What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs Storm

mickeylane

Bench
Mickey, I was thinking the same today. Trying to find that light at the end of the tunnel for years to come will be our problem not only in 2023. We just cannot compete like the Panthers and Storm and others who are up there. We compete OK with the also rans and that's about it.

The only way we can maintain a higher level on the ladder every year is by making massive changes which means getting a far better coach, getting far better players and paying good money for them and ridding the club of players who are just making up the numbers all across the park.
You know Hook is the lowest paid coach on $300k - this is our clubs mentality.. make the most important employee of the club the lowest in the league ..

Just watched the press conference with Griffin bumbling over his words, making excuses by saying that we had the team to get back into the contest at the break. No we dont coach not with you at the helm. You are paid $300,00 because that is all you are worth. You play favorites and that is a coach's death knell. IMO you are our worst coach since Price.

Last edited:
What position should he be playing?
Already answered that. Somewhere in the three quarters. He is a ball receiver not a ball giver. I'd move Mybe to 5/8 where he can better utilise his ball skills, Lomax to the back.. give him more space to use his brilliant footwork.. and Amone in his centre spot where we are more likely to see those silky skills we all say he has.

hewi

Bench
It’s like moving the chairs on the deck of the Titanic. It doesn’t matter who plays where until the basics are fixed. Bird forcing a ball 3 minutes before half time gifts then 6 points so instead of 6/0 it’s 12/0 at halftime. MBye and Feagai letting a high ball bounce leading to a try someone had to call my ball. Defence around the ruck, Grant running 150 meters, 50 missed tackles. Need I say more.

TruSaint

Referee
It’s like moving the chairs on the deck of the Titanic. It doesn’t matter who plays where until the basics are fixed. Bird forcing a ball 3 minutes before half time gifts then 6 points so instead of 6/0 it’s 12/0 at halftime. MBye and Feagai letting a high ball bounce leading to a try someone had to call my ball. Defence around the ruck, Grant running 150 meters, 50 missed tackles. Need I say more.

Yep, that game showed exactly where we are at.
Me may grind a win or two against the bottom sides, but that will be all. We are so far off the pace in terms of roster, game plan etc.

justadragon

Bench
Some of the football that we played today was the best that we’ve played all season, possibly in years.

Far from the wrist slitting that is going on in here, I think there are a lot of positives to take out of that game.

The one thing that was really disappointing was the way that we dropped our bundle late in the game.
Sure I agree, we played some good footy in very minimal patches, but under the current regime, players not in correct positions, no attacking game plans that allow Amone to come into his own, all our attack revolves around Hunt, a winger like Rav that hasnt scored a try since round one, allowing Harry Grant to run 150m and control the ruck, unlike what we do, and very poor ball service to our outside backs, not to mention our go forward power plays that were behind by several hundred meters. The only thing I thought was slightly positive was our early defence, and that faltered late in the game. Yeah sure we maybe able to beat the other also rans but what happens when we think we are matching it with the elite teams, they flick a switch and blow us away, its been happening now for 12 years, you dont have to be a genius to work out where the Dragons are floundering, and it starts at the front office.

Illusion

Bench
Yep, that game showed exactly where we are at.
Me may grind a win or two against the bottom sides, but that will be all. We are so far off the pace in terms of roster, game plan etc.
Spot on mate , they are a decade or more behind in coaching and type of player needed ...... The game has moved on the Dragons have stayed in a time warp ...... The game of bash and barge are gone , What is needed are at least one ball playing forward , a 7 that has vision and can come up with repeat sets when needed a 6 that can ball play and run at the opposition , then the rest of the team needs to be big fast and athletic ...... Lawrie , Woods , Sims , Macca , ( Moose getting on has been good for us ) wrong type of players ..... As for Hook and Co he is coaching what ever footy was left in the team out of players ( Rav , Lomax , Amone , Sloan none have improved ...... As for Board of Directors , The Youngs , Gordons , Doust back on the Merry go Round and Company are a bunch of Dinosaurs that have Big EGOS that they cant see what's happening ...... I for one cant see where it will end , if not soon it may be the end of the once Feared Mighty Club .......

Out of all the squad these would be players u would be building a team around in 2023:

Molo
Sua
Suli
Hunt
McGuire
Rava
JDB
Sullivan

Sloan possibly
Bird possibly

honestly the rest are just bog average footballers
JBD is on that list too. Never has a bad game. Is our best defensive forward as well as often taking the pill at second receiver to try to get our backline in motion. Lawrie does not get the minutes he deserves.. almost always make at least 10m a run. Needs tho to develop an offload. Lomax stays too. He needs early and clean pill to bring out his best. McGuire's defense is weak, tho his attack is strong. I am keeping Amone and Sloan on promise for further development.
Our club needs to open the cheque book and sign some top tier players instead of has beens and rejects.

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
I have been out of action for a while but have been keeping up with the forum posts and I was enjoying the positivity of the past three weeks. Unfortunately today was not great.

I do not believe that we have a poor team. The recruitment of Molo, Su’A and Suli was very promising and Woods, Burgess and Mbye were worth the gamble. Unfortunately, the coaching arrangement has not worked. I was hopeful last year that the combination of Griffin and Elliott would be successful. However it obviously did not work out.

The way forward (my opinion only) is that if things do not come together towards the end of the season, then Griffin will need to be cut loose and the Club will need to pay overs to secure the best coach available.
Yes George agree. I understand why the club resigned him and i will give him until the end of the season to see if he can mould a good side by then. If not and we are just plodding along in 10 - 16th position cant see the point of putting him in charge over the off season. This is where the Board really has to excel and get the money out and pay the best money to get the best coach available. Who that is is another point !

justadragon

Bench
JBD is on that list too. Never has a bad game. Is our best defensive forward as well as often taking the pill at second receiver to try to get our backline in motion. Lawrie does not get the minutes he deserves.. almost always make at least 10m a run. Needs tho to develop an offload. Lomax stays too. He needs early and clean pill to bring out his best. McGuire's defense is weak, tho his attack is strong. I am keeping Amone and Sloan on promise for further development.
Our club needs to open the cheque book and sign some top tier players instead of has beens and rejects.
Agree with all except for McGuire, he has just about been our best forward every week since his return, Molo and Su'a were good to.

denis preston

First Grade
Would Lawrie get a game with the present top 6 or 8 , doubt it. Cut him and try again with someone like Coric next year. I also really hope Lomax's long contract meant less money per year because he just isn't improving. I wonder that his antics showing his injured hand was a cry for help or a stint on the sidelines that the club won't give him ?

Latest posts