What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

handyman2190

Bench
If he is asking for $650k and won't budge then souths won't sign him.
We get players asking for releases and we let them go, we need to agitate and disrupt others,that young parra centre make him an offer he cant refuse, take a read today jamayn issako got an immediate release to the titans, maybe we could get that marziew winger of theirs,we dont move fast enough

big hit!

Bench

This is the inside story of how Souths dropped the ball with potentially two of the NRL’s biggest recruitment blunders in years.

But the manager of Adam Reynolds and Dane Gagai says his clients have “no regrets” after both were forced out the door, only to end up as prized recruits at rival clubs that have started this season unbeaten.

Respected agent Steve Gillis point blank refused to throw stones back at Souths when contacted, but conceded Reynolds was “extremely happy” in his new environment.

“While it was difficult to leave, he has no regrets,” Gillis said.

In Gagai’s case, Gillis added: “Dane is comfortable with his decision.

“He built some great friendships at Souths and I’m sure he misses the boys.

“But he is on a new journey and he enjoys playing a real leadership role with many of the younger players at the Knights.”

Reynolds was an instant smash hit in his first game for the Brisbane Broncos on Sunday night, with his calming influence getting the Broncos home in a cracking game against the rejuvenated Bulldogs.

Meanwhile, up in Newcastle, Gagai has been one of the competition’s standouts after back-to-back blinders that has left no one in any doubt what a world class centre he still is.

The other player Souths let go due to salary cap issues was Jaydn Su’A who is also going gangbusters at St George Illawarra

But back at Redfern anger among Bunnies’ fans has the potential to reach boiling point if they fall to bitter rivals the Sydney Roosters on Friday night.

Last year’s grand finalists have kicked off the new season with back-to-back defeats, and after the Roosters their next game will be against premiers Penrith.

Already pressure is mounting on rookie halfback Lachlan Ilias while star five-eighth Cody Walker just looks out of sorts without Reynolds.

But there is no escaping from the reality that Souths’ management knew exactly what they were doing when they set this sliding door scenario in motion at the start of last year.

It’s no secret Souths made it abundantly clear at the very first meeting with Reynolds’ agent Gillis that the veteran halfback would only be offered a one-year extension.

Reynolds initially wanted three years but later said he would settle for two.

At no point was money even mentioned because the two parties could not get past the initial one-year clause, but there is little doubt Reynolds was more than willing to take less than the $800,000-a-season the Broncos are now paying him.

Those close to Reynolds were also hurt at accusations that made it into the public forum that Reynolds’ ageing body was packing it in, and that he couldn’t handle contact at training let alone another three years because of a chronic back injury.

Yet the fact is Wayne Bennett blasted that accusation at the time, and privately Bennett was convinced Reynolds had heaps of good footy left in him.

But given Bennett was on his last year coaching Souths, the decision was taken out of his hands.

Everyone from the board to the chief executive Blake Solly, new coach Jason Demetriou and the medical staff would have all had some input in the decision.

Yet the Rabbitohs were also convinced Ilias was more than ready to step up to the plate.

Only last week Reynolds conceded ahead of his first game for the Broncos that he had felt unloved in his final season at Souths.

But if it ends up that they don’t make the eight this year, someone is going to have to be held accountable.

It is simply mind-blowing to most on the outside that the Rabbitohs just couldn’t find a way to fit Reynolds’ into a $9.6 million salary cap, regardless of who they had to let go to keep him.

Asked what Reynolds’ initial reaction was when first told Souths would only offer him a one-year extension, Gillis was very matter-of-fact: “I sat him down and told him (the offer) was one year and he said, ‘righto, let’s get on with this’.”

In Gagai’s case, the offer was also a modest one-year extension estimated at about $400,000, before the Queensland Origin star ultimately took up a three-year deal at the Knights worth in the vicinity of $500,000-a-year.

In Gagai’s place at Souths, Jaxson Paulo is also struggling and against Melbourne was eventually moved from left centre to right wing during the match with his confidence clearly shattered.”

Recruitment and retention decisions are analysed in a year or several years down the track, not over 2 weeks. The article is clickbait.

Are they experienced players?
Yes

Are they better players right now than the ones that have replaced them?
Yes

Would Souths be a better team right now with these players at the club?
Yes

Does letting these players leave strengthen other teams right now?
Yes

Are the teams they were recruited by playing well right now?
Yes

But we, and the coaches new the answers to these questions when deliberating the decisions.

I know for sure Reynolds was offered a contract to remain. It didn't suit his requirements. I can't remember if Gagai was offered anything.

The decision to let Reynolds and Gagai go wasn't made with just this season in mind. It was made with the next 3 to 4 seasons in mind.

handyman2190

Bench
Recruitment and retention decisions are analysed in a year or several years down the track, not over 2 weeks. The article is clickbait.

Are they experienced players?
Yes

Are they better players right now than the ones that have replaced them?
Yes

Would Souths be a better team right now with these players at the club?
Yes

Does letting these players leave strengthen other teams right now?
Yes

Are the teams they were recruited by playing well right now?
Yes

But we, and the coaches new the answers to these questions when deliberating the decisions.

I know for sure Reynolds was offered a contract to remain. It didn't suit his requirements. I can't remember if Gagai was offered anything.

The decision to let Reynolds and Gagai go wasn't made with just this season in mind. It was made with the next 3 to 4 seasons in mind.
Gags was offered 450 for 1 year but opted for 400k for 3 years, he couldnt take the chance that he wouldnt be offered a 2nd year, as ive said before,this 1year at 30 years old deal will knobble our recruitment,who will want to come knowing what will happen at 30, only reserve graders or average first graders will think about coming.
Pappas and solly are ruining this club,and im not the only one saying it,the other 15 clubs are laughing hard, and all,and there isnt 1, so called expert saying weve done the right thing, we are the laughing stock of the league, from 2nd place to last in 1 offseason

southsport

First Grade
We get players asking for releases and we let them go, we need to agitate and disrupt others,that young parra centre make him an offer he cant refuse, take a read today jamayn issako got an immediate release to the titans, maybe we could get that marziew winger of theirs,we dont move fast enough
Don't panic mate, you'll be lauding souths recruitment before long, we have plenty of young talent coming through.

southsport

First Grade
Gags was offered 450 for 1 year but opted for 400k for 3 years, he couldnt take the chance that he wouldnt be offered a 2nd year, as ive said before,this 1year at 30 years old deal will knobble our recruitment,who will want to come knowing what will happen at 30, only reserve graders or average first graders will think about coming.
Pappas and solly are ruining this club,and im not the only one saying it,the other 15 clubs are laughing hard, and all,and there isnt 1, so called expert saying weve done the right thing, we are the laughing stock of the league, from 2nd place to last in 1 offseason
Sutto was happy with the one year deals, Cody has accepted the one year deals. shrug.gif

callmack1

Staff member
'Don't know what they do in there' - Kent slams dog's breakfast Bunker over inconsistencies: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...o/news-story/0d28e2bf913961f2fc85284d78494099

'We have to expand' - Perth, NZ floated as V'Landys reveals plans for 18th NRL team: https://www.foxsports.com.au/news/n...h/news-story/2c46fc1d57c32148cd56787da9712f8c

Paul Gallen fires demand, Phil Gould hammers 'farce' over obstruction drama: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/2022-b...ry-video/8ee868a7-6abf-4ed8-baaf-ec4fab7892dc

From the Mole, hopefully we can lock down Tallis and keep him because he's a real star of the future,

Dolphins to chase Souths forward

The Dolphins have made rising Souths hit man Tallis Duncan their next target for their entry into the NRL in 2023.

Duncan is seen as one of the best up-and-coming forwards in the game and plays an up-tempo, aggressive style like Souths' Cam Murray and the Roosters' Victor Radley.

The youngster was given a taste of first grade in the trials and looked right at home in top company - until he got sin binned for his take-no-prisoners approach.

Souths want to keep Duncan and have plans to sign him long term, but his path to first grade would be a lot quicker at the Dolphins.

callmack1

Staff member
From Sporting News,

ARLC boss Peter V'Landys reveals scrums as the next area of the game which needs changing

Peter V’landys believes the NRL’s on-field product is currently in a good place but admitted there was one area of the game he’d like to see changed.

The ARL Commission boss said he wants to see scrums hold more importance in modern rugby league.

Scrums have long been considered a joke in rugby league, particularly by fans of the 15-man code.

There’s very little pushing, wins against the feed are rarer than hen’s teeth and you often see members of the backline filling in while better defensive players get in the line.

Speaking on SEN, V’landys said it was an area of the game he’d like to see tweaked.

“I think part of the fabric of the game is the scrums. I think we need to improve and make the scrums more credible,” V’landys said.

“At the moment, scrums really are irrelevant to a certain degree.

“We tried to fix them up in the sense that they couldn’t break, to give the attacking team an opportunity, until the referee said, ‘break.’

“We have to continue to look at that because I think that’s a weakness.

“I’d love to see the scrum a little bit more credible than what it is.”

V’landys said he was otherwise happy with the state of the game, acknowledging the positive impact of a slight adjudication tweak ahead of the 2022 season.

“I think we’ve got the balance right now. I think the rule change this year where you get a penalty in your own 40m for a ruck infringement or not standing back the 10m, it’s balanced it back a little bit,” he added.

“Maybe the balance wasn’t quite right last year but I think the balance is right now.”

V’landys, who is also boss at Racing NSW, was asked about his own future in the role and conceded he wasn’t sure how long he’d hang around.

“At the end of this year, I’ll sit down again and look at what I’ll be doing but there’s a lot of items that still need to be done, in particular participation,” V’landys said.

“If I’m wanted, I’ll certainly be there next year, I’m looking forward to next year with the 17th team.”

callmack1

Staff member
From the Daily Telegraph,

Rabbitohs forward Thomas Burgess has been offered to rival clubs despite having 19 months remaining on his current contract.

In a development that could trigger a sudden countdown to the end of Burgess’ 10-year career with the Rabbitohs, the prop’s management have begun emailing rival clubs to lure any interest.

Several Sydney clubs are weighing up the possibility of signing the English international as a result of an email sent from his UK-based agent Chris Caisley.

Burgess offers experience, size and an average running metres count of slightly under 100 metres per game.

The Daily Telegraph spoke to South Sydney, who declined to comment publicly, but relayed their position of having no interest in releasing Burgess this season.

Burgess is contracted to the Bunnies until the end of 2023.

It remains to be seen whether the Rabbitohs are willing to re-sign the 196cm forward beyond 2023 with current and future mainstays of the pack including Cam Murray, Davey Moale, Keaon Koloamatangi, Jai Arrow and Tevita Tatola on-contract.

Turning 30 next month, Burgess sits on 190 NRL games, after making his debut with Souths in 2013

Rabbits20

Immortal
The fact Souths decline to comment says it all really we’ve lost the plot Tom has been outstanding the last 2 years. I’d say we would only extend Tom one year and he knows that hence he’s looking at options. So when all our players turn 30-31 let’s lose them all rather than meet in the middle with a 2 yr offer. I’m fuming

Runrabbit14

Juniors
From the Daily Telegraph,

Rabbitohs forward Thomas Burgess has been offered to rival clubs despite having 19 months remaining on his current contract.

In a development that could trigger a sudden countdown to the end of Burgess’ 10-year career with the Rabbitohs, the prop’s management have begun emailing rival clubs to lure any interest.

Several Sydney clubs are weighing up the possibility of signing the English international as a result of an email sent from his UK-based agent Chris Caisley.

Burgess offers experience, size and an average running metres count of slightly under 100 metres per game.

The Daily Telegraph spoke to South Sydney, who declined to comment publicly, but relayed their position of having no interest in releasing Burgess this season.

Burgess is contracted to the Bunnies until the end of 2023.

It remains to be seen whether the Rabbitohs are willing to re-sign the 196cm forward beyond 2023 with current and future mainstays of the pack including Cam Murray, Davey Moale, Keaon Koloamatangi, Jai Arrow and Tevita Tatola on-contract.

Turning 30 next month, Burgess sits on 190 NRL games, after making his debut with Souths in 2013
Surely this is a beat up the club is quickly losing its heart and soul !

handyman2190

Bench
God, if we were to let Tom go that'd be absolute stupidity!! I'd be gutted and so angry!

As you say, he's been in near career-best form for us the past couple of years.

But let's not stress yet, hopefully it all works out and he stays.
This is the result of if your 30 its 1 year or your out,its utter stupidity,problem is they let players go but sign noone,what a farce, welcome to the new west tigers,a team that cant sign top class players because noone wants to go there

big hit!

Bench
Relax. Perhaps they’ve got Davvy Moale. Perhaps they’ve got Tallis Duncan. Arrow is here for another couple of seasons.

How do you fit the young guys coming through and maintain the old guard. This is what the salary cap is all about.

Get out early to the stadium on Friday and watch some these boys in NSW Cup. Duncan in particular is the aggression and machine the club and fans would love for a decade. Poachers like Bennett are sniffing around to take a kid like this from the club, promising an NRL start next year. Duncan and Moale are still 19 and 20 and behind a few at Souths at the moment. The club loses them and then it’s really stuffed when Burgess is done with his career.

handyman2190

Bench
Relax. Perhaps they’ve got Davvy Moale. Perhaps they’ve got Tallis Duncan. Arrow is here for another couple of seasons.

How do you fit the young guys coming through and maintain the old guard. This is what the salary cap is all about.

Get out early to the stadium on Friday and watch some these boys in NSW Cup. Duncan in particular is the aggression and machine the club and fans would love for a decade. Poachers like Bennett are sniffing around to take a kid like this from the club, promising an NRL start next year. Duncan and Moale are still 19 and 20 and behind a few at Souths at the moment. The club loses them and then it’s really stuffed when Burgess is done with his career.
We cannot lose duncun, but he is a lock, we cant lose moale but you need to supplement these with outside recruitment players can go to 33/ 34 unless thomas is injured he would be 1 to keep,its a shame

southsport

First Grade
This is the result of if your 30 its 1 year or your out,its utter stupidity,problem is they let players go but sign noone,what a farce, welcome to the new west tigers,a team that cant sign top class players because noone wants to go there
The "1 year after age 30" seems to have been started by the media, I don't see it as a flat track rule but rather it will be on a case by case basis and depend on what young players are coming through.

handyman2190

Bench
The "1 year after age 30" seems to have been started by the media, I don't see it as a flat track rule but rather it will be on a case by case basis and depend on what young players are coming through.
Well i dont know for sure but its got the players scared and looking elsewere, i stand by my statement,pappas and solly are running this club into the ground