What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

I’d say the connection of issues is very strong. How much do you hear Change The Date, Always Was Always Will Be or about indigenous affairs outside mid-late January?
If changing the date was part of a larger indigenous recognition plan then great, but I think if it is changed, the new date will have no cultural reference and the reason it was moved would quickly be forgotten.

Well you won't hear 'change the date' in late January if there is no Australia Day at that time, but you may well still have annual events 'commemorating' what happened on that day. My problem with it, and that of many people is the conflation of a celebration with the date of initial dispossession. (note how I used the word 'conflation' to annoy @lingard )

If we have a holiday on Jan 26, and rename it and consider it a more solemn reflection on our history, and don't have dumb arse bogans using the flag as beach towel, well maybe.... but any such event has more chance of acceptance outside Jan 26. And Jan 26 is not a particularly relevant date for much of non-indigenous Australia anyway. It is historically irrelevant to South Australia and Western Australia, which were founded independent of NSW.

emjaycee

Coach
Australia Day should be transferred to the 9th May and represent the day of the opening of the First Parliament of the Commonwealth of Australia. Easy.

emjaycee

Coach
Changing the date we celebrate Australia Day is as politically as dangerous as trying to change the flag.
Any government that attempts to change the date will be seen as succumbing to the anti-Australia Day/Invasion Day minority and I don't believe we will see a government with the balls to do that in Twizzles lifetime.

hindy111

Post Whore
Australia Day should be transferred to the 9th May and represent the day of the opening of the First Parliament of the Commonwealth of Australia. Easy.

I have always felt new years day would work well. And make Christmas eve a public holiday. Or new years Eve a public holiday. It would be good for holidays. A lot of people would go away.

Last edited:

84 Baby

Referee
Well you won't hear 'change the date' in late January if there is no Australia Day at that time, but you may well still have annual events 'commemorating' what happened on that day. My problem with it, and that of many people is the conflation of a celebration with the date of initial dispossession. (note how I used the word 'conflation' to annoy @lingard )

If we have a holiday on Jan 26, and rename it and consider it a more solemn reflection on our history, and don't have dumb arse bogans using the flag as beach towel, well maybe.... but any such event has more chance of acceptance outside Jan 26. And Jan 26 is not a particularly relevant date for much of non-indigenous Australia anyway. It is historically irrelevant to South Australia and Western Australia, which were founded independent of NSW.
Dude that was yesterday. No one cares today other than some mess on some beaches

Bandwagon

Staff member
But they are equal. They have the same rights as every other Australian. How could they be made more equal under the law? There is nothing else. The only area they are unequal is demographics, which isn't government's place to correct. How could it? Non-indigenous Australians aren't a homogenous group. How could a government enforce parity between groups of people numbering in the hundreds of thousands?

But it's the law does not make it so. Elsewise we'd not need jails and shit.

And a society is a lot more than the laws that govern it.

TBH mate this is little more than nonsense. Were you pissed when you typed it out, or just real hungover?

Gronk

Staff member
Changing the date we celebrate Australia Day is as politically as dangerous as trying to change the flag.
Any government that attempts to change the date will be seen as succumbing to the anti-Australia Day/Invasion Day minority and I don't believe we will see a government with the balls to do that in Twizzles lifetime.
1643271021739.jpeg