What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

King-Gutho94

Coach
I am just a very casual observer when it comes to soccer. Outside of watching my mates play at grassroots.

I only watch the big games at the pro level.

But it was refreshing to hear Mark Bozza Bosnich rip into Football Australia this arvo on SEN. And that football in Australia needs a complete reboot even if they scrape into the world cup.

Great thing i have always found about Bozza is he is always constructive with his criticism and his passion on what needs to be done to improve.

Incorrect

Coach
I am just a very casual observer when it comes to soccer. Outside of watching my mates play at grassroots.

But it was refreshing to hear Mark Bozza Bosnich rip into Football Australia this arvo on SEN. And that football in Australia needs a complete reboot even if they scrape into the world cup.

Great thing i have always found about Bozza is he is always constructive with his criticism and his passion on what needs to be done to improve.
Think he's a Parra fan too!

Suitman

Post Whore

Bosnich is very passionate about football. He gets a few people off-side due to his outspoken opinions, but that is a small minority of people. He generally makes a lot of sense.
He is also a strong advocate for fans in general and active support in particular. He particularly got stuck into David Gallop over his limp response to the appalling Rebecca Wilson claims many years ago. He himself arranged a meeting between all the teams active capo's to come together (unheard of) and meet with the FFA and Gallop. The Wanderers Capo was a lawyer, and guess what? The fans won most of the concessions they were after. This was all arranged by Bosnich. He is a champion bloke.
Simon Hill (probably the best commentator in any sport in this country imo) is also a strong supporter and advocate for football and the fans in particular.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

What were his main criticisms? As a fellow casual observer I feel like there was more hype around the A-League 3-4 years ago. Expected it to take off. Not sure why the hype has disappeared.

King-Gutho94

Coach
What were his main criticisms? As a fellow casual observer I feel like there was more hype around the A-League 3-4 years ago. Expected it to take off. Not sure why the hype has disappeared.

Here is the podcast. Its 22 mins but from memory as i listened on my drive home.

He basically said problems go back to grass roots and the whole system needs to be blown up weather they make the World Cup or not.

I assume he means the streamline of club football to Prem football to A-League has no proper structure.

Said most players are robotic and arent getting the proper coaching in Australia.

Also put the acid on Arnie and the lack of plan B, C, D when plan A doesnt work.

And that FFA should be looking at a new coach for the qualifer game if they have to go down thay route against a south American to qualify for WC.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Bosnich is very passionate about football. He gets a few people off-side due to his outspoken opinions, but that is a small minority of people. He generally makes a lot of sense.
He is also a strong advocate for fans in general and active support in particular. He particularly got stuck into David Gallop over his limp response to the appalling Rebecca Wilson claims many years ago. He himself arranged a meeting between all the teams active capo's to come together (unheard of) and meet with the FFA and Gallop. The Wanderers Capo was a lawyer, and guess what? The fans won most of the concessions they were after. This was all arranged by Bosnich. He is a champion bloke.
Simon Hill (probably the best commentator in any sport in this country imo) is also a strong supporter and advocate for football and the fans in particular.

I love his laugh but your right.

I am not a big soccer fan but whenever i hear him speak on the radio or TV since he came back to Australia i reckon he is the one best analysts in this country when talking about there chosen sport.

He has no filter he will criticism anyone fairly if its deserved and generally constructive.

He has his finger on the pulse with european football as well having been a successful player over in England.

And he is a Parra supporter.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

One of those dudes with natural intelligence unencumbered by education, considering he did nothing but play f**king soccer since he was about 12 years old. He's a great commentator and analyst. Very insightful.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
For mine the best players don't stay in the league long enough. I also got sick of Sydney FC winning all the time. I don't want to follow the f**king Storm/Roosters. I like an underdog.

84 Baby

Referee

Here is the podcast. Its 22 mins but from memory as i listened on my drive home.

He basically said problems go back to grass roots and the whole system needs to be blown up weather they make the World Cup or not.

I assume he means the streamline of club football to Prem football to A-League has no proper structure.

Said most players are robotic and arent getting the proper coaching in Australia.

Also put the acid on Arnie and the lack of plan B, C, D when plan A doesnt work.

And that FFA should be looking at a new coach for the qualifer game if they have to go down thay route against a south American to qualify for WC.
Can’t disagree with too much there. I like the style we play but then things we do just make you want to stick sharp things in your eyes. I was criticising Maclaren and Leckie, but most of the alternate players are all so similar. For the most actively participated sport, just having the same players churning out is obviously a structural issue.
Covid is part of the problem and FFA Cup was step in right direction but there’s such a big disconnect between A-League, lower tiers and youth comps.
And I’m not gonna lump everything on Arnold. Teams, particularly in Asia, have played against us the same way for decades now through multiple coaches, and yet we still haven’t adjusted to nullify it

84 Baby

Referee
the-simpsons-simpsons.gif

Suitman

Post Whore
For mine the best players don't stay in the league long enough. I also got sick of Sydney FC winning all the time. I don't want to follow the f**king Storm/Roosters. I like an underdog.

Until we get a transfer system into place and a 2nd division and promotion and relegation, things won't change.

Ange is doing extraordinary things at Celtic. I've never been a SPL fan but I am now.
Go the Catholics!!

Why follow Smeltic when you can follow Hibs? Lots of Oz connections too. Martin Boyle, Jamie McLaren & Mark Milligan are all recent examples. You know it makes sense...

Latest posts