What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd7: Eels v Knights GAME DAY THREAD in Newcastle 24/4/22

I would think that the coaching staff are well aware that Matterson and Cartwright are both possible half candidates given they have both played in that position (Cartwright 24 FG games and Matterson 10 FG games). They must have other reasons for not selecting them in place of one of our only other 2 halves in the squad (the other one is Perham who is listed as a five-eighth).
Yes they'd have to be aware of those two but I'm also wondering if they get any practice at it and if we try to identify others that might have ability. I didn't know Perham was listed as a 6, that's interesting.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'll tell you what JA can do to improve his game immeasurably, and that's to stop that double pump when he's passing the ball. The NRL is a quicker game than he's used to and he needs to be quicker in his execution. He threw a couple of hospital passes yesterday. It might sound silly but those fractions of seconds count and can make all the difference...
I wonder if, like most things, there's pros and cons associated with it, and saying just don't do it is a bit simplistic.

Incorrect

Coach
I wonder if, like most things, there's pros and cons associated with it, and saying just don't do it is a bit simplistic.
I'm saying he should shelve it and make that play the exception rather than the rule to the way he plays. There are times when it might serve a purpose, but getting your outside runners smashed when they catch the pass routinely is going to get old pretty fast ffs

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
For those that watch training, do non-halves get any training in the halves, even if it's just to identify likely candidates who can fill in if necessary, and maybe improve those skills? Because I'm thinking a proven NRL player is a pretty good chance to be better than a young, unproven half.
Yes I know we're currently down on backs.
One reason that spine players are generally lighter than everyone else isn't because there's some rule requiring it. The reason is that they make the most movement off the ball of every player on the field and this is extremely fatiguing for the bigger guys. These movements also require some vision and game smarts that aren't really a factor when forwards and outside backs are chosen for development as first graders. I mean, it's good if they have those attributes at a high level, but there's so much that is required physically from forwards and outside backs that their ability to play in the spine isn't prioritised, either in recruitment or training. Halves and fullbacks need these mental and technical skills, as well as work rate to keep moving and create overlaps. They only need enough speed and power to hold their own in defence.

Otherwise we would see a lot more centres and back rowers in the 6 jersey, like was common 20 years ago when defences weren't as good.

Incorrect

Coach
One reason that spine players are generally lighter than everyone else isn't because there's some rule requiring it. The reason is that they make the most movement off the ball of every player on the field and this is extremely fatiguing for the bigger guys. These movements also require some vision and game smarts that aren't really a factor when forwards and outside backs are chosen for development as first graders. I mean, it's good if they have those attributes at a high level, but there's so much that is required physically from forwards and outside backs that their ability to play in the spine isn't prioritised, either in recruitment or training. Halves and fullbacks need these mental and technical skills, as well as work rate to keep moving and create overlaps. They only need enough speed and power to hold their own in defence.

Otherwise we would see a lot more centres and back rowers in the 6 jersey, like was common 20 years ago when defences weren't as good.
He was clearly asking people who watch training sessions. I don't imagine you get to many training sessions given you reside a 5 hour flight away....Please delete your post.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I'll tell you what JA can do to improve his game immeasurably, and that's to stop that double pump when he's passing the ball. The NRL is a quicker game than he's used to and he needs to be quicker in his execution. He threw a couple of hospital passes yesterday. It might sound silly but those fractions of seconds count and can make all the difference...
Agree. Those double pumps might work OK in the backyard against Mrs BA and the dog but they have no place in first grade.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

Still doesn't explain why JA is dog shit.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No amount of training sessions is going to turn a forward into an NRL quality half. Instead you'd just be wasting his strengths in a role that doesn't suit him.

Well Aubusson was doing it regularly a couple of years ago. And they don't have to be a good half, or even last an entire game, they just have to be better than the alternative. And the alternative is unproven and the vast majority of those don't make it. I believe there are ways to improve skills like coordination that don't take forever and I'd be curious to hear how much of that stuff is done. I'd have them all playing soccer with a league ball.

yy_cheng

Coach
I don't think it matters whether he starts. It's about minutes played. But he has played the vast majority starting on the edge. It was the Penrith final last year where he first came off the bench and played in the middle.
He would've played more minutes as a half

Tbh, he played a bit like Jason Smith yesterday