What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Jamberoo

Juniors
It'd be a bit of a tight fit to get Canberra ready in time. The ball would have to start moving pretty much straight away.

It should happen, but I doubt it will unfortunately.
There is time. A 30K stadium would be a 2.5 year build. So almost two years available for planning/funding.
Reading the 2019 infrastructure report, it suggests a 25K stadium would be difficult at Civic (so 30K unlikely there), and also that they would not rebuild or spend significant $$$ at Bruce unless the Commonwealth Govt sold them the land, and that due to better transport links and more space, that EPIC may be preferred. It lists a new stadium as a medium term project, stagint that the current stadium would be fit for purpose until the mid 2020s.
Anyone know if they ACT govt is planning to update this report?

The Great Dane

First Grade
There is time. A 30K stadium would be a 2.5 year build. So almost two years available for planning/funding.
Reading the 2019 infrastructure report, it suggests a 25K stadium would be difficult at Civic (so 30K unlikely there), and also that they would not rebuild or spend significant $$$ at Bruce unless the Commonwealth Govt sold them the land, and that due to better transport links and more space, that EPIC may be preferred. It lists a new stadium as a medium term project, stagint that the current stadium would be fit for purpose until the mid 2020s.
Anyone know if they ACT govt is planning to update this report?
Since then they've admitted that the Civic Pool site will fit closer to 20k unless the Feds let them eat into Commonwealth park, which is unlikely to happen and would cause a whole bunch of other issues if it did. Covid has had it's impact since then as well lol.

Without going too deeply into boring local politics, at this point the new stadium almost certainly won't happen before 2030 unless there's Federal intervention or the ACT pauses expansion of the light rail after the second stage is complete, both of which are unlikely to happen.
You'd also incite massive community outcry if the new stadium is built before the arena is fixed up/replaced, and rightly so. The Palace has been out of action for a couple years now because of safety concerns, and Canberra can't go without an arena for much longer.

As for the report; they update it every few years just to make it look like they are doing something.

On a side note, a suitable stadium in Civic is a pipe dream at this point, and people still pushing for it are just allowing perfect to be the enemy of the good.

Timbo

Staff member
Since then they've admitted that the Civic Pool site will fit closer to 20k unless the Feds let them eat into Commonwealth park, which is unlikely to happen and would cause a whole bunch of other issues if it did. Covid has had it's impact since then as well lol.

Without going too deeply into boring local politics, at this point the new stadium almost certainly won't happen before 2030 unless there's Federal intervention or the ACT pauses expansion of the light rail after the second stage is complete, both of which are unlikely to happen.
You'd also incite massive community outcry if the new stadium is built before the arena is fixed up/replaced, and rightly so. The Palace has been out of action for a couple years now because of safety concerns, and Canberra can't go without an arena for much longer.

As for the report; they update it every few years just to make it look like they are doing something.

On a side note, a suitable stadium in Civic is a pipe dream at this point, and people still pushing for it are just allowing perfect to be the enemy of the good.

I almost think we're at the point that with the development that's happened around Bruce in the last ten-fifteen years it's not as bad a spot as it used to be to keep it.

If the light rail from Civic-Belco gets the green light to improve its access, and a few venues for pre and post game get togethers can establish themselves in the area, then why not at this point.

They're just going to keep dicking us around with Civic when I've accepted it'll never happen there.

I almost think we're at the point that with the development that's happened around Bruce in the last ten-fifteen years it's not as bad a spot as it used to be to keep it.

If the light rail from Civic-Belco gets the green light to improve its access, and a few venues for pre and post game get togethers can establish themselves in the area, then why not at this point.

They're just going to keep dicking us around with Civic when I've accepted it'll never happen there.

sure theres been development but its mostly all residential isn't it.
theres one small joint close.
you would ideally want at least 2 venues of say..the light house size within 500 meters walk.

Wb1234

Referee
That should really help grow the roosters crowds. They really should push memberships and crowds this stadium is a massive benefit to them

south’s won’t have any issues filling out that ground

and both clubs are going to see a massive upturn in corporate box sales. This is as good as it gets for the corporates

Marlins

Juniors
Looks incredible, too bad it’s wasted on the Roosters. If this had been built at Homebush instead imagine the crowd increase for the Dogs, South’s and Tigers. The Chooks, Yawnion & Sydney FC would’ve really benefited from a commbank capacity. This is way to big and beautiful for the likes of those scummy low drawing clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yay more empty pastic seats lol. Seriously though great opportunity for Roosters to get off their arse and build an active fanbase.

Jamberoo

Juniors
MCG redevelopment is a stage closer. Will be interesting to see if they incorporate some form of multipurpose seating inside the fence (like Optus) on the south side. All they need to do is build the stand a metre above the field and you could get 108K in for rectangular sports. Woud look great on TV. Then do the same on the other side in 20 - 25 years and capacity would be 111K.

The Great Dane

First Grade

The light rail plans to stop off on Hayden Drive near Calvary hospital. In other words it's going to stop off a fair leg from the stadium.

The light rail is only going to improve access to people that live on it's corridor anyway, and I doubt it'll ever make it to Tuggeranong and maybe a couple other places anyway.

The Great Dane

First Grade
sure theres been development but its mostly all residential isn't it.
theres one small joint close.
you would ideally want at least 2 venues of say..the light house size within 500 meters walk.
It's basically 100% residential and you'd want more than a couple pubs within walking distance.

Ideally any new stadium should be built in or on the edge of a town centre, not in the middle of a suburb, and preferably a town centre central to the city as a whole.

In saying that Civic is basically a no go and planned development in Woden means that there almost certainly won't be room there either. So that's the two most central town centres gone, leaving Belco, Tuggers, and Gungahlin, none of which are ideal.

The whole situation is pretty f**ked for rectangular sports at this point to be honest. On the other hand oval sports are going to come out smelling rosy considering that they can just upgrade either Manuka or Phillip given time...

Canard

Immortal
The average international cricket game has a couple broadcasters then those programs are broadcast into all markets. WC games have multiple broadcasters and their commentary teams all broadcasting at the same time and the stadium needs the facilities to support that.

Now I'm not saying that Geelong can't support that, I don't know if it can or can't, but I wouldn't be surprised if the government skimped on those facilities because they thought they'd never need them.
You don't think they will adopt the current system (adopted during Covid) of a host broadcaster supplying the vision and the commentary team calling it in a remote studio?

I doubt Namibia V Georgia in Townsville will require to much media facilities, for example.