What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trent Barrett and the Bulldogs

Floodwaters

Juniors
Begs the question: what job will head hair Barrett schmooze his way into next?

His record makes Stephen Kearneys record look great, Kearney went 24% at Parramatta and then 41% at Warriors and his been effectively thrown to the shit can so I would think the same will be done with Barrett, if he likes it or not now his a lifetime assistant.

Generalzod

Immortal
All this fascination with Gus everything he says all is a complete lie, I mean I don’t dont highly rate him as a coach look at the teams he was blessed with when he won the premiership for the Dogs in 88 and with the Riff in 91. Not to forget what he’d did to coach Murray at the Roosters, He goes to Penrith again sacks Griffin, hires Cleary sacks Cleary, board hires Cleary back, is this really how the so called brains of Rugby league manage things, does the same thing at Canterbury the guy is a myth..

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
All this fascination with Gus everything he says all is a complete lie, I mean I don’t dont highly rate him as a coach look at the teams he was blessed with when he won the premiership for the Dogs in 88 and with the Riff in 91. Not to forget what he’d did to coach Murray at the Roosters, He goes to Penrith again sacks Griffin, hires Cleary sacks Cleary, board hires Cleary back, is really how the so called brains of Rugby league manage things, does the same thing at Canterbury the guy is a myth..

Then he goes on about people having a agenda...

Results speak for themselves Mr 31% is a garbage coach

Angry_eel

First Grade
All this fascination with Gus everything he says all is a complete lie, I mean I don’t dont highly rate him as a coach look at the teams he was blessed with when he won the premiership for the Dogs in 88 and with the Riff in 91. Not to forget what he’d did to coach Murray at the Roosters, He goes to Penrith again sacks Griffin, hires Cleary sacks Cleary, board hires Cleary back, is really how the so called brains of Rugby league manage things, does the same thing at Canterbury the guy is a myth..
I think he bring agility to RL clubs, quick actions - They work sometimes. Let's see how it goes for the Bulldogs.

While rugby league loves black and white, the reality with Gus is often grey. He is very good in some areas (strong philosophy that he can generally get people to buy into etc) but less strong in others (roster management because I genuinely think he feels too strongly for the players).

I think what it talks to is the need to put a robust governance structure around him (around all people really, Cleary at Tigers and Bennett with just about all his clubs over the past decade are other examples). Whether he would accept that or not is another matter.

big hit!

Bench
Unlike many others, particularly those in the media, I was never sold on the Bulldogs improving this season. Many of their recruits were shady characters or discards other clubs were happy to let go - TPJ, Vaughan, Dufty, Naden. Seriously, anyone who got excited about these players arriving need their head read. Bulldogs just leaped at anyone available in the market. You don't build a team around these guys.

Burton and Ado-Carr are quality. JAC can do some good work bringing out the pill in yardage, and he'll do some special things on the end of a backline move which we've seen a few times this season, but the bloke needs to be given the pill to enable it. Good luck when most of the guys inside him are spuds.

Burton is just one player in a spine of spuds. He needs a half back to manage the game, and a hooker who can get the defensive line going backwards. He has neither at his disposal.

There's recruiting on need and character, and there's recruiting a bunch of mercenaries. Bulldogs did well with the latter.

Wb1234

Referee
All this fascination with Gus everything he says all is a complete lie, I mean I don’t dont highly rate him as a coach look at the teams he was blessed with when he won the premiership for the Dogs in 88 and with the Riff in 91. Not to forget what he’d did to coach Murray at the Roosters, He goes to Penrith again sacks Griffin, hires Cleary sacks Cleary, board hires Cleary back, is this really how the so called brains of Rugby league manage things, does the same thing at Canterbury the guy is a myth..
Gus is one the best coaches in history

dogs should make him coaching director with a puppet as head coach or assistant

but he won’t give up his media jobs so it won’t happen

Perth Tiger

Bench
Said it before, but this rhetoric about there being "not enough playing talent to sustain more NRL teams" is a deflection tactic to take the focus off more competition for the existing teams and also to take the heat off coaches. There's enough talented players (some not in the NRL currently) it's the lack of decent coaches with a current gig that leads to the discrepancies we see in ability.
Yep, every coach has their 'system' which is usual a rip off of the storm or other top team and don't give a stuff if the players they actually have can play that style, so instead of coaching the players they have they end up as basket cases like the Barrett and Kearny coached teams

Floodwaters

Juniors
it's the lack of decent coaches with a current gig that leads to the discrepancies we see in ability.

Disagree.

Mick Malthouse said it the best "Good coaches need good players, a coach can't do anything without good players"

Craig Bellamy hidden away down in Melbourne, the one time he come out of his little protection bubble was to coach NSW and the result? 3 series, 3 losses, one being 3-0 QLD.

It doesn't matter how good a coach you are, if you don't have the players you can't do shit and the talent is spread that thin its not funny.

dogslife

Coach
Then he goes on about people having a agenda...

Results speak for themselves Mr 31% is a garbage coach
Cant dispute Baz"s record, it's dogshit. But Buzz writes the same article every week about Gus/Barrett/Bulldogs and whacks a different title on it. He's the laziest hack journalist in rugby league.

That smacks of agenda to me. And he's not alone

Iamback

Coach
Cant dispute Baz"s record, it's dogshit. But Buzz writes the same article every week about Gus/Barrett/Bulldogs and whacks a different title on it. He's the laziest hack journalist in rugby league.

That smacks of agenda to me. And he's not alone

That is RL media though. WT copped it when they were struggling

If Gus wasn't there. Does the press change?
Remembering there has been leaks from the Dogs camp

dogslife

Coach
That is RL media though. WT copped it when they were struggling

If Gus wasn't there. Does the press change?
Remembering there has been leaks from the Dogs camp
I reckon it would follow Gus to be honest. Buzz and Kent especially are obsessed with him. Doubt it changes with a new coaching staff

Iamback

Coach
I reckon it would follow Gus to be honest. Buzz and Kent especially are obsessed with him. Doubt it changes with a new coaching staff

Take the Gus running the training session.

Hooper had a play by play.. So someone leaked it.
So if anything that gets the press to play nice

Buzz definitely has a thing for Gus (and vice versa). They talk about it on 360 from time to time.

Most obvious time I have seen is earlier this year when Buzz made the claims about the Dogs not using drone tech at training. Gus shot him down by tweeting some drone images. The next night Buzz’s attitude was basically ‘so what if I made a mistake, Gus has made plenty (moving Cleary on, extending Hook and then sacking him and bringing Cleary back).

Now I am a thankful Penrith fan who thinks Gus has done a a lot for the club, but he is a very fallible human being. But I do take umbrage with Buzz’s line of reasoning. Gus works in a subjective industry, where your judgements are based on success in a highly competitive and evolving sport. He makes decisions and some will be right and some wrong.

But a hack like Buzz only needs to do one thing right. That is; when he tells the world something is happening he needs to ensure it is true. I’m sure it’s stressful and expectations are likely high, but ultimately it is not a difficult job. For him to compare his job to that of Gus or Barrett is ridiculous.

So I am sure things could have gone better for both Gus and Barrett, but (particularly for Barrett) he is up against 15 clubs that all want to do better than him; some of which are starting from a better position (rosters, systems etc) and have more experience.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on his performance, but for the likes of Kent and Buzz to think their opinion is worth any more than any other fans shows a degree of entitlement.

Rant out….

mongoose

Coach
Disagree.

Mick Malthouse said it the best "Good coaches need good players, a coach can't do anything without good players"

Craig Bellamy hidden away down in Melbourne, the one time he come out of his little protection bubble was to coach NSW and the result? 3 series, 3 losses, one being 3-0 QLD.

It doesn't matter how good a coach you are, if you don't have the players you can't do shit and the talent is spread that thin its not funny.
I know he's a merkin but If you don't think Bellamy is a good coach and deserves a lot of credit for the Storm's dominance then I don't know what to say.... . Even after Cronk left then Slater retired then Smith, they somehow got even better, statistically anyway.
I don't think any club in the history of sport has lost such quality players and have continued to dominate, except for maybe some mega rich European soccer clubs.

Latest posts