What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th team still possible this tv deal

And they're trying to play it so that broadcasters in NZ carry the majority of the cost and as a result they get the extra content cheap, which in turn is why the V'landys, Abdo, and the ARLC are signalling that NZ is next, and why NZ will almost certainly get the 18th license.

Any other bid is banking on another NZ side being totally unfeasible, which is possible, but a slim hope none the less.
I'd like to see the NZRL have a stake in NZ2 and run an academy that feeds into it. Base the team and academy in Wellington.
I would be against removing the salary cap per se or having some sort of equalisation method. What you could do is remove the grant or severely limit it and in turn put a massive grant in place for relocation. That would have a somewhat similar effect to what you’re proposing without it going down the route of the EPL
Despite having a salary cap, our competition is dominated by Roosters and Storm. Panthers have now entered the mix.
Well start by having equal expectations, if they are saying a new club has to invest $2mill In jnrs (that’s the nrl club not the LC) then make that the same for every club. Then set ticket prices at a reasonable amount same for all clubs. $5 kid jnrs and $20 adult GA. Then insist clubs spend $500k on promotion and game day experience. Basically they have to spend $10mill on players, $2 mill on jnrs and $1mill on marketing, game day and membership from the grant. The fact clubs are given $3mill plus plus to cover their operating losses and just keep treading water needs to change.

if nrl was serious and had balls it could put $25million start up cash and a further $2million extra grant a year for ten years on the table for relocation. Would a club move for $45million? Maybe, maybe not.
But Vlandys is all about tribalism and suburbia so will never happen.
That's why I get the shits with the current system. It panders too much to the status quo and has stalled the game's expansion. The tough decisions are never made and new clubs are deliberately handicapped from the beginning to appease the self-interest of existing clubs, state bodies and News Ltd. The only new team that was given a solid foundation and aid was the Storm, who've been very successful.

Colk

First Grade
That’s true about the competition being dominated by the Roosters and the Storm but at the very least other clubs have come into the mix over short periods and won competitions and made grand finals.

If you let it become a complete free for all, then there will be only 2-3 sides ever winning the competition. That’s the quickest way to killing the game’s support completely.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd like to see the NZRL have a stake in NZ2 and run an academy that feeds into it. Base the team and academy in Wellington.

Despite having a salary cap, our competition is dominated by Roosters and Storm. Panthers have now entered the mix.

That's why I get the shits with the current system. It panders too much to the status quo and has stalled the game's expansion. The tough decisions are never made and new clubs are deliberately handicapped from the beginning to appease the self-interest of existing clubs, state bodies and News Ltd. The only new team that was given a solid foundation and aid was the Storm, who've been very successful.
NZRL dont think its best time for a second NZ club.

Neither the NZRL or the Warriors are in any rush for there to be a second NRL team in New Zealand.
However, NZRL CEO Greg Peters said the game isn’t yet in a place in the country where it could accommodate another professional team.
“But on the immediate horizon there are significant commercial hurdles in a small economy, which has a number of professional sports codes already operating.”

xe_kilroy

Juniors
I reckon Perth are shoe-ins for the 18th.

Dolphins need time to build. NZ not ready for a 2nd team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I reckon Perth are shoe-ins for the 18th.

Dolphins need time to build. NZ not ready for a 2nd team.
This is the NRL, I expect little and therefore are rarely disappointed lol. Wouldn't surprise me if they went with the Bears if Vlad is still in charge! I dont expect to see an 18th club anytime soon unless people get really fed up of the bye and Tv decide they really want an extra game. Last time we had an odd number of clubs it lasted 5 years.

NZRL dont think its best time for a second NZ club.

Neither the NZRL or the Warriors are in any rush for there to be a second NRL team in New Zealand.
However, NZRL CEO Greg Peters said the game isn’t yet in a place in the country where it could accommodate another professional team.
“But on the immediate horizon there are significant commercial hurdles in a small economy, which has a number of professional sports codes already operating.”

I wouldn't listen too much to self-interested bodies and clubs. Warriors will never want a rival and the NZRL want as much money as they can get from the broadcast rights.

The QRL didn't want another Brisbane team for similar reasons. The Dolphins are richer than most NRL clubs and have signed a massive sponsorship deal with Kings. Thank God PVL didn't listen to the bludgers from the QRL.

NZ2 could very well happen and I hope it does. It will give the game a much needed boost in The Land of the Long White Cloud.

Saying that, I think it's pathetic we don't have a team in Perth yet.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How would the introduction of a second NZ club take away money from the NZRL? The ninth game has to cover the costs of two new clubs (seeing as this tv deal hasnt added to the pot for the costs of the Dolphins specifically), extra competition costs and give the NRL a bit of fat afterwards ie around $40-50million. The value is in the ninth game not in the location of the 18th club as AFL showed when expanding with two clubs that Tv had no interest in yet boosted their Tv deal by $54million a year.

How would the introduction of a second NZ club take away money from the NZRL? The ninth game has to cover the costs of two new clubs (seeing as this tv deal hasnt added to the pot for the costs of the Dolphins specifically), extra competition costs and give the NRL a bit of fat afterwards ie around $40-50million. The value is in the ninth game not in the location of the 18th club as AFL showed when expanding with two clubs that Tv had no interest in yet boosted their Tv deal by $54million a year.
Aren't Sky NZ chipping in $34m a year?

Take away the $13m given to Warriors and there's $21m left. Add NZ 2 and it's down to $8m.

Where does that go?

Dolphins have added $20m pa to the broadcast rights.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Aren't Sky NZ chipping in $34m a year?

Take away the $13m given to Warriors and there's $21m left. Add NZ 2 and it's down to $8m.

Where does that go?

Dolphins have added $20m pa to the broadcast rights.
We've been through that re Fox and the Dolphins, smoke and mirrors. Fox arent paying any more for 17 clubs than they paid for 16 clubs.

re Sky NZ. new deal it was more like $32.8mill according to the media reports (previously $20mill). Some of that will be contra (probably around $3million). Some of it goes to Warriors, some it goes to costs related to having a NZ team in the comp (NRL covers all travel and accommodation costs of every club), some of it goes to NZRL via the NRL grant and the rest, if anything left, goes to general coffers. remember SkyNZ are buying every game, not just the Warriors games.

Colk

First Grade
All NRL clubs should have a mandate to invest $2 mil in a RG team, juniors and run a NRLW team

I like the relocation jackpot increasing $2 mil every year

I agree that they should run a RG team, NRLW team and the relocation jackpot.

I have been never been in favour of NRL clubs running and funding juniors. To me it is back to front. If you think that all clubs should give money to another party to run juniors then that is a different story

Perth Red

Post Whore
I agree that they should run a RG team, NRLW team and the relocation jackpot.

I have been never been in favour of NRL clubs running and funding juniors. To me it is back to front. If you think that all clubs should give money to another party to run juniors then that is a different story
I like the wa system where the two afl clubs pay a license fee to the wafl. This funds grassroots to the tune of $5-6million a year. Imagine of nswrl was getting $20mill a year from the nsw clubs. Nrlvic an extra $2 mill, QRL, $8mill etc tha5 must be spent on jnr development in that state

should be $2mill ayear to your state body then nrl,clubs just focus on a u16 elite academy program U18 elite program, RG and NRLW side

siv

First Grade
I like the wa system where the two afl clubs pay a license fee to the wafl. This funds grassroots to the tune of $5-6million a year. Imagine of nswrl was getting $20mill a year from the nsw clubs. Nrlvic an extra $2 mill, QRL, $8mill etc tha5 must be spent on jnr development in that state

should be $2mill ayear to your state body then nrl,clubs just focus on a u16 elite academy program U18 elite program, RG and NRLW side

That works in a regional structure, where the "rep" team sits above the local clubs that run the juniors and A grade teams

In Sydney the structure is very different

The NRL clubs are what you call the juniors and have been for 114 years

The equivalent rep team was the City Origin team, and NO ONE acknowledges that Easts by trying to call themselves Sydney have morfed into that rep team. One of the major flaws in the NRLW

flippikat

Bench
So, what's the latest on an 18th team? I haven't seen any noises from the NRL itself lately, just Brad Fittler putting his thoughts out there for Perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So, what's the latest on an 18th team? I haven't seen any noises from the NRL itself lately, just Brad Fittler putting his thoughts out there for Perth.
Nothing. I doubt we’ll hear much more noise till the byes start next year and people start whinging about them.

flippikat

Bench
Nothing. I doubt we’ll hear much more noise till the byes start next year and people start whinging about them.
Good point.

I think the difference between talking about how inefficient an odd number of teams is, and SEEING it every week is the key thing here.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V’Landys told SEN 1170 Breakfast that the competition will look at introducing an 18th side depending on the Dolphins’ success in 2023.

The Dolphins have begun building an impressive squad as they prepare for the 2023 season. But the Dolphins’ addition takes the NRL to 17 teams, which means there’ll be a bye for one team per round next season.

V’Landys conceded that this was a concern and something the competition is looking into.

“Look probably it is (important that we have an even number),” V’Landys said.

“But we just want to see how we go with the Dolphins and to see that there is a sufficient player pool there.

“I think there is, and then we look at possibly going to the 18th team.

“We have to expand, we have to always look towards the future, you can’t just stand still, you need to be proactive and you need to continue the popularity of the game, and if we can make the game national we’ll do so.

“There’s a possibility of Perth or even New Zealand, there’s a lot of possibilities.

“But let’s just see how we go with the Dolphins first, then we can make a decision on an 18th team.”

The addition of the Dolphins will see the NRL push to 26 rounds, extending the competition to by another week.

“It has to stack up with a business case, what the Dolphins did is it stacked up,” he explained.

“We don’t have to pay tens of millions having that 17th team, in actual fact we generated

substantial new revenue from broadcast to have that 17th team.

“So it pays for itself without harming any of the other clubs, so if we go for the 18th team, it has to be important that it actually brings benefits.

“We’re not going to do it just for the sake of doing it, it has to have a business case and it has to have substantial outcomes for the game.”

Questions also arose regarding his future as ARLC chairman, but V’Landys said there’s a lot more work to be completed before he steps down in the near future.

Perth Red

Post Whore
“It has to stack up with a business case, what the Dolphins did is it stacked up,” he explained.

“We don’t have to pay tens of millions having that 17th team, in actual fact we generated substantial new revenue from broadcast to have that 17th team.

HAHA I call BS!!

Out of the options available for the 18th licence, the only one that has a business case that stacks up is Easts Tigers. But like PVL said, the 18th licence is dependant on The Dolphins generating a strong supporter base and adding players to the talent pool.

Latest posts