What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prediction poll - who will get the 18th team?

Who will be the 18th NRL team?

• Brisbane Firehawks

• Brisbane Jets

• Brisbane other bid (including merged Firehawks/Jets - please specify)

• Perth

• Wellington

• Christchurch

• The Bears

• Other (Please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.
P

Pre SL we had 10k registered players in WA. The game is still a long long way from being where it was in the early 90’s Despite the billions of $’s it has received in the last 20 years.
Makes you wonder How we did it back then with no money yet with all the money the game now has we aren’t close to being back there?
Western Australians are more open-minded than Victorians. It's why I'd have two teams in Perth by 2075 but just one in Melbourne.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Unless there's monumental change in how the sport is administered in this country there's zero chance that the NRL expands to 20 teams by 2030.

Team 18 will come in somewhere between 2025-28, then it'll be a decade minimum before the NRL expands again.
It’s taken 16 years to go from 16 to 17! Probably another 5 years plus on top of that to go to 18. The chances of going to 20 clubs before 2050 ish seem slim!

We're possibly looking at further expansion to 18 at some point during the life of the next broadcast deal 2023 - 27 & I'd say we will do 2 teams in the next leap after one deal of it staying at 18 , so we will be at 20 teams for the start of the 2033 season.
Brisb 3
Perth
NZ2 will all be in. As for who , when .. well theres arguments for all 3 before 2027.

Last edited:
We're possibly looking at further expansion to 18 at some point during the life of the next broadcast deal 2023 - 27 & I'd say we will do 2 teams in the next leap after one deal of it staying at 18 , so we will be at 20 teams for the start of the 2033 season.
Brisb 3
Perth
NZ2 will all be in. As for who , when .. well theres arguments for all 3 before 2027.
It is my opinion that New Zealand will have a 2nd NRL club and another NRL club in Queensland before Perth has a NRL club.

Colk

First Grade
Brisb 3
Perth

Let’s hope so

flippikat

Bench
It is my opinion that New Zealand will have a 2nd NRL club and another NRL club in Queensland before Perth has a NRL club.
Well it's easy to get that feeling from the current administration - however, under different stewardship expansion priorities could change.

(Of course, the reactionary & conservative rump of the rugby league community may well shoot-down anyone with designs on non-heartland expansion before they actually take their chance to DO anything concrete... but hey dreams are free!)

Well it's easy to get that feeling from the current administration - however, under different stewardship expansion priorities could change.

(Of course, the reactionary & conservative rump of the rugby league community may well shoot-down anyone with designs on non-heartland expansion before they actually take their chance to DO anything concrete... but hey dreams are free!)
I'm not saying i agree with it, but i think it will happen, and i think who ever follows on from Peter V'landy's will have the same philosophy.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm not saying i agree with it, but i think it will happen, and i think who ever follows on from Peter V'landy's will have the same philosophy.
Depends, Beattie seemed gung ho for expansion into new markets. A lot will depend on how the NRl comes through covid financially. With Tv deal in the bag if they can minimise further financial disruption, by 2027 they should be in a reasonably strong financial position and that will play a big bearing in how risk averse they are with the next club.

If I was WA govt I wouldnt be paying $millions for any more NRL events until they commit to a team here. NRL only seems to care about the $'s so we should use that the other way to motivate the NRL to get committed to WA.

Marlins

Juniors
Depends, Beattie seemed gung ho for expansion into new markets. A lot will depend on how the NRl comes through covid financially. With Tv deal in the bag if they can minimise further financial disruption, by 2027 they should be in a reasonably strong financial position and that will play a big bearing in how risk averse they are with the next club.

If I was WA govt I wouldnt be paying $millions for any more NRL events until they commit to a team here. NRL only seems to care about the $'s so we should use that the other way to motivate the NRL to get committed to WA.
Well this year will probably be Perths last chance for a SOO match in while. With Origin moving back to 3 Wednesday matches next year, the time zone differences would make it too hard.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well this year will probably be Perths last chance for a SOO match in while. With Origin moving back to 3 Wednesday matches next year, the time zone differences would make it too hard.
yeh just one other reason why acquiescing to ch9 was a stupid move!

How do we know privately that the NRL hasn't committed to a NRL team in Perth in the future?
I would suggest all the while it's commercially viable Perth will continue yo host NRL games

Jamberoo

Juniors
Nah. Perth hosts weeknight AFL games that start at 6.10pm (8.10 east coast) and finish 10.50pm east coast. SOO works start same time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
On a Wednesday night in the middle of winter? Maybe.
Won’t have a problem filling it, just if the WA govt thinks it will bring the sports tourism in mid week that would justify the $millions they spend getting it. They reckon around 12k came over for it in 2019.

Perth Red

Post Whore
GWS is that urban centre that encompasses everything south-west of the SCG all the way to Canberra ;)
Maybe something we should be considering rather than mocking? After all having dual city presence has got them 15k members, got AFL a consistent footprint in a city that they are unlikely to ever put a team in and is bringing in millions of $'s for a new club. We could do worse than trying to set up a something similar for a city like Adelaide or Wellington.