new brand city based club, but the how. They've learnt nothing from the expansion in 95 and the titans it would seem. Hopefully the fact Dolphins has a big LC will save them long term, though its looking like '23 could be a bit dire for them on the field.
they've learnt nothing from expansion ? hahaha

tell me
what did the AFL learn with GWS & Suns ?
except they're arrogant egotistical wankers I mean

Perth Red

Post Whore
400 million in expansion eh 2016-2020 ?
so they could have had a surplus of 490 million if they hadn't f**ked up expansion yea ?

like I said
pissing it up against the wall , a lesson for the NRL
Whats the point in having $490mill surplus and no growth of your sport? The whole idea of making a surplus is to be able to reinvest it to grow. There's no grandkids for the AFL or NRL to leave the money to when they die!

Perth Red

Post Whore
they've learnt nothing from expansion ? hahaha

tell me
what did the AFL learn with GWS & Suns ?
except they're arrogant egotistical wankers I mean
for someone who doesnt like AFl you spend an awful lot of your time on here talking about it! Lets stick to NRl for a change shall we?

expansion has been rushed through to save Vlandys embarrassment at signing an unders deal with Fox. NRL has done little in the last decade to strategically grow the talent pool so new clubs could be added without weakening the other clubs. The NRL continues to insist on its utopian all are equal approach even though its clear that a new club could really do with a helping hand to hit the ground running in both recruitment and expenditure.

Dolphins should have had a 2 year lead in at least, should have been given salary cap concessions, should have been given start up funding so they could do some massive marketing and membership attraction. It seems the only thing we have learnt is that the NRL doesnt have an expansion strategy so needs to rely on a load of pokie machines to not end up with another Titans.

Colk

First Grade
It can,
it also means exactly what I said it does too so stop with the semantics & trying to prove people wrong when they clearly aren't

hahaha
yea ok

Sorry I was at work but I’ll respond.

I know what downfall means but thanks for copying me in. For example, if you wish to use it properly, you would talk about the downfall of somebody or something e.g. a government, a person or a company, you are taking about them being destroyed or removed from office or from their position of power.

The example you used it in was in relation to wasting money and not spending as much on grassroots. There is no mention in your example of them collapsing economically or losing power/status, m unless you want to kindly refer to what power or status they are losing by wasting dollars.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
oh lets shall we

what is your point ? this has nothing to do with the side eventually chosen & would have been the same for any of the bids , as for not enough time , again rubbish. The same issues would have been there in 2023 or 2024 or 2025
The right time to expand is when you expand , you make it work. Almost no team in expansion history has ever overcome issues of an average first up roster , it taking a few seasons to bed a new team in so when it occurs is relevant only if the comp & game can afford it.

I'd say since the inception of the commission , & If the 2nd part of that is true then what the effing hell did the AFL do with their latest expansion efforts lol

We picked the Dolphins not redcliffe . They are not a QRL club they are an NRL club & the 5 people who will associate them as the QRL club will pale into insignificance against the tens of thousands who will see them as Brisbanes 2nd NRL club based in the cities north stretching up to Moreton Bay. They will be backed by the wealthy leagues club at Redcliffe. It was easily the best of the bids & was the correct choice .. end of.

1. I didn’t think it was hard to understand but anyway let me rephrase. Can we afford to have another s*** team in the competition when we have had constant massive blowouts over the past year? If they get smashed every week, how do you think potential supporters or TV viewers are going to respond. The NRL could have done a lot of things prior to their entry - give them a bigger salary cap, give them a greater lead time, change the salary cap system etc.
2. Have a look at Rugby League’s history of expansion. We don’t do it very well, so yes we should at examples in other codes/sports.
3. They haven’t given themselves a name because they don’t know what or who they represent. It’s laughable. Even if they were the best of the three bids, that reflects poorly on the NRL’s methodology of choosing this side. Firstly, they should be playing at Suncorp every second week (no more small grounds) and their identity shouldn’t be tied to an existing QRL club

Colk

First Grade
Inarguable ?

hahahaha
cough
GWS & the Suns

yea
inarguable
you're just another rabbit caught in the AFL headlights .. mezmorised by their hype , propaganda .. spin & BS

bagging every move the NRL makes & praising the AFL despite being shown they make lots of mistakes too & aren't all that , not by any stretch.
I'm not saying stooge yet , but you're in that territory

I think after this text, I’ll bow out of this discussion because you’re either a troll or unable to be objective in any discussion on this matter. It’s also a high mark of cognitive dissonance to talk about someone else not looking at things objectively, whilst at the same time writing that message.

Anyway, yes, it is inarguable. In that time (last 30 years) we have had a war, we have had nearly a competition worth of defunct teams (3 iterations of Gold Coast, Sth Qld Crushers, Western Reds, Adelaide Rams, North Sydney Bears, Western Suburbs Magpies, Balmain Tigers, Hunter Mariners (although who gives a crap about them) and Illawarra Steelers - I’ll leave St George off the list because they have essentially taken over. Souths were also killed. If you want to extend to 40 years you could also add Newtown to that list). On their side, they have had one defunct club (two if you want to stretch it to 40 years), they have higher attendances, greater revenue, a presence in every capital city (most of the cities have two - so a national competition, higher player wages etc.

The only point of contention you have given me are two clubs that haven’t died yet. At this point in time, they are probably mistakes on their part but really is that your point of contention against the absolute shambles of RL administration over the past how many years? Also, they have made other mistakes, probably plenty (the biggest one I can think of is the Essendon peptide drama - that was very poorly handled)

Anyway, I’m not praising AFL management (unless saying basic competence should be praised); my statement is more of a reflection of how inept RL management has been - it actually shows how good the product is considering the game is still popular after all the crap over the past 30 years.

Last edited:
Sorry I was at work but I’ll respond.

I know what downfall means but thanks for copying me in. For example, if you wish to use it properly, you would talk about the downfall of somebody or something e.g. a government, a person or a company, you are taking about them being destroyed or removed from office or from their position of power.

The example you used it in was in relation to wasting money and not spending as much on grassroots. There is no mention in your example of them collapsing economically or losing power/status, m unless you want to kindly refer to what power or status they are losing by wasting dollars.
I used the term in its entirety.. enough of this drivel, I used the term correctly . You're becoming boring now.

1. I didn’t think it was hard to understand but anyway let me rephrase. Can we afford to have another s*** team in the competition when we have had constant massive blowouts over the past year? If they get smashed every week, how do you think potential supporters or TV viewers are going to respond. The NRL could have done a lot of things prior to their entry - give them a bigger salary cap, give them a greater lead time, change the salary cap system etc.
2. Have a look at Rugby League’s history of expansion. We don’t do it very well, so yes we should at examples in other codes/sports.
3. They haven’t given themselves a name because they don’t know what or who they represent. It’s laughable. Even if they were the best of the three bids, that reflects poorly on the NRL’s methodology of choosing this side. Firstly, they should be playing at Suncorp every second week (no more small grounds) and their identity shouldn’t be tied to an existing QRL club
Well I didn't think it was hard either but it appears impossible for you
a shit team ?
hahaha , the ink has barely dried on the agreement & your bias is showing already . How the F do you know they're going to be shit. Will they win the comp in year one , nope .. make the finals .. nope .. be shit , maybe but they'll be like just about every expansion team ever started so park that crap right now. One thing they won't won't be is a financial burden like many expansion teams have been & still are.

They have a name you halfwit , they're the Dolphins. And they know exactly who they represent.
Thank f**k they didn't come up with some stupid cringworthy amalgamation of areas name like clowns on here like you were suggesting like GWS

what the F is GWS hahahaha . i keep looking for it in google maps .. whats its postcode ?

You say you want expansion , then are critical of RL for the clubs that have fallen by the way side through rationalisation & natural selection,
What ? did you want them to all still exist & have a 40 team competition ??
You're a very confused individual who doesn't seem to know what the hell you want

Last edited:

Latest posts