What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has expansion actually brought in any more money?

Immediately the number of RL supporters and viewers won't change much. However, it is the long-term securing of SEQ as a RL area that is at play here. The next generation will grow up with three clubs in SEQ and maybe a fourth in the future. It puts a squeeze on RU and AFL and makes it harder for them to put expansion teams in the area.
It will be interesting to see what affect the Dolphins will have on the Bronco's as far as crowd/supporter numbers and sponsors go - how many supporters/sponsors will switch to the Dolphins.

It may not happen straight away and may take some time to occur depending how quickly the Dolphins can be a competitive club.

I think you're letting your dislike of Melbourne/Victoria cloud your judgement and reasoning.
You left out Lleyton Hewitt from Adelaide as he won 2 GS's

mmm Pat Cash has won a GS as has Dylan Alcott who won the Golden Slam last year as well (all 4 Grand slams and an Olympic Gold Medal) as well as other GS.- Both born in Melbourne

I am sure there are quite a few legend and great VFL/AFL players that Melbourne/Victoria produced though - for an example You leave out other sports people such as Shane Warne/Bill Lawry/Aaron Finch/Glenn Maxwell/Dean Jones/Ben Simmons/Andrew Bogut /Andrew Gaze/Peter Norman/Mark Viduka/Michelle Payne/Penny Taylor to name a few
I didn't say Victoria doesn't produce any classy athletes. I said they produce "bugger all", which I believed meant very few.

Most of Australia's best athletes are from Queensland and NSW. Our first Gold Medalist at the Winter Games is from Logan. The current leader of the women's skeleton is from Brisbane. Most of our beat swimmers are from Queensland. Cathy Freeman and Sally Pearson are from Queensland. Other than Shane Warne, most of Australia's great cricketers are from NSW.

Dylan Alcott dominated in a limited sport because he lived within a stone's throw of Melbourne Park and was more professional in his approach than his competitors. There's only a very small pool players in quad wheelchair tennis. Only eight players enter the competition, so he only needed to win 3 matches. It's far harder to win a Men's or Women's Singles Grand Slam as there are hundreds of people competing for a spot in a field that has 128 players. That's seven matches that a player has to win in a row if they don't have to play in the qualifiers.

I didn't forget about Lleyton Hewitt. I said "three of the last four" grand slam champions are from Queensland. That's true. Hewitt also won his Grand Slams win Sampras, Agassi and Rafter were past their peak and Federer was still finding his feet. Once Federer reached his peak he wiped the court with Hewitt at every grand slam. The only time I remember Hewitt getting the better of Federer was at the Brisbane International around a decade ago.

Cash won his only grand slam in the 80s and was born almost 57 years ago. I said Melbourne hasn't produced any one decent in the last five decades.

The Australian Open should be in Brisbane and played indoors.

Fumbleball players are not athletes. They're failed clowns who cannot get a gig with the circus as they cannot juggle

Last edited:
Just one small problem with your idea - where does the money come from for a professional second tier comp - also if you relegate teams those teams wont be seen again. Aus doesn't have the population or the finance to fund professional second tier comps - i gather when you say professional you mean full time professionals
I brought this up in another thread. I said it would be good if one of the streaming services put $30m to $40m a year to fund a fully professional national competition that covers 8 or 12 teams from Queensland, NSW, Adelaide and Perth. It would probably draw higher ratings than the A-League, which gets $40m or $50m a year and delivers terrible ratings.

Catering to Sydney how do you think that and on what basis and facts - many NSW folk feel it's the other way around catering to QLD and ignoring Sydney and NSW
For a start, whenever a Sydney club falls on hard times it is bailed out by head office. The annual grant was raised to 130% of the salary cap to keep financially unviable Sydney clubs alive as they cannot attract the calibre of sponsors that line up to paint their brand over the jerseys of teams from unsaturated areas.

When pokies were illegal in Queensland, which was all the way up until 1992, the NSWRL clubs used their revenue from pokies - - which they had access to since the 1950s - - to raid the BRL and plunder it into irrelevance. They spat in the face of the BRL by putting a team in Brisbane and forcing it to play all finals games in Sydney, regardless of whether it finished ahead of the Sydney teams it played against. If the NSWRL were consistent then they would have let unviable Sydney clubs die in the 1990s, but instead they cried like brats about history and tradition, despite pissing on the history and tradition of BRL clubs, some of whom were older than some of the Sydney clubs who were carrying on like sooks.

The GF is played in Sydney every year to advantage the Sydney clubs, even when there weren't any suitable stadia available during the rebuild of the SFS and Stadium Australia was unavailable.

NSWRL were against SOO because they're stupid and run by idiots, but when they eventually realised it was a winner - - which took them a few years after the QRL already knew it would be huge - - they turned it into a money-making circus to generate money for failed Sydney clubs that should be playing park football. If the NSWRL and its supporters who rant about history and tradition being the reason Sydney needs nine teams and the GF every year, then every State of Origin match would be played at Lang Park because the series was created by the QRL and originally played at Lang Park during its initial years.

Logan has 330k people. Ipswich has 240k people. Neither city is under consideration to have their own NRL team confined just to their residents and named after their respective cities. Parramatta has 250k people. Penrith has 210k people. Both cities have their own teams. A massive double standard.

Dolphins are not allowed to call themselves Redcliffe, but Manly and Cronulla are allowed to call themselves Manly and Cronulla. Dolphins are richer and has 420k fans in Moreton Bay. Sutherland is much smaller and Manly is just a tiny suburb.

Illawarra were allowed to use the colours red and white, despite St George being in the competition, but Redcliffe are not allowed to use red and white because St George are in the competition.

PVL bailed Cronulla out when they were bust, but said Dolphins need to be solvent. A massive double standard.

Any person from Sydney who looks at all of these facts and thinks Sydney teams are at a disadvantage is an idiot.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
I didn't say Victoria doesn't produce any classy athletes. I said they produce "bugger all", which I believed meant very few.

Most of Australia's best athletes are from Queensland and NSW. Our first Gold Medalist at the Winter Games is from Logan. The current leader of the women's skeleton is from Brisbane. Most of our beat swimmers are from Queensland. Cathy Freeman and Sally Pearson are from Queensland. Other than Shane Warne, most of Australia's great cricketers are from NSW.

Dylan Alcott dominated in a limited sport because he lived within a stone's throw of Melbourne Park and was more professional in his approach than his competitors. There's only a very small pool players in quad wheelchair tennis. Only eight players enter the competition, so he only needed to win 3 matches. It's far harder to win a Men's or Women's Singles Grand Slam as there are hundreds of people competing for a spot in a field that has 128 players. That's seven matches that a player has to win in a row if they don't have to play in the qualifiers.

I didn't forget about Lleyton Hewitt. I said "three of the last four" grand slam champions are from Queensland. That's true. Hewitt also won his Grand Slams win Sampras, Agassi and Rafter were past their peak and Federer was still finding his feet. Once Federer reached his peak he wiped the court with Hewitt at every grand slam. The only time I remember Hewitt getting the better of Federer was at the Brisbane International around a decade ago.

Cash won his only grand slam in the 80s and was born almost 57 years ago. I said Melbourne hasn't produced any one decent in the last five decades.

Fumbleball players are not athletes. They're failed clowns who cannot get a gig with the circus as they cannot juggle

I was actually thinking about what you said about Victoria and you are bloody well right.

For example, in cricket, you could clearly argue that whilst NSW (obviously) have dominated the national team for a long time, almost all of the other states have produced more long standing Test cricketers than Victoria. You could count the amount of Test cricketers (Warne, Reiffel, Fleming, Hughes, Jones, Siddle, Pattison and Elliott) from Victoria that have played more than say 5-10 matches over the past 40 years. I’d say Qld and WA have definitely produced more than that and even SA would be close to that. Pretty ordinary for a state of their population. You are right about tennis as well. Obviously totally agree with fumbleball - seems to fit right with their athletic prowess and mental capacity.

The thing that annoys me most though is the disproportionate amount of sport commentators/media personalities from Victoria. Every sporting event has to have some Victorian commentating on it - refer Olympics, Cricket, Tennis - and they are all terribly annoying and over the top.

I was actually thinking about what you said about Victoria and you are bloody well right.

For example, in cricket, you could clearly argue that whilst NSW (obviously) have dominated the national team for a long time, almost all of the other states have produced more long standing Test cricketers than Victoria. You could count the amount of Test cricketers (Warne, Reiffel, Fleming, Hughes, Jones, Siddle, Pattison and Elliott) from Victoria that have played more than say 5-10 matches over the past 40 years. I’d say Qld and WA have definitely produced more than that and even SA would be close to that. Pretty ordinary for a state of their population. You are right about tennis as well. Obviously totally agree with fumbleball - seems to fit right with their athletic prowess and mental capacity.

The thing that annoys me most though is the disproportionate amount of sport commentators/media personalities from Victoria. Every sporting event has to have some Victorian commentating on it - refer Olympics, Cricket, Tennis - and they are all terribly annoying and over the top.
When the Commonwealth Games were held on the Gold Coast they had that McAvaney bloke and some fat f**ker with curly hair who supports an AwFuL club called Richmond doing all the promotions. They've got Andrew Gaze hosting the Winter Olympics even though he was a basketballer. Maybe they thunk he qualifies as his hair is the same colour as snow.

Pattinson was a good fast bowler, but he wasn't Australia's best. NSW have four or five fast bowlers better than him. Mitchell Johnson was a Queenslander and spearheaded the attack for some time, destroying England and breaking Graham Smith's hand a few times. Kasprowicz and McDermott were important members of Australia's bowling attack.

Colk

First Grade
When the Commonwealth Games were held on the Gold Coast they had that McAvaney bloke and some fat f**ker with curly hair who supports an AwFuL club called Richmond doing all the promotions. They've got Andrew Gaze hosting the Winter Olympics even though he was a basketballer. Maybe they thunk he qualifies as his hair is the same colour as snow.

Pattinson was a good fast bowler, but he wasn't Australia's best. NSW have four or five fast bowlers better than him. Mitchell Johnson was a Queenslander and spearheaded the attack for some time, destroying England and breaking Graham Smith's hand a few times. Kasprowicz and McDermott were important members of Australia's bowling attack.

That show with Andrew Gaze and another dude from Victoria (I’m assuming) during the Tokyo Olympics was the probably one of the worst shows in history. They were trying to be funny but they were clearly not. Such a massive drop from Roy and HG.

That show with Andrew Gaze and another dude from Victoria (I’m assuming) during the Tokyo Olympics was the probably one of the worst shows in history. They were trying to be funny but they were clearly not. Such a massive drop from Roy and HG.
Gaze sure gets around. When he's not on Ch7 he's commentating for ESPN during NBL games.

For a start, whenever a Sydney club falls on hard times it is bailed out by head office. The annual grant was raised to 130% of the salary cap to keep financially unviable Sydney clubs alive as they cannot attract the calibre of sponsors that line up to paint their brand over the jerseys of teams from unsaturated areas.

When pokies were illegal in Queensland, which was all the way up until 1992, the NSWRL clubs used their revenue from pokies - - which they had access to since the 1950s - - to raid the BRL and plunder it into irrelevance. They spat in the face of the BRL by putting a team in Brisbane and forcing it to play all finals games in Sydney, regardless of whether it finished ahead of the Sydney teams it played against. If the NSWRL were consistent then they would have let unviable Sydney clubs die in the 1990s, but instead they cried like brats about history and tradition, despite pissing on the history and tradition of BRL clubs, some of whom were older than some of the Sydney clubs who were carrying on like sooks.

The GF is played in Sydney every year to advantage the Sydney clubs, even when there weren't any suitable stadia available during the rebuild of the SFS and Stadium Australia was unavailable.

NSWRL were against SOO because they're stupid and run by idiots, but when they eventually realised it was a winner - - which took them a few years after the QRL already knew it would be huge - - they turned it into a money-making circus to generate money for failed Sydney clubs that should be playing park football. If the NSWRL and its supporters who rant about history and tradition being the reason Sydney needs nine teams and the GF every year, then every State of Origin match would be played at Lang Park because the series was created by the QRL and originally played at Lang Park during its initial years.

Logan has 330k people. Ipswich has 240k people. Neither city is under consideration to have their own NRL team confined just to their residents and named after their respective cities. Parramatta has 250k people. Penrith has 210k people. Both cities have their own teams. A massive double standard.

Dolphins are not allowed to call themselves Redcliffe, but Manly and Cronulla are allowed to call themselves Manly and Cronulla. Dolphins are richer and has 420k fans in Moreton Bay. Sutherland is much smaller and Manly is just a tiny suburb.

Illawarra were allowed to use the colours red and white, despite St George being in the competition, but Redcliffe are not allowed to use red and white because St George are in the competition.

PVL bailed Cronulla out when they were bust, but said Dolphins need to be solvent. A massive double standard.

Any person from Sydney who looks at all of these facts and thinks Sydney teams are at a disadvantage is an idiot.
You do realise that the last two clubs bailed out by the NRL were Newcastle and Gold Coast, both non-Sydney teams?
Your Qld bias and "poor us" attitude is strong

After that the NRL has stated thst they will not bail out teams anymore. If a team now fails to sustain itself the NRL will take over the license and do what it pleases with it.

You do realise that the last two clubs bailed out by the NRL were Newcastle and Gold Coast, both non-Sydney teams?
Your Qld bias and "poor us" attitude is strong

After that the NRL has stated thst they will not bail out teams anymore. If a team now fails to sustain itself the NRL will take over the license and do what it pleases with it.
You don't have a clue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Didn’t

Didn’t the titans get bailed out? And the cowboys by news ltd who part owned the game? So 2 out of 3 queensland clubs have been bailed out by the nrl so far lol.

It will be interesting to see what affect the Dolphins will have on the Bronco's as far as crowd/supporter numbers and sponsors go - how many supporters/sponsors will switch to the Dolphins.

It may not happen straight away and may take some time to occur depending how quickly the Dolphins can be a competitive club.
Juniors as well.
The Broncos are going to have to widen their net with Junior development and get more junior coaches out there

mongoose

Coach

You are comparing Sydney clubs that entered the comp when it only was a suburban comp to brisbane based clubs who are entering a national (or semi-national) comp. Just because Sydney has these suburban clubs doesn't mean we should replicate the same landscape in Brisbane, but it also doesn't mean we should just rationalise and merge Sydney clubs. Sydney was and still is a much bigger and more economically powerful city than Brisbane, the national comp grew out from the local Sydney comp, that's just how it is.

Didn’t

Didn’t the titans get bailed out? And the cowboys by news ltd who part owned the game? So 2 out of 3 queensland clubs have been bailed out by the nrl so far lol.
Yes the Titans were bailed out- How many Gold Coast sides have they had over the years which have all failed- Seagulls/Giants/Charges. Surely their last chance to be a long term viable club.

You are comparing Sydney clubs that entered the comp when it only was a suburban comp to brisbane based clubs who are entering a national (or semi-national) comp. Just because Sydney has these suburban clubs doesn't mean we should replicate the same landscape in Brisbane, but it also doesn't mean we should just rationalise and merge Sydney clubs. Sydney was and still is a much bigger and more economically powerful city than Brisbane, the national comp grew out from the local Sydney comp, that's just how it is.
I think GROTD needs to do some research as hIs posts are very illogical and one has to say way too rusted on pro QLD/Brisbane and Anti NSW/Sydney including Victoria/Melbourne.

Illawarra Steelers played in a predominantly scarlet red jersey and St George in a predominantly white jumper with a Red V so easy to identify which is which- The Dolphins Colours are Red , White and gold trim though

1644722873790.png

You should get a job with the Queensland Tourist Board as you so love to pump up the tyres of that state big time- mmm way too much many would say.

You don't have a clue.

The NRL didn't bail the Sharks out then, and it clearly states that the club itself was in the same position to many other clubs.
The NRL owned the Titans and the Knights.
It doesn't suit your agenda so you ignore this fact.
This says more about you personally, and exposes your previously said agenda.

Didn’t

The Titans situation was caused by the global financial crisis hitting around the time they were building the Centre of Excellence, which would have been a strong money generating asset. You're always talking about clubs needing to not rely on pokies and have other revenue sources. Well the Titans were developing that, but were unfortunate enough to enter the competition just a year before the GFC.

The stadium rental costs set by the Queensland Government were very high and required the Titans to draw 18k fans through the gates to break even.

Cowboys did struggle back in the day, for the same reasons the Western Reds needed to be bailed out just weeks after entering the ARL. They had to cover travel and accommodation costs of all Sydney teams. News Ltd bailed the Reds and Cowboys out but ended up culling the former because it didn't offer as much value to them as the latter. Cowboys are now one of the richest and most watched clubs in the competition, whereas Cronulla are one of the least watched, as I've demonstrated a number of times by providing TV ratings that show the former are regularly in the top six whereas the latter are in the bottom five. Cowboys have been strong off the field for 20 years and their initial problems were caused by the ARL putting hurdles in front of expansion sides such as the Reds, Cowboys, Warriors and Crushers to shield financially weak Sydney clubs like Cronulla.

The NRL didn't bail the Sharks out then, and it clearly states that the club itself was in the same position to many other clubs.
The NRL owned the Titans and the Knights.
It doesn't suit your agenda so you ignore this fact.
This says more about you personally, and exposes your previously said agenda.
John Grant provided an annual grant to all teams from 2013 onwards, to the tune of 130% of the salary cap. The fact Cronulla were still $5m in the red with no sponsors in 2017 shows they were not a financially viable club and would have been dead in the water without the annual grant. This wasn't the first time Cronulla has been in the red.

There was no annual grant of 130% in place when the Titans fell on hard times during the GFC. Cronulla never had to pull 18k fans through the gate to draw even due to exorbitant stadium rental fees. Cronulla never had to cover the flight and accommodation costs of 10 or more teams.

Cronulla is the only team I know of that almost went under after the grant was raised to 130% of the salary cap to cover the costs of running a football team.

Dragons and Tigers also needed assistance at one stage.

Dragons and Sharks are both from Southern Sydney and neither are financial powerhouses. What a surprise!

You'll ignore all of this because you're biased.

Last edited:
I think GROTD needs to do some research as hIs posts are very illogical and one has to say way too rusted on pro QLD/Brisbane and Anti NSW/Sydney including Victoria/Melbourne.

Illawarra Steelers played in a predominantly scarlet red jersey and St George in a predominantly white jumper with a Red V so easy to identify which is which- The Dolphins Colours are Red , White and gold trim though

View attachment 57985
Pot. Kettle. Black.

1984-first-grade-side.jpg

Redcliffe's traditional jersey is predominantly red, similar to Illawarra's you dickhead!