What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 versus the Titans

qld redvee

Juniors
We looking outside the club you mean? Why not look within as we have one probably champing at the bit to get a firsts crack in Connor Muhleisen. And I believe he is a local junior. Pity lower tier footy is not covered as many of us dont get the chance to see the young up and comers actually playing to better determine their ability, like we do with young cricketers for instance.
baggy,
if they dont think young conner is ready for a year or 2 i hope our pathways team have sat down and explained all this to young conner so he doesnt up and leave .. what worries me is looking to fill the squad from outside in the middle of a comp. anybody decent will be kept and we can only then get a plodder that the team would be happy to let go .. We have michael molo and jayden hunt on development bump them up to bolster our stocks ,, Will be interesting to see what our new recruitment team in flanagan has got fore us next year ...

dungay dragon

Juniors
Interesting take by some about selections.

We have a squad currently at 28 to chose from, of those:
Max Feagai played his first game in Flegg after serious injury.
Billy Burns has been out injured maybe due back this week
Jayden Sua is out injured
Andrew McCollough was a withdrawal through injury

So there 4 less 'available' from the squad. That leaves 24 to choose from, of which:
George Burgess isnt fit enough for 1st grade
Jackson Ford is a fringe player at best
Poasa Faamasili well enough said
Josh Kerr just hasnt produced
Tautau Moga another who just hasnt produced on the field.

So, theres another 5 who shouldnt be seeing 1st grade unless something serious happens. I believe that leaves 19 to choose from, and we basically saw the 19 this week ie; the 17 who played, Cody Ramsey who was 18th man and Tyrell Fuimaono who was the last to be left out of this game.

Yes, we need a hooker, and from what I've been told the search is on on earnest. Obiously another forward wouldn't go astray either to complete the 30 requirement.

Mbye is not a starting hooker, ok as a bench replacement but not a starter. The same with Bud. Their defense is not 'seasoned' enough to withstand the constant demands of the role, and it was plainly and painfully evident yesterday.
Our young guns are so raw, and they will find it more and more difficult to gain confidence the more we lose like yesterday.

With Moose likely out for a while another forward is needed. Sims back to edge maybe.

So, basically, we are in a world of pain right now, no depth, no 'gun' shining bright in ressies either (consider they got absolutely smacked last game). What we have is what we have, that won't change in the short term either, and may get worse once origin rolls around (I said may!).
DS
Whats happened to M Molo and Jayden Hunt ?
Didnt see them on your listing

Lovemedragons

Juniors
I believe that any fullback letting a ball bounce in any situation is a cardinal sin. If they drop one of those bombs but are putting their body on the line, at least they're showing the attitude and commitment that is required of a fullback.

Letting a ball bounce to me is akin to being scared of the ball or the contact which is why I think it isn't a good sign that Tyrell who has played all his junior football in the position is another who lacks even the will or attitude to get under the ball.

Dufty was the same and for years us as supporters overlooked his glaring defensive issues because we thought what he added with the ball was better and now look at him, he will be either in ESL next year or won't be playing the game at NRL level anymore.

I don't want the same for Sloane and I hope we see this facet of his game improve but it's certainly worrying.

Cast your mind back to my namesake as a young fullback, he wasn't the biggest guy nor did he need to be. Every time a bomb went up he was willing to get under it and do his best to catch it, he didn't catch them all but at least he tried and that's all I for one want to see in a young up and coming fullback.

The ball skills can come second for mine, show that you're a natural fullback who wants to put their body on the line and isn't scared first.
Feagai owned at least one high ball yesterday, and every other touch was secure - he is a quality type who should be given the 1 to own. Sloan has some glaring deficiencies given his background but I would give him a run on the wing as he does possess speed but with a poor passing game.

SAP58

Juniors
Interesting take by some about selections.

We have a squad currently at 28 to chose from, of those:
Max Feagai played his first game in Flegg after serious injury.
Billy Burns has been out injured maybe due back this week
Jayden Sua is out injured
Andrew McCollough was a withdrawal through injury

So there 4 less 'available' from the squad. That leaves 24 to choose from, of which:
George Burgess isnt fit enough for 1st grade
Jackson Ford is a fringe player at best
Poasa Faamasili well enough said
Josh Kerr just hasnt produced
Tautau Moga another who just hasnt produced on the field.

So, theres another 5 who shouldnt be seeing 1st grade unless something serious happens. I believe that leaves 19 to choose from, and we basically saw the 19 this week ie; the 17 who played, Cody Ramsey who was 18th man and Tyrell Fuimaono who was the last to be left out of this game.

Yes, we need a hooker, and from what I've been told the search is on on earnest. Obiously another forward wouldn't go astray either to complete the 30 requirement.

Mbye is not a starting hooker, ok as a bench replacement but not a starter. The same with Bud. Their defense is not 'seasoned' enough to withstand the constant demands of the role, and it was plainly and painfully evident yesterday.
Our young guns are so raw, and they will find it more and more difficult to gain confidence the more we lose like yesterday.

With Moose likely out for a while another forward is needed. Sims back to edge maybe.

So, basically, we are in a world of pain right now, no depth, no 'gun' shining bright in ressies either (consider they got absolutely smacked last game). What we have is what we have, that won't change in the short term either, and may get worse once origin rolls around (I said may!).
A very well put together post, depressing but also accurate unfortunately. There will be a number of players that will be leaving the club at the end of the year with the clean out to continue the critical part is who we can attract to improve the squad & complement our juniors coming through. Is Hook the man ? Not sure now but time will tell.

Dragon David

First Grade
Dad passed away many years ago.
I still keep thinking about yesterday's game..probably overthinking it.
But can't help it.
Sorry Jeff. I sort of thought that was the case when you said he "used to say". No need to dwell too much on yesterday's game Jeff as it has been done and dusted and all bruises attended to and basically all of us on this Forum have had their gripes and grumbles to get off their chests.

Next week is a another chapter of the Dragons story to add to chapters gone by. Hopefully it will be the start of our resurgence.

Cheers

Dragon David

First Grade
people we are at a very import fork with our season, we are now left with many decisions to make regards juniors , player positions, coaching you name it we still are nowhere and have a very long way to go.. look at the team performance, discipline, attitude can anyone tell me what direction the team is heading in, we are left with a situation that if we punt our juniors that may shatter them, if they remain in the side and we continue to have losses like yesterday that may damage them just as much. this was always the risk in bringing in juniors in prominent positions into a team that has always been hanging on by a thread in both attack and defence, put those guys into a team like penrith or the storm and see how they go, the style of coach also has a lot to do with it. either we rebuild with these guys as an integral part of the team, or we get rid of them and try a buy a premiership which i seriously doubt that would ever happen at the dragons.
What you say "we get rid of them and try a buy a premiership which i seriously doubt that would ever happen at the dragons" basically isn't working for the Bulldogs. I've heard that Burton isn't all that happy being at the Bulldogs. Barrett has won only 5 games in 34 and their club has bought many and will have Kikkau and Mahoney next year. Gould says that "he is happy with Barrett" but I don't think their Board members are.

So before we go out and do some serious shopping, I think that our Board and staff need to think hard and long on what is needed. We will have Hook again next year. For that time, the Board will need to have him work on development of our young ones and get them experienced at a higher level. Try several things that are not in the script. Look at our weaknesses and strengths and rid those not worthy of keeping and sign up players that are younger and have adapted to change and better than those we let go - definitely not rejects or journeymen. When the Board say to Hook we are not going to renew your contract in 2024 and onwards, line up a coach that will help the players win games.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
It’s simple. Ok you 3 kids. I’m going to back good bad or ugly. Go out and play the way you have since day dot and let’s see what we can do. Hunt stop running sideways and open up the field for Suli and Zac. Simple. Hit a couple up a set get some offloads and break down defence patterns. I liked hook but nice bloke and all the game has past him. How he could be happy with last night all bar the first 20 is beyond me.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
It’s simple. Ok you 3 kids. I’m going to back good bad or ugly. Go out and play the way you have since day dot and let’s see what we can do. Hunt stop running sideways and open up the field for Suli and Zac. Simple. Hit a couple up a set get some offloads and break down defence patterns. I liked hook but nice bloke and all the game has past him. How he could be happy with last night all bar the first 20 is beyond me.

Dragons4me

Juniors
Gee I hate the Presser after the game ..... Hook and Hunt look like two lost souls ...... Depressing , again Hook comes out and says he was proud of the boys on thier defensive effort , FMD they missed 54 tackles and he is happy , attack is non existing Hunt looks like he is ready to cry ..... Own up start throwing things around the room show your disappointment , tell everyone its not good enough , change your stuctures and the way they play yell scream at the presser so we know you both are not happy ...... But no we get I'm proud of the boy's .......

Yeah the post game pressers are depressing monosyllabic dribble. To be honest, I can't watch them anymore.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
This makes far too much sense @ChocOConnor , so probably shouldn't be posted on a Dragons forum! 😁

RedVee_8

Juniors
So we lost in extra time but it should never have got to that point.
Lomax converts that try and we win in the 80 mins.
We stop that soft Wallace try and we win in the 80 mins. What is it with Wallace anyway? Why do we turn him into a try scoring machine?

However, I agree with some other posters… that Penrith Storm game was a completely different level to our game. It was a return to the 3 games on the ticket days…. And we were decidedly Reserve Grade.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
So we lost in extra time but it should never have got to that point.
Lomax converts that try and we win in the 80 mins.
We stop that soft Wallace try and we win in the 80 mins. What is it with Wallace anyway? Why do we turn him into a try scoring machine?

However, I agree with some other posters… that Penrith Storm game was a completely different level to our game. It was a return to the 3 games on the ticket days…. And we were decidedly Reserve Grade.
Not enough talent to go around. Not enough juniors playing the game. And the league decides to bring in another team. Silly merkins

justadragon

Bench
there you go the bulldogs are meeting to discuss trents barretts future. for those of you including myself who are not liking this coach, just think back to how we acquired his services, he wasnt in high demand was he, no he was just the best of a bad bunch, so thats what we are getting, poor coaching by the lowest paid coach in the nrl. as for those who are calling for flanagan, well isnt he there, wouldnt there be some advice given , are we not a club in total, as for matty head well soward is there to, surely there has been discussions about our attack, i cant believe that the club as a whole is not pitching in to improve things.