What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd7: Eels v Knights GAME DAY THREAD in Newcastle 24/4/22

JokerEel

Coach
My Dad almost 80 and followed league longer then most on here.

His words -
I'm starting to like this Simmonson, he is starting to look like an Nrl player.
Perham for his first game did very good.
Makatoa does a lot of work and makes it easier for the other guys to have a rest
Matterson is one of their best forwards and should start.
Shame we are losing Papali'i he will be a loss

The coaches son. He is hopeless. Looks like a chook with his head cut off. Id rather put Cartwright at 5/8

So I understand where you get it from now.

Gazzamatta

Coach
So what makes an NRL Player?
Is it one who is simply chosen in that grade or even gets a run from 18th man due to concussion protocol or as a result of foul play, or one who is able to perform at an NRL level? Or is it just down to interpretation and either scenario may apply?
Quite the conundrum.

hindy111

Post Whore
Why is JA hopeless, when it is clear he is filling in and sticking to a game plan?

I really don't get all the hate... he makes his tackles and distributes the ball...

I'll ask Dad when I see him next. He is 79 and been following g the Eels since he was 10. He used to take us to Penrith games as kids and we would sit on the hill. Penrith where his 2nd team.

hindy111

Post Whore
Make sure your old man knows that that was Perham's 12th first grade game, not his first and that Simonsson has played 52 FG games, so lots of professional RL people think he is already an NRL player.

I will let him know. He is 79 and has no access to internet to check stats so will appreciate the update

hindy111

Post Whore
There's no fool like an old fool.

He calls it as he sees is and doesn't pull stats out to help back a statement. Just watches the game and gives his thoughts.
Anyhows I disagree with him. I think Makatoa is a massive plodder. My old man reckons he is a very good player.

hindy111

Post Whore
Oh and another observation. BAs tactics to contain Ponga yesterday were outstanding and carried out to perfection. It may not work against all teams but gee it worked a treat yesterday. Well done coach.

Ponga attempted tackle on Papali'i was disgusting.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Oh and another observation. BAs tactics to contain Ponga yesterday were outstanding and carried out to perfection. It may not work against all teams but gee it worked a treat yesterday. Well done coach.
Manly at home in 5 weeks with Turbo i will be interested if we use the same tactic.

After he tore us to shreds last year.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I would have liked to see BA wearing a suit on such a solemn occasion. Preferably one made from the same Anzac Jersey Material. One in all in.
Haha

I must admit i cant remember the last time i saw BA suited up in the coaches box.

He just always has a parra polo shirt or hoodie on with trackies most games.

Doesn't even wear a button up shirt.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It helped that we were usually in a position to deliver the right kick. It's such a team game.

Incorrect

Coach
Why is JA hopeless, when it is clear he is filling in and sticking to a game plan?

I really don't get all the hate... he makes his tackles and distributes the ball...
I'll tell you what JA can do to improve his game immeasurably, and that's to stop that double pump when he's passing the ball. The NRL is a quicker game than he's used to and he needs to be quicker in his execution. He threw a couple of hospital passes yesterday. It might sound silly but those fractions of seconds count and can make all the difference...

For those that watch training, do non-halves get any training in the halves, even if it's just to identify likely candidates who can fill in if necessary, and maybe improve those skills? Because I'm thinking a proven NRL player is a pretty good chance to be better than a young, unproven half.
Yes I know we're currently down on backs.

emjaycee

Coach
For those that watch training, do non-halves get any training in the halves, even if it's just to identify likely candidates who can fill in if necessary, and maybe improve those skills? Because I'm thinking a proven NRL player is a pretty good chance to be better than a young, unproven half.
Yes I know we're currently down on backs.
I would think that the coaching staff are well aware that Matterson and Cartwright are both possible half candidates given they have both played in that position (Cartwright 24 FG games and Matterson 10 FG games). They must have other reasons for not selecting them in place of one of our only other 2 halves in the squad (the other one is Perham who is listed as a five-eighth).

The Predictor

Juniors

I really don't get all the hate... he makes his tackles and distributes the
He calls it as he sees is and doesn't pull stats out to help back a statement. Just watches the game and gives his thoughts.
Anyhows I disagree with him. I think Makatoa is a massive plodder. My old man reckons he is a very good player.
Plodder

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Manly at home in 5 weeks with Turbo i will be interested if we use the same tactic.

After he tore us to shreds last year.
It wasn't his kick returns that hurt us, it was all the quality ball we gave them:

Round 11: 323m (19m from kick returns)
Round 22: 187m (4m from kick returns)