What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

soc123_au

Staff member
No one can say that he left for the starting halves position. He was offered a contract, most likely with a hefty pay rise. No doubt the Bulldogs offered more, and now, thanks to the Panthers, they will be getter a much improved player, with a grand final win under his belt.
It was reported extensively that he left for a spot in the halves. Opinion doesn't come into it, it's fact.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
No one can say that he left for the starting halves position. He was offered a contract, most likely with a hefty pay rise. No doubt the Bulldogs offered more, and now, thanks to the Panthers, they will be getter a much improved player, with a grand final win under his belt.
Umm yeah, you can say that, because it’s true.
The dogs offered a bit more than us and the opportunity to start.

That’s what happened, that’s not my opinion, that’s actually what happened.

The team looks decidedly down on firepower this year, black to black you’re asking for a lot.

A couple of injuries and the backline looks more than suspect.

I would have cashed in two of the 22 backline easily to get Burto to stay. Anyone except Brian and Nate.

I now understand why Dylan has been resigned.

I think he’s factory for a fullback but he’s stable and reliable. Without the freaks and behemoths in front of him this year, he’s going need to get some flair and skill into his game. Where’s that coming from?

It’s really going to be up to Ivan and co to teach the kids courage and how to “smug” properly.

But at least you should have a better origin period.

Nate is in for a rough time with his shoulder worries and less competent surrounds. I predict more conservative footy from the whole side. Not quite enough talent for the riot of last year. On paper anyway.

Last edited:

Original Name

Juniors
The resignings of manu and lindsay collins wouldve been big upgrades.

Id say manu wouldve almost doubled his value since lsst contract and collins wouldnt of been cheap.

Connor watson wouldve cost a decent amount and Suali is going to require an upgrade if thevwant to keep him.

Plus it wouldve cost then a shitload to sign brandon smith.

I know theyve lost morris, friend and cordner but to an extent they were planned losses and they wouldve upgraded people already with that money.

Im sure they will be able to offer angus good money but i dont see them having as much in the kitty as you think.

Im sure we could be competitive.

Not sure why the dolphins havent made a play for him. Im guessing maybe hes managenent have told other clubs he isnt interested in elsewhere or he might go back to rah rah as soneone else suggested.
The way good teams structure their cap is the you'll get the best players/senior in this position taking up the big contracts and then they'll retire be moved on the next senior leader/best player takes their contract. Everyone else takes smaller contracts until it's their turn to be the big dog or they move on. They won't spend big money (on the cap at least) on more than two players in the forwards (not counting hooker which is pretty different because of supply and demand). Collins is being moulded to be their next JWH type enforcer and Angus will take Cordener's contract.

They'd get their money for other players elsewhere.
Real 50/50 on this. Love his heart and effort but his injuries and bad limitations with the ball are a worry
All depends on value for money. Better value for money than Paps depending on how much he's on.
I get what your saying and I agree with a lot of it. Api is a gun and one of the top few hookers in the NRL.

I disagree that we can’t with out him, we won plenty of games without Api last year and he didn’t have that big an influence on the finals series that anyone can say that we wouldn’t have won without him.

Covid is the thing that worries me the most about Api. He realistically could miss a bunch of important games, it’s also not out of the question that he could miss the season.

Kenny is going to be getting a bunch of game time anyway and knows that this is his chance to win the position going forward.

I’m just saying that if we had the chance to get an asset out of the tigers in return for a player that we are losing and may be on limited game time anyway. Why not look into it.
Look at the game against the Storm last year early in the year that Kikau won at the last second. Storm had the same game plan use for NAS in the gf. Have NAS run at Luai as much as he could, they identified him as the guy who struggles the most to win the ruck against a destructive forward (I'm not saying he's terrible at it or anything just the least good) and targeted him to get as many quick play the balls and generate as much momentum as he could.

They didn't target Kenny who they didn't have detailed info on. Later that season Broncos targeted Kenny (or Lodge did at first) and we got smashed up the middle with Kenny missing a bunch of tackles/getting bumped and coming again and struggled when picked out as a target in the line first by Lodge in the first game then by Hass in the second. He's tough as he's willing but when really destructive props single him out to run at he seems to struggle in defence in comparison to say Api, McInnes, Cook, Mcullough, Smith, Mahoney who hold their own much better in defence.

Only won the first through Cleary's kicking and Brisbane's poor game management going for a long shot field goal when they were easily making metres up the middle and we were struggling out of our own end. 9/10 you lose the middle you lose the game. It makes it very hard winning going up against any team with NAS, JWH, AFB, Hass, TPJ (if he stays good) unless Kenny improves his technique assuming those teams know this going into the match.

Tbf to him Kenny just kept throwing himself at Lodge towards the backend without any real technique and sorta forced a vital knock on by being a speed bump so some second player could came in and force the ball lose because Lodge lost most of his momentum bumping him away and that sums Kenny up. All enthusiasm, toughness and fitness and everything else is a work in progress. I like Kenny for his competitive spirit and toughness and I think others can do and that's why he's a bit of a cult player but Api is player who handles himself against pretty much any middle as well as any hooker in the world. His low tackling technique is awesome and Kenny isn't close in that almost as much as he is behind in attack. What Kenny has going for him is his stamina and competitiveness which isn't something to scoff at.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
The team looks decidedly down on firepower this year, black to black you’re asking for a lot.

I would have cashed in two of the 22 backline easily to get Burto to stay. Anyone except Brian and Nate.

I think he’s factory for a fullback but he’s stable and reliable. Without the freaks and behemoths in front of him this year, he’s going need to get some flair and skill into his game. Where’s that coming from?

It’s really going to be up to Ivan and co to teach the kids courage and how to “smug” properly.

Nate is in for a rough time with his shoulder worries and less competent surrounds. I predict more conservative footy from the whole side. Not quite enough talent for the riot of last year. On paper anyway.

Nathan is already back to full training he is fine. Tago looks likely to take Burtons spot and is one of the most exciting prospects we have had in a long time. I cant remember any who were as dominant at NSW cup level as he was last year at that age, he will be a nightmare for opposition teams playing outside Kikau. Clutching at straws Silverdale we clearly still have the best squad and we have the best juniors coming through. We have 3 young outside backs who absolutely excelled at NSW cup level last year, they will plug any holes in our back line. The backline players who are there from last year still have improvement in them including both halves and especially Crichton who has only just begun to show how good he will be in the years to come. We are going to a big problem this season, only mass injuries or a lack of hunger will keep us from another deep finals run. The only real question mark in our team as far as the top 17 goes is the bench back rower, besides that the team picks itself and has plenty of depth. That is the benefit of being the best development club in the game, losing a star just opens up a spot for another potential star.

DinkyDi

Juniors

Also, we have the current NSW halves, which has been ranked #1. https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...0dHYdu-OlxDar1pqMVMZYzhlbQAGc7pNraPHZX3OClfEc

Iamback

Coach
Nathan is already back to full training he is fine. Tago looks likely to take Burtons spot and is one of the most exciting prospects we have had in a long time. I cant remember any who were as dominant at NSW cup level as he was last year at that age, he will be a nightmare for opposition teams playing outside Kikau. Clutching at straws Silverdale we clearly still have the best squad and we have the best juniors coming through. We have 3 young outside backs who absolutely excelled at NSW cup level last year, they will plug any holes in our back line. The backline players who are there from last year still have improvement in them including both halves and especially Crichton who has only just begun to show how good he will be in the years to come. We are going to a big problem this season, only mass injuries or a lack of hunger will keep us from another deep finals run. The only real question mark in our team as far as the top 17 goes is the bench back rower, besides that the team picks itself and has plenty of depth. That is the benefit of being the best development club in the game, losing a star just opens up a spot for another potential star.

We will look better when Tago is playing in Kik's spot.
For me we will finish higher in 2023 then we will next season. Happy to be proven wrong though

I don’t think the sheer number and quality of the players that have been released are as easily replaced.

Last year was the result of very good prior planning to assemble a squad of extreme might and power and even then, well coached but there were some close moments and some good fortune.

I just don’t see the same type of side. Ivan will no doubt apply his coaching expertise.

A couple of injuries here and there and that backline is a worry compared to last season.

It will be engaging though to see how they settle in. No doubt the effort will be there at least.

Sans any catastrophe, I’m thinking top 6 and then see what can be done in the finals.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
I don’t think the sheer number and quality of the players that have been released are as easily replaced.

Last year was the result of very good prior planning to assemble a squad of extreme might and power and even then, well coached but there were some close moments and some good fortune.

I just don’t see the same type of side. Ivan will no doubt apply his coaching expertise.

A couple of injuries here and there and that backline is a worry compared to last season.

It will be engaging though to see how they settle in. No doubt the effort will be there at least.

Sans any catastrophe, I’m thinking top 6 and then see what can done in the finals.

For me it is the young guys missing so much footy over the last 2 seasons that is the issue. It will take those guys a while to find their feet

betcats

Referee

Sans any catastrophe, I’m thinking top 6 and then see what can be done in the finals.

For next year its burton, Capewell and Mom to be replaced, Tyrone May also and we might miss his versatility off the bench but I think we have that covered, there are a few possibilities for that bench spot. As stated we have heard Tago is looking at getting first crack and Burtons spot and he is very talented. Crichton will play centre in place of mom which is an upgrade and Staines and Taylan May will be battling for the wing spot. Liam Martin starts in place of Capewell which leaves a bench back row spot open.

I am not worried about the backline at all tbh, I am looking forward to seeing the young guys like Turuva and Jenkins get a go when that happens, they are very impressive prospects plus we will have may or staines outside the top 17 and some more experienced guys like Rob Jennings, Saelmon and C.Chricton to provide depth. Most importantly its the same spine and only one change to the forward pack. We have a number of good young forwards who should improve to go with the very experienced core of Yeo, Fish, Kiks and leota. We will be in the top four barring a terrible injury toll. The entire side is still in their prime or not yet reached it, there is every chance we are a better side in 2022 imo.

The_Frog

First Grade
Umm yeah, you can say that, because it’s true.
The dogs offered a bit more than us and the opportunity to start.

That’s what happened, that’s not my opinion, that’s actually what happened.
Some thought he might make a decent first grade centre, but no-one, not a soul had any idea what a success he'd be in that position, to the point where he made the team of the year with no controversy whatsoever. Panthers could not offer him a position in the halves and Bulldogs could. So a convergence of events led to him getting away to the Dogs.

betcats

Referee
In regards to Burtons contract, it might look like unders now but it wasnt when he signed it in 2020. The idea we let him go with out much of a fight is plain wrong. He knocked back the dogs first offer and was staying with us, wasnt until the dogs upped their offer that he left.

Iamback

Coach
For next year its burton, Capewell and Mom to be replaced, Tyrone May also and we might miss his versatility off the bench but I think we have that covered, there are a few possibilities for that bench spot. As stated we have heard Tago is looking at getting first crack and Burtons spot and he is very talented. Crichton will play centre in place of mom which is an upgrade and Staines and Taylan May will be battling for the wing spot. Liam Martin starts in place of Capewell which leaves a bench back row spot open.

I am not worried about the backline at all tbh, I am looking forward to seeing the young guys like Turuva and Jenkins get a go when that happens, they are very impressive prospects plus we will have may or staines outside the top 17 and some more experienced guys like Rob Jennings, Saelmon and C.Chricton to provide depth. Most importantly its the same spine and only one change to the forward pack. We have a number of good young forwards who should improve to go with the very experienced core of Yeo, Fish, Kiks and leota. We will be in the top four barring a terrible injury toll. The entire side is still in their prime or not yet reached it, there is every chance we are a better side in 2022 imo.

Our top 17 can win the comp. Problem is very light under that.

Naden played a semi, Played all the finals in 2020
Capewell speaks from himself
Burton/May were the back up halves.

I know May wasn't liked from a playing point on view. Having him on the bench allowed the rotations of the pack to go to plan.
Bench makeup is going to be an issue too.

I agree we are top 4 regardless. We have enough to bash the weaker sides but if we are a few injuries deep then I see us struggling against the other top sides

betcats

Referee

I know May wasn't liked from a playing point on view. Having him on the bench allowed the rotations of the pack to go to plan.

I agree we are top 4 regardless. We have enough to bash the weaker sides but if we are a few injuries deep then I see us struggling against the other top sides

I really only see Burton and Capewell as losses tbh. Naden was a good attacking player but he often was a liability in defence. May was a handy utility player but I think Saelmon can do the same role if not him then Kenny is a handy bench player also. The other thing is we went through our finals with a large amount of players and still beat the storm and souths who were the other two sides making up the top 3.

I think our depth is fine, the only concern for me is the back row back ups but we have been very good at developing over the last few years even with the games missed due to covid I see no reason not to expect some of our young guys to continue improving. Hopgood and Smith were solid or better in their few FG games last year, Taylan May was excellent in his one game and all those guys plus plenty of other were outstanding in reserve grade.

Also both the storm and rabbits look like they will struggle to imrpove or match their 2021 efforts. Reynold and bennet are big losses for souths, as are Finucane and Hynes for the storm. They also might lose NAS and the big fijian fella who has some legal troubles. The roosters look good but besides them i dont see any improvement in the rest of the top 8 from 2021, if we can stay healthy we should be able to look better in attack than we did through the finals for sure.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
I really only see Burton and Capewell as losses tbh. Naden was a good attacking player but he often was a liability in defence. May was a handy utility player but I think Saelmon can do the same role if not him then Kenny is a handy bench player also. The other thing is we went through our finals with a large amount of players and still beat the storm and souths who were the other two sides making up the top 3.

I think our depth is fine, the only concern for me is the back row back ups but we have been very good at developing over the last few years even with the games missed due to covid I see no reason not to expect some of our young guys to continue improving. Hopgood and Smith were solid or better in their few FG games last year, Taylan May was excellent in his one game and all those guys plus plenty of other were outstanding in reserve grade.

Also both the storm and rabbits look like they will struggle to imrpove or match their 2021 efforts. Reynold and bennet are big losses for souths, as are Finucane and Hynes for the storm. They also might lose NAS and the big fijian fella who has some legal troubles. The roosters look good but besides them i dont see any improvement in the rest of the top 8 from 2021, if we can stay healthy we should be able to look better in attack than we did through the finals for sure.

You don't get better not playing though.
Imagine where we would be if Jenkins, Turuva even Taylan with the rest of the year development in NSW Cup.

That comes off 1 game the year before.

We saw how Staines couldn't get across a season last year. So they will show glimpses but if we have a couple of rookies in the big games at the end of the season. Then we won't lift the trophy

betcats

Referee
You don't get better not playing though.
Imagine where we would be if Jenkins, Turuva even Taylan with the rest of the year development in NSW Cup.

That comes off 1 game the year before.

We saw how Staines couldn't get across a season last year. So they will show glimpses but if we have a couple of rookies in the big games at the end of the season. Then we won't lift the trophy

A lot of those young guys got better in 2021 despite barely playing in 2020. Guys like Tago and Turuva stepped up to reserve grade from a few sg ball games in 2020. Tago made it all the way to first grade. Taylan May was similar, played a couple flegg games in 2020 and still improved in 2021. Burton is another one who barely played in 2020 nad was a better player in 2021. There was more lower league games in 2021 then there was is 2020, if they are talented and working hard off the field they will improve.

If you look across the league there were a lot of young guys who had very good seasons in 2021 who would've barely played in 2020.

Iamback

Coach
A lot of those young guys got better in 2021 despite barely playing in 2020. Guys like Tago and Turuva stepped up to reserve grade from a few sg ball games in 2020. Tago made it all the way to first grade. Taylan May was similar, played a couple flegg games in 2020 and still improved in 2021. Burton is another one who barely played in 2020 nad was a better player in 2021. There was more lower league games in 2021 then there was is 2020, if they are talented and working hard off the field they will improve.

If you look across the league there were a lot of young guys who had very good seasons in 2021 who would've barely played in 2020.

Plenty of desperate teams too. I like to compare to the sides we will be competing with. Roosters are a good example with Sam Walker in and out of the side needed more footy against adults.

Those guys you mentioned are likely in that same boat

Tago for example hasn't even played a full NRL game. Yet is going to play 30 full games straight at an elite level?

I can't see it

That’s how I see it and I honestly think people are underestimating the might and the power of 2021.

Nate may be fine now, but every player the game knows his shoulder is dodgy and it’s only going to take one or two poundings to invite reoccurrence. It required surgery. It’s still healing.

Also, my recollection is that you had a good run with injury last season. Stars aligning.

I think it’s appropriate not to raise expectations too high and play it by ear.

It will be intriguing to see who handles it and who doesn’t. It’s a brutal sport, Ivan has to thread the needle.

That’s not to be unkind, just realistic.