What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to the comp, Redcliffe.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Beo

Broncos financials posted on trl by the rocket

Broncos financials posted on trl by the rocket
Broncos financials for this year would not be available yet as the financial year is incomplete. maybe your mistaking it for last years financial? Got a link?

Perth Red

Post Whore

nrl paid out grants of 240 million in 2021

ie fifteen million a club

there maybe been a bonus payment after this of 1 million from the arlc having greater than forecast profits
You’re getting confused with your years. According to the broncos annual report they receive $16.3 mill cash from nrl in 2020 and same again in 2021. We have no way of knowing what they are receiving this year yet. It looks like around $800k of that grant was for player bonus payments based on surplus achieved.

page 26

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
You’re getting confused with your years. According to the broncos annual report they receive $16.3 mill cash from nrl in 2020 and same again in 2021. We have no way of knowing what they are receiving this year yet.

page 26
Well if anything that strengthens my argument

so the nrl paid clubs 16 million plus and still announced a surplus of 40 million which included 30 million in covid expenses

looks like the nrl really is making money

interesting to see the broncos are paying close to 500k rental a game. What a rip off

The Great Dane

First Grade
Exactly. I would say that GC, Adelaide and even Perth (they were broke although no fault of their own) were better off or had more potential than most of the sides that were kept in.

NZ 2, Perth and Adelaide would be perfect as the next 3 sides
TBF, the Reds were in such a bad place that it would have required a third party with the money and the will to pull them out of the shit after 97. Like the Warriors whom were slated to be cut after 99 but were saved by Eric Watson, whom bought their assets after their financial collapse and effectively created a new club from scratch using their assets that replaced the Auckland Warriors.

If that was realistically in the cards for the Reds then it probably would have happened.
It’ll be Nz 2 unless something drastic happens but let’s hope it doesn’t stop at 18
The 18th club will almost certainly be the last for a decade or so.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I
TBF, the Reds were in such a bad place that it would have required a third party with the money and the will to pull them out of the shit after 97. Like the Warriors whom were slated to be cut after 99 but were saved by Eric Watson, whom bought their assets after their financial collapse and effectively created a new club from scratch using their assets that replaced the Auckland Warriors.

If that was realistically in the cards for the Reds then it probably would have happened.

The 18th club will almost certainly be the last for a decade or so.
C
And there’s two articles where abdo only mentioned nz2

And there was an article a while back where the clubs voted their support for nz

all these leaks about expansion have been spot on. I read the dolphins would win six months before they got the nod

nz are long odds for team 18

I’m sure abdo has already discussed this with sky nz which would explain their confidence
Clubs vote for whoever is flavour of the month, perth topped the club poll for many years as did the CC bears some years. it will have no bearing on the decision.

its interesting to see the change in commentary, yes Abdo was all about nz2 last year (maybe as they were in discussions with nz tv for the deal and wanted to talk it up?) but since then they’ve come back to options and mentioning perth (maybe to sell origin tickets?).

it will come down to what does australian tv want, as they still run the game really, and who has the Best chance at financial sustainability.
I’d be amazed if those aren’t the two key criteria to where the next club goes.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well if anything that strengthens my argument

so the nrl paid clubs 16 million plus and still announced a surplus of 40 million which included 30 million in covid expenses

looks like the nrl really is making money

interesting to see the broncos are paying close to 500k rental a game. What a rip off
The extra grant was due to impact on crowds due to covid and moving games interstate. If it continues now we are post covid we don’t know yet. The players agreement is up for renegotiation for next season onwards and if that sees cap go up from the last agreed $10mill then the clubs will be looking for more than the $13mill no doubt.

as long as we aren’t taking funding from other key areas then the more money clubs get the better, though it would be nice to see some of it ringfenced for key activities, not just used to pay off sacked coaches etc.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
The extra grant was due to impact on crowds due to covid and moving games interstate. If it continues now we are post covid we don’t know yet. The players agreement is up for renegotiation for next season onwards and if that sees cap go up from the last agreed $10mill then the clubs will be looking for more than the $13mill no doubt.

as long as we aren’t taking funding from other key areas then the more money clubs get the better, though it would be nice to see some of it ringfenced for key activities, not just used to pay off sacked coaches etc.
Maybe the media was right and Greenberg was wasting a lot of money

I wouldn’t mind the grants being tied to certain kpi but I don’t think the clubs would allow it tbh

clubs seem to be better managed now and we aren’t seeing them paying out millions to sacked coaches

Wb1234

Referee

Perth are a chance but a small chance for team 18. It’s New Zealand to lose.

I think with sky nz paying more and vlandys offering fox Monday night football again they could Get as much as 550 million pa, esp if afl gets 500 million pa

vlnadys is going to see what afl gets then he’s got the tv ratings to back him up to ask for more, plus another 12 games a season with team 18 coming in

Perth Red

Post Whore
there is asolutely buckleys chance that a ninth game is going to increase the tv rights by $150mill a year lol.
Team 17 brought in zero extra cash. If we can get $30-50mill cash for game nine that will be going ok based on what has been realised in the 2023-2027 deal.
Of course by 2025 when the next rights discussions will start we may have seen streaming really get involved and that may finally drive some competitive tension into the rights, then we may see a decent jump But who knows.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth are a chance but a small chance for team 18. It’s New Zealand to lose.
right now neither you nor I know what chance anywhere has got. ergo every one has the same chance at this point in time lol. I think you are underestimating the influence of the Australian tv partners and how ultimately what they want will dictate the outcome. given warriors are the lowest drawing club on Australian tv I have my doubts that nz2 is filling them with much excitement.

Wb1234

Referee
right now neither you nor I know what chance anywhere has got. ergo every one has the same chance at this point in time lol. I think you are underestimating the influence of the Australian tv partners and how ultimately what they want will dictate the outcome. given warriors are the lowest drawing club on Australian tv I have my doubts that nz2 is filling them with much excitement.right now neither you nor I know what chance anywhere has got. ergo every one has the same chance at this point in time lol. I think you are underestimating the influence of the Australian tv partners and how ultimately what they want will dictate the outcome. given warriors are the lowest drawing club on Australian tv I have my doubts that nz2 is filling them with much excitement.
So you believe abdo when he says they want an 18th team but ignore where he said (twice) they want it in nz

Wb1234

Referee
there is asolutely buckleys chance that a ninth game is going to increase the tv rights by $150mill a year lol.
Team 17 brought in zero extra cash. If we can get $30-50mill cash for game nine that will be going ok based on what has been realised in the 2023-2027 deal.
Of course by 2025 when the next rights discussions will start we may have seen streaming really get involved and that may finally drive some competitive tension into the rights, then we may see a decent jump But who knows.
So you have argued afl is going to get 500 million with little growth in ratings

yet somehow the sport whose ratings have gone through the roof isn’t going to get any extra for those extra viewers ?

your lack of consistency between the sport ls funny

Perth Red

Post Whore
So you have argued afl is going to get 500 million with little growth in ratings

yet somehow the sport whose ratings have gone through the roof isn’t going to get any extra for those extra viewers ?

your lack of consistency between the sport ls funny
I haven’t argued they’ll get that lol. That’s what the media are saying they hope they will get. And if they do it will be a 6% increase on their 2024 deal. You’re suggesting the nrl deal will go up over 35% which is quite a jump.
Our advantage of larger audiences has not translated to more money in 20 years, but now it will? What do you think has changed?

Perth Red

Post Whore
There was another recent article where he doubled down on it
No there wasn’t lol. It’s a very misleading headline!
He talked about investing in nz participation and pathways.
When it came to talking about club 18 he said, and I quote “Beyond that, the commission is open to looking at 18 teams down the track and open-minded about the location of potential new markets.

that doesnt say nz2 is where they are looking anymore than any other new market. It’s a big back track from his comment last year.
nomdoubt during origin week in perth we’ll hear the usual platitude about the game in WA and how the nrl is open to looking at perth for club 18.

like I said what fox (and ch9 to a lessor degree) want, fox will get.

Wb1234

Referee
I haven’t argued they’ll get that lol. That’s what the media are saying they hope they will get. And if they do it will be a 6% increase on their 2024 deal. You’re suggesting the nrl deal will go up over 35% which is quite a jump.
Our advantage of larger audiences has not translated to more money in 20 years, but now it will? What do you think has changed?
We didn’t always have this advantage in terms of ratings

and having a leader who doesn’t think afl is the number one sport helps

whatever afl gets the arlc should be aiming for ten percent more tbh

the nro competition on its own is worth more then the afl season. Then you have origin and other rep games as a bonus

Wb1234

Referee
E
No there wasn’t lol. It’s a very misleading headline!
He talked about investing in nz participation and pathways.
When it came to talking about club 18 he said, and I quote “Beyond that, the commission is open to looking at 18 teams down the track and open-minded about the location of potential new markets.

that doesnt say nz2 is where they are looking anymore than any other new market.
Roy masters above has a statement saying it re abdo

Menaiduck

Juniors
It makes perfect sense to grant the dolphins the 17th licence. The NRL is underrepresented in Brisbane. It’s a key market that needed another team. I hope Perth is next. Then NZ 2. Followed by PNG. Twenty teams, three countries would be the go as far as I am concerned. As for the afl let’s not forget they’ve ‘expanded’ by putting two teams in Adelaide and Perth. The afl cheer squad led by PR tend to forget these minor details.