What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Do you feel Capewell was that good? Or did the system help him a little?

When the Storm replace a guy and he looks the goods right away is it the player or the coaching staff and system?

Look at Papali'i. How did he go from a bench player to a premium forward in one off season? And why are the Eels constantly producing forwards?

I think its the system more then anything. I will tip Papali'i to go backwards once he goes to the Tigers and by 2023 a few more forwards will look as good at the Eels.
Watch Greig and Ogden. Two rejects from former clubs this season.

So as much as a player must have talent the system is needed to take them to another level.

Burton I think is an exemption being so talented. How will all the other Bulldog players go? Do you think JAC will still be the best winger in game? Will Cotric regain form at Raiders?

Panthers should have cash to spend for sure. The money they paid for RCG AND BLAKE will end this season also.
There is going to be a lot of suprise packets pop up from nowhere and smart clubs no this. Plenty of these 19-20ylds who barely been playing would have been working the gym and physically developing.
Smart clubs are keeping money spare to see which ones do pop up.
Dogs and Tigers have analed themself and won't be in the market. Bennet and the Dolphins will benefit largely and I reckon its why old Wayne is not panicking and signing some older experienced players. He is going to flood the side with hot young talent.

Both. He was underutilised at the Sharks and he grew in our system. He will be missed.

Papali'li always showed glimpses of talent at the Warriors but never consistent. He needed a fresh change and probably had a point to prove. The Eels some deserve credit for getting the best out of last year. I can't see him hitting those heights again at the Tigers.

Cotric will be back in his comfort zone and will be better than he was at the Dogs. Though, I feel he would be a much better player in our system or at the Storm.

Original Name

Juniors
Do you feel Capewell was that good? Or did the system help him a little?

When the Storm replace a guy and he looks the goods right away is it the player or the coaching staff and system?
He was that good. Capewell is an absolute work horse in defence with a bit of ability with the ball here and now. Sterlo's said he was the best defender on the park in that Eels vs Penrith final. It'll be that I'll get through the shit work and be an unsung hero attitude that we'll miss from him in big games when fatigue comes into it.m

Last edited:

GowersDallyM

Juniors
I've mentioned this before and I'll mention it again...Ben Hunt will be off contract at the end of this is coming season pretty sure. He is a halfback but IMO he is a much better hooker as he has shown many times for QLD.

I'm sure alot of desperate teams will throw crazy money at him but he hasn't won a ring and well I'm sure he'd want to win one, so unless Storm, Rabbits or maybe even Roosters don't offer him a contract he maybe interested I'm playing 9 at panthers for say around 500k a year compared to the 800-900k he is on.

I highly doubt he would want to be a full-time hooker but who knows with that guy but man he would be very handy in replacing Api.

Original Name

Juniors
I've mentioned this before and I'll mention it again...Ben Hunt will be off contract at the end of this is coming season pretty sure. He is a halfback but IMO he is a much better hooker as he has shown many times for QLD.

I'm sure alot of desperate teams will throw crazy money at him but he hasn't won a ring and well I'm sure he'd want to win one, so unless Storm, Rabbits or maybe even Roosters don't offer him a contract he maybe interested I'm playing 9 at panthers for say around 500k a year compared to the 800-900k he is on.

I highly doubt he would want to be a full-time hooker but who knows with that guy but man he would be very handy in replacing Api.
Hunt has also talked about how he views himself as a halfback. He'll play hooker for the sake of the team if nessarary but signing on to play hooker and tackle guys 20 kilos bigger than you is a bit different than your own coach asking you to do it for a couple of weeks. Watching a couple interviews I get the feeling he'll play wherever for QLD but isn't too enthused playing hooker in club land. And most wouldn't. There's a reason most hookers are grubs. Anyone small who wants to tackle guys 15-20 bigger than them 55 times every week for 28 weeks is a bit of a weirdo.

GowersDallyM

Juniors
Hunt has also talked about how he views himself as a halfback. He'll play hooker for the sake of the team if nessarary but signing on to play hooker and tackle guys 20 kilos bigger than you is a bit different than your own coach asking you to do it for a couple of weeks. Watching a couple interviews I get the feeling he'll play wherever for QLD but isn't too enthused playing hooker in club land. And most wouldn't. There's a reason most hookers are grubs. Anyone small who wants to tackle guys 15-20 bigger than them 55 times every week for 28 weeks is a bit of a weirdo.
Yeah agreed.. halfback was always the most important position over the years but geez hooker is really starting to become the most important aswell as fullback! Guess that's why the best spines win the big games.

maple_69

Bench
Let's see how Burton goes. Cause face it. He has been built up as the next immortal it feels like. Most hyped young player in a very long time.
Opposition have yet had a chance to get a good look at him in the halves. A chances to find his weaknesses and too limit his strengths. I think he will rise. But young Sam Walker and Walsh to me look atleast as talented
I think Walker is definitely there with Burton. Has great vision, footy sense and passing game. Can’t tackle. Burton has a great kicking, running game and defence. I haven’t seen great vision out of him yet. Walsh has the running game for sure but I’m not sure how big his toolbox is.

As you said system plays a huge part and as it stands Walker is in the best situation to reach his potential.

Fangs

Coach

Not a bad idea but halfbacks are still in short supply. He will still field big money offers to play 7 elsewhere.

Might happen when he really starts slowing down or has a bad injury.

Kilkenny

Coach

I think Ben Hunts deal had him earning well over a million a season.

He is a QLD boy so there is a strong chance he could end up at Redcliffe who are in need of a half back for there inaugural season.

He is 32 years old in a month or so, 33 by time next season rolls around. Would definitely do a job for the new franchise for a season or two but of no use to us.

CCJohnC

Juniors
I think Ben Hunts deal had him earning well over a million a season.

He is a QLD boy so there is a strong chance he could end up at Redcliffe who are in need of a half back for there inaugural season.

He is 32 years old in a month or so, 33 by time next season rolls around. Would definitely do a job for the new franchise for a season or two but of no use to us.
I would not go Hunting for him either.

Kilkenny

Coach
I would not go Hunting for him either.
I excuse the pun.

I think clearly there is a plan in place going forward.

There are half a dozen or more young players in our system who may develop into quality NRL players. Ideally, we unearth some in those areas where we are lacking, outside backs is one such area Where there are question marks.

Latest posts