What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd 10 2022: Non Parra games - MaGiC RoUnD

King-Gutho94

Coach
What year did Brisbane last win a grand final? They haven't been strong in a while I don't think. Solid and some good sides but when where they great?
Missed the finals twice between 1991 and 2019.

I agree they have underachieved since their last Premiership. But they still hovered around the top 6 teams most years without threatening to win a comp.

So thats what some claim as sustained success is perinnal finals appearances.

Sounds pretty familiar to a team based in western sydney called Parramatta in the past 5 years. Qualifying for the finals every year without being good enough to break the premiership door open.

King-Gutho94

Coach
They got lucky fundamentally strong Souths are run by clowns.
Yeah exactly Broncos have been handed a gift by souths.

Yeah they would have worked there way back up eventually but without a genuine number 7 that would have been another 2 or 3 years away in the doldrums. They were in a massive hole.

Its something the arrogant Broncos deserved after 30 years of being gifted a rails run by the NRL. Going through some hardship how quickly did there fans jump off in past 2 seasons.

TheParraboy

Staff member
The Dogs and Manly get humiliated on the same night...this is surely the eels Good Friday.

Been nothing short of magical 🦄

Hopefully continues today with winners being Warriors, Titans and a golden point draw

Matches start from 2pm

King-Gutho94

Coach
Who does everyone want to win tonight in the top 2 seeds.

Cheating Storm or Smug Panthers.

Good news is parra will still be only team to have beaten one of them after tonight.

Gronk

Staff member

Good news is parra will still be only team to have beaten one of them after tonight.
The only winner tonight between Smugs and Cheats should be the orthopaedic surgeon.

if Storm win this without Papanalphabet, they are seriously humming.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
2015 was a strange year. Brisbane where not what I felt a dynasty being built. It was similar to Tigers kind of thing.
Penrith, Roosters, Souths, Storm have been the power houses of the last 10yrs I would say.
So Brisbane have not won it for 15 seasons. I doubt will this one which would make it 16 yrs. Long time between drinks.
Only Roosters and Storm have been genuine power houses. Penrith are great right now but it's very recent. Souths were almost great around the time they won their premiership, but again, it was too short lived for powerhouse status. The Cowboys also made two grand finals in a three year period, with half a dozen merkins picked in Origin.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Missed the finals twice between 1991 and 2019.

I agree they have underachieved since their last Premiership. But they still hovered around the top 6 teams most years without threatening to win a comp.

So thats what some claim as sustained success is perinnal finals appearances.

Sounds pretty familiar to a team based in western sydney called Parramatta in the past 5 years. Qualifying for the finals every year without being good enough to break the premiership door open.
You're comparing apples and oranges. The Broncos have been in a one team town for decades, with zero meaningful competition in a rugby league heartland. They should be contenders nearly every year. Parramatta are in a crowded market, with minimal corporate appeal (we are the people's team, which isn't the aspirational vibe that corporates want) and a short drive from half a dozen other clubs, so we don't even benefit from offering location stability to players with young families. In short, success for them should be measured differently than it is for us.

hindy111

Post Whore
Only Roosters and Storm have been genuine power houses. Penrith are great right now but it's very recent. Souths were almost great around the time they won their premiership, but again, it was too short lived for powerhouse status. The Cowboys also made two grand finals in a three year period, with half a dozen merkins picked in Origin.

No. Penrith have been out of this world in the last 3 seasons.
Prior 6 seasons they made finals 4 times.
So thats 7/9 seasons with 3 and this year pending 4 top 4 finishes. That's very succesfull. Also a minor premiership and equal points last season to the minor premiership.

2019 - 10th
2018 - 5th
2017- 7th
2016- 6th
2015 - 11th
2014 - 4th

I expect they will drop right off next season. But who knows.

hindy111

Post Whore
Let's wait and see how good Reynolds goes next year before deciding Souths should've paused the rebuild and signed him for multiple years.

Yes I was telling a mate this. A passionate doggies supporter.
My words where they would be aware they'd be dropping off but also that Storm and Penrith are going to be very hard to beat in 2022 along with the Eels and Roosters( who don't look good)
They also may rate this young halfback highly and know he will be a lot better in 2023 along with the fact Parra,Panthers,Storm will be weaker.
Bit of a rebuild season for a real crack. Not only worry about their own squad but also the potential fight against others.

Unfortunately for us we've had very good sides while super sides have been around. Some years you get a bit of a balanced and weaker comp and a suprise winner or lets say a deserved winner but not a super side.

We built our run whilst two of the best sides we've seen in 25yrs are running around so it's bad timing.

i don't care who wins i just want to see them bash the crap out of each other for 80 minutes

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No. Penrith have been out of this world in the last 3 seasons.
Prior 6 seasons they made finals 4 times.
So thats 7/9 seasons with 3 and this year pending 4 top 4 finishes. That's very succesfull. Also a minor premiership and equal points last season to the minor premiership.

2019 - 10th
2018 - 5th
2017- 7th
2016- 6th
2015 - 11th
2014 - 4th

I expect they will drop right off next season. But who knows.
Yeah looking at total wins, they are up there with the Chooks, despite only winning one premiership to three. Obviously premierships take some luck, so I would agree the Panthers (and Souths) are in the same class as Easts, but behind the Storm. Total wins over the past ten and a bit years:

ClubWins between round 1, 2012 and round 9, 2022
Melbourne197
Sydney164
Souths159
Penrith152
Cronulla137
Manly134
Brisbane127
Canberra127
North Queensland124
Parramatta119
Canterbury114
St George-Illawarra106
New Zealand101
Wests94
Newcastle92
Gold Coast90

This table is a good indication of the fundamental strength of each club, though as always, the fundamental strength of a given club does change over time, and a sample of more recent results might reflect that. However, a smaller sample is also more susceptible to random fluctuations that can distort our understanding of what's happening. But as a thought exercise, have a look at how this 10+ year table compares to the 2022 ladder after less than half a season. Only a few clubs are over- or underperforming their ten year average so far this year.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I regularly frequented Lang Park before it was rebuilt. I’d be disappointed if I didn’t see a punch up most games.

Latest posts