What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What those advocating afl style expansion don't want u to know

Colk

First Grade
I don’t count wa or Adelaide

genuine expansion into nsw and qld

Swans are the only really strong club and I believe that’s largely down to super league

suns could maybe end up being a stable small club. Gws will move to Canberra it’s inevitable

I would argue that the Lions have also been successful unfortunately. Not as big as the Swans but they have carved their own niche

Pippen94

First Grade
I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make here.

The whole point of this thread has been that AFL’s expansion hasn’t worked because nobody is watching or playing the game in RL areas, yet now you’re saying that Sydney has produced top level players for decades. That would suggest that their expansion has worked hasn’t it?

You then seem to argue with yourself and say that some people are only believing it’s national because the competition says it is? If people in Brisbane and Sydney and everywhere else in Australia watch AFL and play the game and they produce players in those areas, then that is by definition a national competition.

Read what I write very carefully; afl has always been played in NSW & qld. Trumper oval here was always center for sport before anybody ever thought of relocating south Melbourne. I remember Greg Norman who grew up in qld talk about playing afl as a teen. Ppl trying to claim game has grown & exploded based on expansion. If you look at most recent expansion which has now been a decade, there has been little growth as a result - less than 1% participation to be exact

Pippen94

First Grade
I don’t count wa or Adelaide

genuine expansion into nsw and qld

Swans are the only really strong club and I believe that’s largely down to super league

suns could maybe end up being a stable small club. Gws will move to Canberra it’s inevitable

TV ratings for swans averages less than netball in corresponding Sunday timeslot. After 40 years still struggle for widespread support here.

Colk

First Grade
Looking at stats there doesn't appear to much interest in sport in western sydney regardless of the team. Swans presence was/is very minor.

Ratings for NRL games in Perth sometimes around 6k. Built up demand Perth Red talks about is overstated. Aside from bears there's no other bid.

Ignoring ur weird race theories, you think there's a cultural resistance to afl wait to u see NRL give rusted-on afl cities a go.

NRL have already done this and that side are the most successful side in the competition, have the most members, have higher attendances than a majority of Sydney teams and have the highest amount of supporters on social media. I don’t know about you but I would say that is a success

Swans have been successful because they have managed to gain support in the upper class areas of Sydney - carving a niche. Western Sydney is completely different to North and Eastern Sydney, although you already know that but you are being deliberately obtuse. You are also confirming my point, although I don’t know if you have worked that out yet.

Define what you mean by a bid? An expression of interest? If so, there has been multiple bids from Perth

Wb1234

Referee
I would argue that the Lions have also been successful unfortunately. Not as big as the Swans but they have carved their own niche
True but the afl are funding them like the other basket cases

swans get like 16 million pa

Lions get 25 million plus also 5 million from their leagues club whilst the swans have no leagues club

they really are a basket case financially

and now they have to compete further with a new rugby league team which has assets of 100 million

Colk

First Grade
..after being bailed out by league.

So? How many teams have been bailed out by the NRL, including those in Sydney. Their crowds have been the equivalent to the Broncos in a lot of years. Same as the Swans, they have had bigger crowd numbers than a lot of Sydney NRL sides

Furthermore, and this is how you really judge these things - how much money have these teams generated the AFL? Sure those clubs have struggled at times but the thing is their crowds and their TV deals have been higher than ours and have been for many years.

I agree that they have been too audacious with GWS and GC Suns (particularly the latter) but to argue that the Swans and the Lions haven’t worked is a bit ridiculous.

Wb1234

Referee
So? How many teams have been bailed out by the NRL, including those in Sydney. Their crowds have been the equivalent to the Broncos in a lot of years. Same as the Swans, they have had bigger crowd numbers than a lot of Sydney NRL sides

Furthermore, and this is how you really judge these things - how much money have these teams generated the AFL? Sure those clubs have struggled at times but the thing is their crowds and their TV deals have been higher than ours and have been for many years.

I agree that they have been too audacious with GWS and GC Suns (particularly the latter) but to argue that the Swans and the Lions haven’t worked is a bit ridiculous.
The lions and swans used to have massive tv ratings and did justify how much tv money they got. Then those ratings collapsed and never recovered

the lack of tv ratings in nsw and qld is going to hurt afl one day

Perth Red

Post Whore
AFL revenue pre suns/gws expansion $300mill. Afl revenue ten years later $794million. Yep expansion has really hurt them lol.

Pippen94

First Grade

So what?! Attendance's mean shi.. Neither club has grown widespread support in their respective cities. Lots of resources to sustain niche following which is based on teams winning. Lions made four straight grand finals & still needed bailing out. Will again someday too

I definitely think GC Suns was and is a mistake. It’s not big enough, it’s generally a league area and it is a tourist/transient area. Even RL has had problems in that area so I don’t understand how they thought that was going to work

GWS is probably the same although it is a big area so it might work, depending on what their goals are. The biggest problem they have is that AFL is such an anglo sport that it has problems capturing the attention of ethnically diverse areas of Western Sydney
Anna Bligh funded the Carrara Stadium upgrade because she knew Victorian fumbleball fans would travel to the Gold Coast for a holiday when their AwFuL team was in town. A lot of Victorians come up yo the Gold Coast during the winter to escape Melbourne's horrible weather.

Polynesians don't have the body type to succeed in fumbleball. A fumbleballer needs to be more ectomorphic. Polynesians are mesomorphic endomorphs.

Sporting teams on the Gold Coast are not a great success no matter what the code one has to say.

How many Gold Coast League teams has there been - Seagulls/ Giants/Gladiators/Chargers and now Titans - Football - Gold Coast United FC and AFL - Gold Coast Suns.
Just two. Chargers and Titans. Chargers were cut despite having money in the bank and making a profit in their final season.

Giants and Seagulls were based in Tweed Heads. Seagulls went tits up when Queensland legalised gaming machines. Up until then the old bastards on the Gold Coast would catch a bus to Seagulls Leagues to spin the pokies. When gaming machines were introduced into Queensland the oldies started going to their local Leagues club.

Gladiators lasted a few months. I don't know what happened there.

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
NRL have already done this and that side are the most successful side in the competition, have the most members, have higher attendances than a majority of Sydney teams and have the highest amount of supporters on social media. I don’t know about you but I would say that is a success

Swans have been successful because they have managed to gain support in the upper class areas of Sydney - carving a niche. Western Sydney is completely different to North and Eastern Sydney, although you already know that but you are being deliberately obtuse. You are also confirming my point, although I don’t know if you have worked that out yet.

Define what you mean by a bid? An expression of interest? If so, there has been multiple bids from Perth

Yeah, that's not related to what I said. You said western Sydney had a team already, but stats show barely anybody there watched sport before latest expansion (or after). Then you went off on some tangent..

Pippen94

First Grade
A

As will having an extra game to sell, especially when it adds more metro reach which is where the tv advertising revenue is.

More games added to value. Location didn't because new teams rate shi.. in home towns (or anywhere). Doubled up in metros because nowhere else to go..

Colk

First Grade
Yeah, that's not related to what I said. You said western Sydney had a team already, but stats show barely anybody there watched sport before latest expansion (or after). Then you went off on some tangent..

Nice deflection. Your whole point (if that’s what you call it) is that AFL had failed because they have gone to League areas and not gained enough traction. You then made the point by stating that the same thing would happen to the NRL if they attempted.

The ‘tangent’ if you will was that Melbourne had been successful and popular whilst based in an AFL city. I also suggested that demographics and sociology-economic factors play a role in all of this but obviously you didn’t understand. I’d suggest that you read what I write carefully

Colk

First Grade
More games added to value. Location didn't because new teams rate shi.. in home towns (or anywhere). Doubled up in metros because nowhere else to go..

Of course if they had 16 Melbourne sides for example, they would have achieved the same TV money. Seriously?