What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

yy_cheng

Coach
We do use Junior this way, but that seemed to happen less and less as the season wore on. Junior also put away his offload.
Yeah, after SOO, he put away his offloads. Not sure if it was a plan to put it away and bring it back as a surprise for the finals or he wanted to concentrate on rucking it out and intimidation.

84 Baby

Referee
We do use Junior this way, but that seemed to happen less and less as the season wore on. Junior also put away his offload.
I prefer when Junior is run first. You can see when he’s preemptively decided he’s going to pass and he ambles to the line, engages at best 2 defenders and then passes out for the beginning of another block play. More or less what you accuse Nrown of doing.
Whereas if Junior charges into the line, drawing 3-4 defenders, with the potential of still getting a pass away which unlocks Moses or Drown (f**k Mahoney) to take on stretched defence. Or if he doesn’t pass, gets a decent play the ball and Nrown makes an angled run back behind the ruck! I need a cigarette after that kinda play

strider

Post Whore
That’s ok. Our benches can then tire out their benches and then we can put our freshened up starters back on against their tired benches!
I hope no other team twigs to this and starts putting their fresh players on against our tired players

hindy111

Post Whore
It's also about what the bench players can bring. Bringing on guys where the opposition are worried is a bonus.
If you started with Marata,Papa and Brown you'd be bringing Lane,Matto and Bryce on while you take RCG and JNR off. The pack becomes weak in meters gained.
Bryce,Matto and Lane are creators. They aren't hard powerfull runners.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Matto is wasted in the middle imo, he contributes so much more on the edge, particularly under Mitch's bombs.

He played his junior footy in the halves and he has decent hands

Agree he is a good cross field target but apart from losing that threat I would argue there is plenty to gain with him playing 13 in the modern game.

Big, strong, footwork and can ball play. I'd like to think he would be somewhere between an Yeo and a Murray style player.

Browny is a mad merkin and he does throw the odd good ball, but I still feel we have tried to coach him into being a ball player rather than it being a natural part of his skillset. You can still tell it doesn't come naturally to him whereas Matto was a half growing up, I think our structures/block plays might flow a bit better with Matto.

I think Brown just coming on as a generic middle off the bench could work pretty well once we have a bit of momentum.

I do admit Mattos defence on the edge is also pretty impeccable and moving him into the middle might leave us a bit vulnerable there, especially if it was to be Lane and Cartwright both can be lazy and straight up dumb at times.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
I do admit Mattos defence on the edge is also pretty impeccable and moving him into the middle might leave us a bit vulnerable there, especially if it was to be Lane and Cartwright both can be lazy and straight up dumb at times.
There was some talk last year (on here) that Matto was prone to not chasing hard enough from the inside which was then putting our edge under pressure.

Stevie

Bench
The idea of that Mad merkin Brown as well as Paps coming off the bench with the purpose of wreaking havoc makes my pants move.

hindy111

Post Whore
Can't Matterson defend out wide and attack in middle?

Anyhows I reckon 2nd rowers need to be able to break the line. Matterson isn't a threat. Papa,Marata,Bryce are far more dangerous out there. As is Lane.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Reckon Nrown ability/contribution is being underestimated especially as a starting player and “play making” lock…

and his line speed/aggression is great…

He was clearly injured towards the later part of the season..

A fully fit Nrown will have a huge say in us winning the comp this year….

Latest posts