What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 v Souths

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Awful, awful game. Usually when St George play there are at least some small positives that you can latch onto, but I'm buggered if I can think of any from that debacle. What happens next? A lot of people said give Hook the season to show he can coach. Maybe this is all he's got.

Illusion

Bench
The key to our non success is speed of execution..I think we have the players I just don’t think they have been coached well.. and the bad news here is that this is what the pre season is there for. We lack the below elements in spades which is sad…
Speed of play the ball
Speed of defence moving up
Speed of our attacking executions
Variation of attacking structures
All these are the elements that have beaten us last few weeks.. until such time these facets of our game are rectified we are dead ducks..
Sorry old mate , I dont think we have the players or the coach for the modern day game they are all past it .......

How do they rid us of our useless coach when management extended his tenure even before the season started. Our worst coach since Price.. perhaps ever.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I’ve said that all along - we have zero talk on the field and a captain who is an introvert and needs a 2IC to help him on the field. Originally I thought Simms would be a better captain but he is so error prone and inconsistent - he would struggle to spell NRL at the moment..
I agree Hunt imo struggles in the captaincy role.....I was never in favour of him being appointed in the first place...hes far to closed shop in his mannerisms to be assertive enough.....problem is we have very few options...its a position we have struggled with for years

slippery5

Juniors
Let me start by saying I only saw the last 7 minutes & reading the comments on here I didn’t miss much.

Why are people calling on & picking Sullivan for next week’s game when he hasn’t played a game for six months because of his injuries.
Because we have been playing with a 9 who doesn't get us going forward & get's smoked by opposite 9's for passed 6 months!!!!!

Radical yes. But desperate times need desperate measures. We need to reinvent our backline. Lomax at the back where he can best utilise his step and blinding acceleration. Plus he is safe under the bomb. I can see him doing some damage chiming into the backline and splitting defenses. God forbid not having to use his brilliant (at times) but risky passing game. Sloan has playmaking skills too so find room for him in the middle while Amone would be better served in the centres where he has more room to move and showcase his individual skills. One thing is a dead cert.. this backline will be given better service than it has been having to date.

Lomax
Rava
Amone
Suli
Ramsay/Moga
Sloan
Mbye/Sullivan

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
The key to our non success is speed of execution..I think we have the players I just don’t think they have been coached well.. and the bad news here is that this is what the pre season is there for. We lack the below elements in spades which is sad…
Speed of play the ball
Speed of defence moving up
Speed of our attacking executions
Variation of attacking structures
All these are the elements that have beaten us last few weeks.. until such time these facets of our game are rectified we are dead ducks..
I agree Mickey...if you look at the top sides most of their players are busy and do everything with energy and gusto and can maintain their intensity for the full 80.....a lot of our players look lost and their urgency is gone after 10 mins and it clearly shows... like you I feel we have the roster to be competative but we need to settle on their positions in the team (and that includes the young blokes) and stop this business of plugging gaps here and there....theres no way in this world you can have structure, execution and player confidence untill this is addressed first and foremost

Dragon David

First Grade
Firstly the Ben Hunt halfback experiment should be done. For a 1 million plus dollar player per year he is not a game breaker by any stretch like Munster, Papenhuyzen, or Turbo !! Put him in the hooker role where the maroons get more value out of him. I have been patient but even with his long relationship with hook something has to give it’s not working at all in that position. Hunt to hooker Sullivan halfback Armone five eight & Sloan back to fullback. I thought Griffin was experienced surely he can see the Hunt halfback experiment has run it’s course .
The way that Hunt has been playing lately is like the captaincy is becoming too much for him. He isn't worth a million - maybe cents, but not dollars - at this moment. He is running on older legs now and there is a lot more pressure on him to perform because he knows he is the captain and being paid miles more than anyone else in the team.

The team as a whole are overdoing things and putting too much pressure on themselves as well causing so many mistakes. The mistakes in our game are killing us unbelievably. Take deep breaths and keep refocusing.

They need to get a sports psychologist in to help with ridding negativity out of them. They definitely are lacking in confidence when the chips are down and they always seem lost in many facets of attack and defence.

So much work is needed with them I'm afraid and therefore this year is a lost one and it is time for experimentation and just having fun on the pitch.

thebigredv

First Grade
Firstly, as far as I'm concerned Andrew McCullough makes Corey Norman look like an immortal. That we should have to watch another coach cruel another season by making such stubborn and misguided approaches to selection really makes me see red.

I thought the players put in yesterday but obviously, again, just like so many times before, when the game was offered to us we found a new way to capitulate. No early season string of wins means a spoon is likely on the cards. The newer and younger faces may be able to lift us above that but it will be a long season all the same.

I've been going on about the mental inability that pervades this team for ages now, which was again on show. The short story is that it's not ever going to go away until some key individuals in the management, coaching and playing ranks are made. This won't happen anytime soon so I'll be investing my time into St. Kilda Saints for now. By following them I am guaranteed some pain and yet they still keep the tribalism and competitiveness of sport alive for the supporter. We let Nicho Hynes, on half Hunt's salary, tear us to shreds on a derby on our home ground. We persist with Corey Norman and McCullough in a first grade team round after round...where is the fight and tribalism from us?

In the meantime, Griffin will have to cop it from the fans. The problems don't start or end with him but he is part of the mess. He has the most direct influence over our fortunes. Of course, just like the guy before him, the criticism won't faze him too much because afterall, he has 2 more years of earning a great salary to do jack all in the results department.

Congratulations to the club. A decade of shame and still counting.

Dragon David

First Grade
I agree Mickey...if you look at the top sides most of their players are busy and do everything with energy and gusto and can maintain their intensity for the full 80.....a lot of our players look lost and their urgency is gone after 10 mins and it clearly shows... like you I feel we have the roster to be competative but we need to settle on their positions in the team (and that includes the young blokes) and stop this business of plugging gaps here and there....theres no way in this world you can have structure, execution and player confidence untill this is addressed first and foremost
Very true BSE, very true. We all have our answers, when will the coaches get theirs and apply many things that we can only state in the forum?

slippery5

Juniors
ford and lawrie were so so bad. i dont know how they get picked. Burgess and Gosiewski would've been way better. Bird out for Sullivan next week and burgess and McGuire in for Lawrie and ford next week.
Who are you putting in for McCulloch?
Also taking a settler hit up by Woods at "WALKING" pace was disgraceful. You would never see that from Storm or Panther player, unless they want to be in reggies next week !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dragon David

First Grade
Firstly, as far as I'm concerned Andrew McCullough makes Corey Norman look like an immortal. That we should have to watch another coach cruel another season by making such stubborn and misguided approaches to selection really makes me see red.

I thought the players put in yesterday but obviously, again, just like so many times before, when the game was offered to us we found a new way to capitulate. No early season string of wins means a spoon is likely on the cards. The newer and younger faces may be able to lift us above that but it will be a long season all the same.

I've been going on about the mental inability that pervades this team for ages now, which was again on show. The short story is that it's not ever going to go away until some key individuals in the management, coaching and playing ranks are made. This won't happen anytime soon so I'll be investing my time into St. Kilda Saints for now. By following them I am guaranteed some pain and yet they still keep the tribalism and competitiveness of sport alive for the supporter. We let Nicho Hynes, on half Hunt's salary, tear us to shreds on a derby on our home ground. We persist with Corey Norman and McCullough in a first grade team round after round...where is the fight and tribalism from us?

In the meantime, Griffin will have to cop it from the fans. The problems don't start or end with him but he is part of the mess. He has the most direct influence over our fortunes. Of course, just like the guy before him, the criticism won't faze him too much because afterall, he has 2 more years of earning a great salary to do jack all in the results department.

Congratulations to the club. A decade of shame and still counting.
A big A+ from me BigRed.

Dragon David

First Grade
Who are you putting in for McCulloch?
Also taking a settler hit up by Woods at "WALKING" pace was disgraceful. You would never see that from Storm or Panther player, unless they want to be in reggies next week !!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can put a line through many of these w.nkers my friend. So many players need to be shown the exit door for 2023. They have not and will not be contributing anything worthwhile to our club in the future - the likes of Woods, Alvaro, Fui, Ford, etc.etc.

Dragon David

First Grade
Awful, awful game. Usually when St George play there are at least some small positives that you can latch onto, but I'm buggered if I can think of any from that debacle. What happens next? A lot of people said give Hook the season to show he can coach. Maybe this is all he's got.
From what I have seen and heard from him, it is all that Hook has got. No imagination and no direction. No intimidation and no ability to get the team motivated and maintain effectiveness for the full game.

St_Bondi

Juniors
From what I have seen and heard from him, it is all that Hook has got. No imagination and no direction. No intimidation and no ability to get the team motivated and maintain effectiveness for the full game.
Haha and he reckons we could be a 3, 4 or 5 side! Can he actually see the field from the coaches box? Seriously disillusioned but getting paid a shit load so who cares if you coach a winning side or not.

Latest posts