What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super league crowds ‘booming’

Perth Red

Post Whore
He (argyle) asked for a share of the tv deal like Leigh who replaced them got. The new owners also asked for that too and got rejected.

cmon stop exaggerating. You are the one continually mocking the nrl as underperforming. You know the same nrl whose tv deal just got increased to 400 million pa. Meanwhile sky cut their deal by 30 percent and said they may not continue in the future.

crowds for the blue chip games are massively down. The challenge cup especially but even the super league grand final, even with tickets as cheap as ten quid

stop with the double standards. If you really want to be critical then look at super league.

the game in England has gone backwards for a decade. It’s pretty much in the same spot as rugby union is in australia …. Hanging on by a thread

just the collapse in Leeds and wigans crowds is bad enough. These are two of the biggest clubs.

and hull kr were on the precipice a few years ago as hudgell said he wanted out. Had he left your club would be in the same position as Salford cas or wakey.

you talk about Catalan’s as a success yet there are people in the English game who want them kicked out
There will always be flat cappers who think the game be'ongs to the north of England, or Sydney, and shouldn’t grpw. The toronto no grant was ridiculous I agree, smacked of western reds and the travel costs fiasco the ARL imposed. The RFL has done a pretty good job bringing in expansion teams in the lower divisions, we just struggle to see that translated in the top tier. we‘ve tried and lost Sheffield, Paris, Toronto, Gateshead, london, and wales. All with the same problem, lack of long term investors and no great revenue beyond the owners,

Sadly Toulouse look to have fallen into the same problem. They obviously didn’t have the funds to go out and sign 4 or 5 decent signings. for example Why was Maloney playing second division? Surely he could have done a job for them?

yes there lots of challenges in uk for the game, always has been, always will be as it’s up against epl and a southern class dominated union Which leaves very little money or media coverage for league. If I had a pound for every time I’ve heard someone say rl is dying in uk in my 42 years following the game I’d be a rich man!

the very fact nrl has so much resource in comparison is why it’s so frustrating to see that they haven’t done any better in expanding the game than the RFL, arguably worse when you look at all the divisions. and instead of treating the international game as an unwanted annoyance should be the figure head driving it.

Menaiduck

Juniors
There will always be flat cappers who think the game be'ongs to the north of England, or Sydney, and shouldn’t grpw. The toronto no grant was ridiculous I agree, smacked of western reds and the travel costs fiasco the ARL imposed. The RFL has done a pretty good job bringing in expansion teams in the lower divisions, we just struggle to see that translated in the top tier. we‘ve tried and lost Sheffield, Paris, Toronto, Gateshead, london, and wales. All with the same problem, lack of long term investors and no great revenue beyond the owners,

Sadly Toulouse look to have fallen into the same problem. They obviously didn’t have the funds to go out and sign 4 or 5 decent signings. for example Why was Maloney playing second division? Surely he could have done a job for them?

yes there lots of challenges in uk for the game, always has been, always will be as it’s up against epl and a southern class dominated union Which leaves very little money or media coverage for league. If I had a pound for every time I’ve heard someone say rl is dying in uk in my 42 years following the game I’d be a rich man!

the very fact nrl has so much resource in comparison is why it’s so frustrating to see that they haven’t done any better in expanding the game than the RFL, arguably worse when you look at all the divisions. and instead of treating the international game as an unwanted annoyance should be the figure head driving it.
Agree with this. I am hoping, maybe optimistically, that both organisations will see the value in genuine expansion in the next three years. Over here a team in Perth is a must followed by nz2 and another (not sure where).

Wb1234

Referee

Well after super league the nrl had to focus on Australia. First it saw of union and now it is finally seeing off afl

and they have increased funding to the nzrl, Fiji silktails, png hunters, rise of tonga

vlandys has literally said they want to expand in the pacific

and then a second nz side to take away from the all blacks in their heartland

the nrl will end up controlling the pacific and that’s not a bad achievement

in terms of strong international teams the nrl will have provided australia, nz, Fiji, cooks, Tonga and Samoa gives league an international program

heck even england are benefitting with farnsworth young etc in the nrl

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well after super league the nrl had to focus on Australia. First it saw of union and now it is finally seeing off afl

and they have increased funding to the nzrl, Fiji silktails, png hunters, rise of tonga

vlandys has literally said they want to expand in the pacific

and then a second nz side to take away from the all blacks in their heartland

the nrl will end up controlling the pacific and that’s not a bad achievement

in terms of strong international teams the nrl will have provided australia, nz, Fiji, cooks, Tonga and Samoa gives league an international program

heck even england are benefitting with farnsworth young etc in the nrl
They've actually been cutting funding to the NZRL for a a number of years now. PNG Hunters and Fiji silktails are being funded by Govt PacificAus sports grants not the NRL. Smith could see the benefits of elevating the game in the PI's and brought in the mid season tests, funding to Fiji development, had a pacific strategy etc. Vlandys and Abdo dont and have just got rid of mid season tests for the next 5 years at least. A few years ago the NRl controlling the pacific would have been a good thing, now it would be a disaster with these two in charge.

The rise of Tonga was in spite of the NRL, they would have been quite happy if those players had chosen Origin instead.

Yes thats why the ARLC SHOULD be the key driver that enables and supports International RL, but it isnt and to pretend it currently does is a false claim. International growth remains our unpolished diamond, not since D Smith have a seen a NRL exec that genuinely sees its potential.

Wb1234

Referee
They've actually been cutting funding to the NZRL for a a number of years now. PNG Hunters and Fiji silktails are being funded by Govt PacificAus sports grants not the NRL. Smith could see the benefits of elevating the game in the PI's and brought in the mid season tests, funding to Fiji development, had a pacific strategy etc. Vlandys and Abdo dont and have just got rid of mid season tests for the next 5 years at least. A few years ago the NRl controlling the pacific would have been a good thing, now it would be a disaster with these two in charge.

The rise of Tonga was in spite of the NRL, they would have been quite happy if those players had chosen Origin instead.

Yes thats why the ARLC SHOULD be the key driver that enables and supports International RL, but it isnt and to pretend it currently does is a false claim. International growth remains our unpolished diamond, not since D Smith have a seen a NRL exec that genuinely sees its potential.
The arlc just increased funding to the nzrl by 7 million pa when Gould was at the warriors

plus there’s also this

Perth Red

Post Whore
The arlc just increased funding to the nzrl by 7 million pa when Gould was at the warriors

plus there’s also this

Where's your link to the increased funding announcement because in the last three annual reports some of the expenditure savings has been put down to reduced funding to the NZRL! I highly doubt the NRL is giving them anywhere near $7mill when their total revenue in 2020 was only $8.1million lol. NZRL gets a pittance from the NRL, less than $500k most years for the last 5 years. Hence why they often run at a deficit, ARLC has them where they want them with a begging bowl out.

Yeh I remember in 2015 the Australian tv companies telling us what great partners in the game theyd be with the 2018-2022 announced lol. With NRL getting a big financial boost in the next TV deal from SkyNZ it would be a great shame if at least some of that didn't go to NZRL. I suspect though most of it will pay for the Dolphins.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
A total of 46,639 spectators attended a fixture on Easter Monday in the Super League.
The six fixtures saw an average attendance of 7,773. That’s a decrease of 2,648 compared to Rivals Round last week.

Wigan enjoy biggest crowd of the round​

Wigan saw the biggest crowd of the day, with 11,621 inside the DW Stadium. Matt Peet’s side ran in nine tries to claim a 54-10 victory over Wakefield. Bevan French (2), Brad Singleton (2), Jai Field (2), Abbas Miski, Harry Smith and Cade Cust went over for the Warriors. Smith finished the game with a personal points tally of 22 after scoring a try and kicking nine goals.
Thomas Minns and Jacob Miller went over for Trinity.

Castleford at near sell-out​

Castleford saw an attendance of 9,372 at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle for their clash with Leeds. Lee Radford’s side claimed their fourth win of the season.
A crowd of 9,726 attended the last fixture of the day at Hull’s MKM Stadium. The side claimed a close 18-16 victory over Warrington, live on Sky Sports.
St Helens took over 1,500 travelling fans to the John Smith’s Stadium for their clash with Huddersfield. The Giants recorded an attendance of 6,519.

Toulouse enjoy highest attendance yet​

Toulouse Olympique enjoyed their highest attendance yet in Super League with 6,180. They played hosts to Hull KR, who claimed an away win with a close 28-24 score.
Yet to be confirmed, but Salford are believed to have had 3,221 attend their clash with Catalans at the AJ Bell Stadium. It would be the lowest recorded attendance so far in 2022.
Steve McNamara’s side made it two from two over the busy Easter period with a 36-10 victory.
A total of 459,813 supporters have attended a top flight game of rugby league in 2022.

Wb1234

Referee
Where's your link to the increased funding announcement because in the last three annual reports some of the expenditure savings has been put down to reduced funding to the NZRL! I highly doubt the NRL is giving them anywhere near $7mill when their total revenue in 2020 was only $8.1million lol. NZRL gets a pittance from the NRL, less than $500k most years for the last 5 years. Hence why they often run at a deficit, ARLC has them where they want them with a begging bowl out.

Yeh I remember in 2015 the Australian tv companies telling us what great partners in the game theyd be with the 2018-2022 announced lol. With NRL getting a big financial boost in the next TV deal from SkyNZ it would be a great shame if at least some of that didn't go to NZRL. I suspect though most of it will pay for the Dolphins.

Do me a favour and read the articles. The previous link literally says how the nzrl will receive extra funding from the sky deal.

why would you think any money from the sky deal is needed from the dolphins when the foxtel deal not only covered the costs of the dolphins but also an additional revenue of 35 million for the nrl

anyway this has nothing to do with super league so I’m out

Menaiduck

Juniors

Do me a favour and read the articles. The previous link literally says how the nzrl will receive extra funding from the sky deal.

why would you think any money from the sky deal is needed from the dolphins when the foxtel deal not only covered the costs of the dolphins but also an additional revenue of 35 million for the nrl

The anti V’landys hatred is real and irrational

Perth Red

Post Whore

As Gould would say, no,no.no. Lol. pretty much none of what youve said is true. Fox deal is no bigger, theres no $35million extra And If you really think the arlc are increasing nzrl funding from a decade long amount of less than $500k a year to $7million a year you need to put the bong down!

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
As Gould would say, no,no.no. Lol. pretty much none of what youve said is true. Fox deal is no bigger, theres no $35million extra And If you really think the arlc are increasing nzrl funding from a decade long amount of less than $500k a year to $7million a year you need to put the bong down!
Best of luck with Anthony seibold you’re going to need it

my guess is tony smith is crossing the river to the bigger club in hull

Perth Red

Post Whore
Best of luck with Anthony seibold you’re going to need it

my guess is tony smith is crossing the river to the bigger club in hull
Yeh I’m not thrilled! More likely he’ll take up a position at Leeds supporting his nephew Id say. HFC cant afford to pay Hodgson out!

Wb1234

Referee
Du
Yeh I’m not thrilled! More likely he’ll take up a position at Leeds supporting his nephew Id say. HFC cant afford to pay Hodgson out!

dunno why they got Hodgson he’s a flop.

Leeds are idiots for signing Rohan smith. Clearly couldn’t get Flanagan.
seibold might be ok for a second shot he did ok at south’s

hull fc are a rabble now it’s funny how much things have turned. It will never happen but it makes more sense financially for them to share craven park. The rent deal hull fc is simply not sustainable.

hull kr are the only club who have been promoted where it’s worked out successfully.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Gee I hope Toulouse stay up, there is so much potential there. There is no potential in Salford
As its a crowds thread lol. Not been very impressed with the Toulouse crowds tbh. They are no bigger than last year in the championship. I know people dont like losers but still after all that effort to get in SL you'd think the fans would get out and support them.

Hartwood

Juniors
As its a crowds thread lol. Not been very impressed with the Toulouse crowds tbh. They are no bigger than last year in the championship. I know people dont like losers but still after all that effort to get in SL you'd think the fans would get out and support them.
They didn't have crowds last year in the Championship, in 2019 they averaged 2.4k, currently they are getting 5.1k, if they keep staying competitive they'll finish the year >6k, which is around what Leigh or Fev would bring in and Toulouse will bring in far more fans if they stayed up long-term. the only championship sides that'd average more than that would be Bradford and Widnes

Perth Red

Post Whore
They didn't have crowds last year in the Championship, in 2019 they averaged 2.4k, currently they are getting 5.1k, if they keep staying competitive they'll finish the year >6k, which is around what Leigh or Fev would bring in and Toulouse will bring in far more fans if they stayed up long-term. the only championship sides that'd average more than that would be Bradford and Widnes
They hit 6.8k and 9.2k in the finals. Its not terrible for sure but its not great either, was hoping for up around the 7k mark. TBH Leigh or Fev crowds are hardly a bar we would want to be setting for bringing in new clubs to SL!

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Your cherry picking the two finals crowds they had which shows potential. The fact there most recent game against robins was their greatest shows they are a slow burn but unlike London or crusaders there is some support there that could grow. Can’t say the same for other clubs in sl

Latest posts