What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
happy Straya Day or invasion day, depending on your pov
Why can't it be both? Without colonisation most of us wouldn't be here. I understand some people not wanting to celebrate it but most of us should be stoked. We would be worse off if our ancestors had stayed where they came from.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Thanks for ruining the plot. I was halfway through the first season FFS!
I stopped watching at s1e6. I know this because I made a note in my phone. I'll get around to it eventually. I'm actually three episodes away from finishing the Sopranos, which finished 15 years ago. Bit of a late adopter.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Why can't it be both?

well currently it is both, but I also see both sides of the argument and I don't believe there is a solution

John Howard decided to throw money at it and created ATSIC and what a f**king disaster that was and Tony f**king Abbott decided they were a financial liability and took away a lot of their funding in the Kimberlys instead of investing in their culture which will eventually fade as they had to leave their lands if they wanted to receive welfare and live in the rural cities

without investing in their culture, it will be lost

we've gone way too far up the wrong road to rectify the situation now imo

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Cultures aren't lost, they evolve and merge. The culture of the descendants of the English colonists is unrecognisable today from 230 years ago. Nobody thinks the government should be spending money preserving it.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

65,000 now ?

it used to be 40,000 years for an eternity, then it jumped to 60,000 now its 65,000

then there was talk about "mungo man" who dated back further, but no one seems to want to discuss that now as the indigenous people refer to themselves as the nations first people

not sure what happened there as its not discussed anymore

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
65,000 now ?

it used to be 40,000 years for an eternity, then it jumped to 60,000 now its 65,000

then there was talk about "mungo man" who dated back further, but no one seems to want to discuss that now as the indigenous people refer to themselves as the nations first people

not sure what happened there as its not discussed anymore
No doubt there was plenty of genocide before literacy arrived in various parts of the world.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
spin doctoring,

they will be lost, but that's just my opinion
In all of my experiences with First Nations groups they want their way of life respected and recognised but they are also very keen to become self sustainable and viable in the modern world. They aren’t telling me that they want to live like they did pre-settlement.

84 Baby

Referee
So why use it then? Pick another date that doesn't just happen to coincide with begining of grand larceny. You can acknowledge the January 26th/28th event without making it Australia Day. It's a bit rich having a bunch of non-indigenous people telling them how they should feel about this (granted, there are indigenous people who'd prefer that we stick with the date now). The fact that people say 'happy Australia day' tells you what you need to know about the amount of respect that many have for what went on.
Regardless of what date it is changed to, will the connotations change? I think a name change may be more apt, but I’d also suggest Invasion Day could be softened, particularly if some woke whitey was the one demanding it.
But whatever happens, the only realistic option is to recognise the indigenous peoples history and celebrate their culture. But doing that one day a year is lip service

Gronk

Staff member
Regardless of what date it is changed to, will the connotations change? I think a name change may be more apt, but I’d also suggest Invasion Day could be softened, particularly if some woke whitey was the one demanding it.
But whatever happens, the only realistic option is to recognise the indigenous peoples history and celebrate their culture. But doing that one day a year is lip service
Constitutional recognition wouldn’t be lip service.

Well the connatations have a better chance of changing if you don't hold the thing on January 26. Of course, this alone doesn't solve anything. I agree with the last 2 sentences.

Eelogical

Referee
some people prefer division just because

I can imagine if it was decided to scrap it to hold it on another day, there would be an uproar from the right and no one will be able to agree on what other day to celebrate

its something that will never be agreed on imo
I'm of the belief that it's best to leave it as it is. By continually pushing the date change agenda only divides us further. I don't think it achieves anything, it actually breeds animosity from the wider community and provides an avenue for the protesters to continue with their diatribe. They'll find a new agenda. While I deeply sympathise with the indigenous population regarding the 'invasion', there's not a lot I can do about that. I also see that the Central Coast Council didn't allow the Australian flag to be hung in Umina's main St because it 'may offend someone'. Rather than contributing to help rectify our issues there are a lot who would rather continue widening the gap.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Constitutional recognition wouldn’t be lip service.
Yes it would. What f**king difference does it make if it's recognised in the Constitution other than to further entrech the indigenous vs non-indigenous divide? Is it going to lead to real life outcomes?

Suitman

Post Whore
I'm of the belief that it's best to leave it as it is. By continually pushing the date change agenda only divides us further. I don't think it achieves anything, it actually breeds animosity from the wider community and provides an avenue for the protesters to continue with their diatribe. They'll find a new agenda. While I deeply sympathise with the indigenous population regarding the 'invasion', there's not a lot I can do about that. I also see that the Central Coast Council didn't allow the Australian flag to be hung in Umina's main St because it 'may offend someone'. Rather than contributing to help rectify our issues there are a lot who would rather continue widening the gap.

I do not understand why we couldn't/can't just add another national public holiday to our calendar year to celebrate our countries indigenous culture. Hell, make a whole week of it. Make it a huge celebration. It deserves to be celebrated.
January 26th will continue to be a devisive day. Maybe we can change that date - I don't really know what day would be better or more inclusive.
Surely there is a day or two every year that all parties could get majority agreement.
Sorting this shite out is just taking too long, and as each year passes, it just becomes more derisive.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Yes it would. What f**king difference does it make if it's recognised in the Constitution other than to further entrech the indigenous vs non-indigenous divide? Is it going to lead to real life outcomes?

That would depend entirely upon the way it is done.

Like for example that other time when we changed the constitution to enable first nations people to vote.

Latest posts