What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 versus the Titans

be55

Juniors
I’m not making this assessment on just one week or his defence; best defender in the comp. But when he made Origin last time he was playing effectively at the line. He’s more effective imo playing this style than before the line. I feel he has develop his all round attacking game more than where it’s at. Hope he does, as it gives us more variety.
So judging by your post, i take it you're critical of Hook's decision to move him to prop. Can't really be worrying about your attacking game, when your primary job is to cart the ball up through the middle with the tough early set carries...

If he does end up playing that role, i personally think that it's ridiculous, to take the guy that for years was an absolute weapon in attack for us, and move him closer in to do the donkey work. Especially since we are struggling for points as it is...

Just my opinion

Dragon David

First Grade
So judging by your post, i take it you're critical of Hook's decision to move him to prop. Can't really be worrying about your attacking game, when your primary job is to cart the ball up through the middle with the tough early set carries...

If he does end up playing that role, i personally think that it's ridiculous, to take the guy that for years was an absolute weapon in attack for us, and move him closer in to do the donkey work. Especially since we are struggling for points as it is...

Just my opinion
JDB should remain our lock. We should have quite a bit more money to get bigger/better props. JDB can then concentrate on cover defence and attack.

Inisai Toga

Juniors

Just my opinion
Totally agree, I am critical of that selection; i’d never have De-Belin (or Simms) as a prop! Agree, good attacking player (not sure at the absolute weapon’ level) but also agree with the term ‘was’. Just feel he’s attacking game has stagnated a bit lately; been waiting for it to develop further and maybe as the year goes on it will.

Last edited:

slippery5

Juniors
Our recruitment people need to be watching closely Titans 14 Tannah Boyd with a view to making him an offer to move south when he comes off contract. Now this kid is a creative player just what we need in the halves. As a Junior Kangaroo I saw him demolish the Kiwis so thinking the Titans have not managed him well if he is not a regular first grader. Not seen a lot of him to be honest so perhaps he has yet to realize the enormous potential he showed back then. A new club may bring that out.
I saw a bit of him too, reminded me a lot of K. Walters but I just think he has got too chunky & slow now at the Titans so another player that hasn't been able to progress to the Nrl level in my opinion.

be55

Juniors
Totally agree, I am critical of that selection; i’d never have De-Belin (or Simms) as a prop! Agree, good attacking player (not sure at the absolute weapon’ level) but also agree with the term ‘was’. Just feel he’s attacking game has stagnated a bit lately; been waiting for it to develop further and maybe as the year goes on it will.
Yes i agree...I was getting a little excited using the term "absolute weapon" but you get my point. For years Jack was the link between forwards and backs. We never looked better than when he'd dig into the line and ball play, and then our attacking shape would come off the back of that. Now he isn't being used like that anymore. Our go to play is give Ben Hunt the ball and see what he can do with it. Our attack isn't structured like it used to be, and if De Belin isn't having the same impact, then that's your reason.

Attack is a complete after-thought at the moment. Hook's comment before the Melbourne game, about not needing Amone to ball play, points to that. Get away from the "get the ball to Hunt" mentality, and the flat, side to side attack we've seen for the last year and a half, and get back to working to points on the field and then attacking with depth and players in motion, and then you'll see Jack back to his best.

Dragon David

First Grade
On recent history- we’ve struggled against these sides. These games are the test - if we fail then the alarm bells should be ringing.
I would say not only the alarm bells but the sirens, bells and whistles if we do. The bottom teams are in a way equal to each other in terms of proficiency of execution and closing out games. We truly need to score lots of tries/points and defend them. If we don't the other teams will and we won't get up winning. The usual minimal mistakes, high completion rates, few six agains and no sin bins are essential by us.

Come on boys, bring excitement back for us after last weekend's debacle.

justadragon

Bench
I would say not only the alarm bells but the sirens, bells and whistles if we do. The bottom teams are in a way equal to each other in terms of proficiency of execution and closing out games. We truly need to score lots of tries/points and defend them. If we don't the other teams will and we won't get up winning. The usual minimal mistakes, high completion rates, few six agains and no sin bins are essential by us.

i would just love that whilst i'm watching this game that hook would bring sullivan on at 7 and move hunt to 9, about 20min into it. that would just make my day.

Dragon David

First Grade
What annoys me is he Hook has the option to move players around if its not working during a game, but he doesn't ......
Hook is so stubborn, he is deadset not wanting to use Hunt as a hooker in my opinion. I just don't understand his thinking - just a stubborn mule. Give the Sullivan and Amone combination a go, have Macca go on the bench and eat a Maccas and have Hunt in the 9. What is there to lose? Well maybe the game but it is worth a try!

justadragon

Bench
Hook is so stubborn, he is deadset not wanting to use Hunt as a hooker in my opinion. I just don't understand his thinking - just a stubborn mule. Give the Sullivan and Amone combination a go, have Macca go on the bench and eat a Maccas and have Hunt in the 9. What is there to lose? Well maybe the game but it is worth a try!
god spare me, all this talk about munster and keary and so forth, we havent even seen 1 min of the sullivan amone sloan combo as a starting side, just with a bit of progress we could have a really good attacking side its all there just waiting to be used properly.

Yow

Juniors
god spare me, all this talk about munster and keary and so forth, we havent even seen 1 min of the sullivan amone sloan combo as a starting side, just with a bit of progress we could have a really good attacking side its all there just waiting to be used properly.
remember talk is cheap those 2 want be

BBTB

Juniors

The cheating referees won't let us win by large scores.
They try to keep the score lines close on our games, by punishing us with lopsided penalty counts and 6 agains.
Keep the games close, or people will switch off.
That's the way News LIMITED work. It's about ratings.

Dragon David

First Grade
They try to keep the score lines close on our games, by punishing us with lopsided penalty counts and 6 agains.
The refs like to show us that they are being fair by giving us penalties, but they are mainly in our own red zone not in the oppositions half so our chances of scoring tries from our red zone are very limited and doesn't happen.

since77

Juniors
Our recruitment people need to be watching closely Titans 14 Tannah Boyd with a view to making him an offer to move south when he comes off contract. Now this kid is a creative player just what we need in the halves. As a Junior Kangaroo I saw him demolish the Kiwis so thinking the Titans have not managed him well if he is not a regular first grader. Not seen a lot of him to be honest so perhaps he has yet to realize the enormous potential he showed back then. A new club may bring that out.
I watched him play last weekend. Mistake prone and dumb. Exactly the kind of player the Dragons would sign.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Yeah the ref only hates us and stop us from scoring🙄. Or maybe it's our shit attack. Not one try scored this season from a set play. Watch other teams, they know what they are doing. We don't.

possm

Coach
You would think that with WIN owning half of the shares in our club, things like media, website, and player third party sponsorship our club would be leaders in these areas.

Also saw staff and training facilities do not come under the salary cap, you would think that we have the dollars to be at the one of the most progressive clubs off-field.

In addition, until our club gets the formula right when it comes to squad management, we will struggle to be a top side. In my opinion, the formula should be all about having a squad that can provide the best possible 17 each week and then back-fill our lower grades with promising juniors. Yes, I do not like the idea of buying fringe first-graders to sit in reserve grade, just in case we need a replacement with NRL experience. I'd say this is the exact situation in which we afford our promising juniors the experience and testing they need.

Draginzaaar

Bench
You would think that with WIN owning half of the shares in our club, things like media, website, and player third party sponsorship our club would be leaders in these areas.

Also saw staff and training facilities do not come under the salary cap, you would think that we have the dollars to be at the one of the most progressive clubs off-field.

In addition, until our club gets the formula right when it comes to squad management, we will struggle to be a top side. In my opinion, the formula should be all about having a squad that can provide the best possible 17 each week and then back-fill our lower grades with promising juniors. Yes, I do not like the idea of buying fringe first-graders to sit in reserve grade, just in case we need a replacement with NRL experience. I'd say this is the exact situation in which we afford our promising juniors the experience and testing they need.
It's not up to the club to arrange 3rd party deals.

Dragon David

First Grade
It's not up to the club to arrange 3rd party deals.

There is some interesting reading in this:
It explains a lot of things about third party agreements.

Also the NRL Operations below provides lots on Salary Cap and Third Party stuff wich is worth a read which possm might find a help.