What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd1: Womens NRL (inc Parra) GAME DAY THREAD Feb 27 2022

TheRam

Coach
Are there any women doing actual play by play comentary in NRL? Cricket have a few who are excellent and I guess Netball and the like but NRL commentary as I believe you describe is definitely male dominated more the pity given some we have to listen through. If you are referring to those that add colour to the commentary then my comments apply. Danika might be a sort but she knows her footy pretty well also. Id much prefer comments from Lara than Braith, Blocker, Brandy and the like.
Tarsha Gale anyone?

It is pretty self evidence what I am referring to here as I have described in detail and even repeated myself what I meant. And no we don't have any game lead lead commentators in the NRL and that is part of my point.

I too enjoy the female facilitator commentators over the male ones mate, but that is not what I am referring to.

TheRam

Coach
I think with good women callers or co-commentators, or lack of, is attributed to the game been so male dominated sport for 100+ years. Thousands of players have come and gone, so the pool of generating a Sterlo or Gould post their playing career was a given. Even non players like a Vossy or Hadley have come through cause they had the passion for league all their lives with that savvy knowledge of the game crucially needed to communicate as a caller. Yes unfortunately agree, many of the new male crop of commentators know their shit, but ruin it due to agendas and bias

Its really only the last few years women playing league has got some sort of exposure , in terms of playing time and marketing it is still very minuscule compared to the men. But its growing, younger girls are wanting to play and understand the game. Expecting in the years, maybe decade ahead we will unearth some great female callers or co-callers

Agreed, except throwing Hadley up as a great commentator is a bridge way too far mate. The man was ok maybe a quarter of a century ago as a radio caller of the footy in his prime, but as a television caller, he is woeful and falls into the Speedy, if not worse race calling category and style. Throw in his overbearing arrogance and he is UNBEARABLE.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Agreed, except throwing Hadley up as a great commentator is a bridge way too far mate. The man was ok maybe a quarter of a century ago as a radio caller of the footy in his prime, but as a television caller, he is woeful and falls into the Speedy, if not worse race calling category and style. Throw in his overbearing arrogance and he is UNBEARABLE.
Hadley appears and this silly old merkin disappears. Magic!

TheRam

Coach
Hadley appears and this silly old merkin disappears. Magic!

Funny you should say that, I have done the same numerous times. When the game comes on and it hasn't grabbed me within the first few minutes and he is the commentator, I switch off and watch something else. I don't stick around to long at all or as soon as there is a lull period in the game, again switch. He really annoys me. I hate that they brought him on NRL360 last year. I hope he isn't on it this year. With Braith Anasta as lead host now, if Hadley is also on, jeez it will be very hard to watch it as often as I used to. I never thought that I would say this, but boy do I miss Ikin.

TheParraboy

Staff member

Oh yeah Hadley as a tv caller was atrocious. It was like a different person

Tbh haven't heard him commentate the footy on radio for a decade plus, but back in the day he was pretty good caller I thought. You need a sense of description on radio, not so much on tv

Latest posts