What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What those advocating afl style expansion don't want u to know

Pippen94

First Grade
Of course if they had 16 Melbourne sides for example, they would have achieved the same TV money. Seriously?

Well, Sydney ratings for grand final were practically the same from when western Sydney was there as opposed to two Melbourne clubs. Also, nine & fox were keen on Brisbane but not Perth, so much for ur theory..

Pippen94

First Grade
You need to read up about business and capitalism. I’m wondering if you still support the PNG bid

Having mining industry propping up PNG is no different than finding somebody to prop up reds, storm etc. PNG will at least help talent pool

I don’t count wa or Adelaide

genuine expansion into nsw and qld

Swans are the only really strong club and I believe that’s largely down to super league

suns could maybe end up being a stable small club. Gws will move to Canberra it’s inevitable
Swans drew good crowds in 86 and 87, which was when they enjoyed a bit if success. I think the Lions and Swans will lose a fair few supporters when they have a lean trot, but I don't think they'll go back to having sub-10k crowds like they did in the 80s and 90s.

Pippen94

First Grade
Swans drew good crowds in 86 and 87, which was when they enjoyed a bit if success. I think the Lions and Swans will lose a fair few supporters when they have a lean trot, but I don't think they'll go back to having sub-10k crowds like they did in the 80s and 90s.

Afl will never let swans lose. Ratings barely anything now..

Wb1234

Referee
That’s my worry for the storm too when Bellamy goes

Colk

First Grade
Well, Sydney ratings for grand final were practically the same from when western Sydney was there as opposed to two Melbourne clubs. Also, nine & fox were keen on Brisbane but not Perth, so much for ur theory..

Yeah but what were the ratings when the Swans made the grand final for example? You seem to be conflating one with another - because GWS hasn’t gained traction and have been a failure thus far that therefore the Swans have also been a failure. Or that all AFL expansion into QLD and NSW has been a failure. Or that any possible NRL expansion to anywhere outside of NSW and QLD would/will be a failure

It is the lack of nuance I don’t understand.

Wb1234

Referee
Yeah but what were the ratings when the Swans made the grand final for example? You seem to be conflating one with another - because GWS hasn’t gained traction and have been a failure thus far that therefore the Swans have also been a failure. Or that all AFL expansion into QLD and NSW has been a failure. Or that any possible NRL expansion to anywhere outside of NSW and QLD would/will be a failure

It is the lack of nuance I don’t understand.
The swans used to get great ratings in Sydney. I think they have fallen by around 60 percent

Colk

First Grade
Having mining industry propping up PNG is no different than finding somebody to prop up reds, storm etc. PNG will at least help talent pool

As I suspected you have no idea. Let’s put a side into a third world country - that’ll work.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Sneaky to include Perth & Adelaide teams in there.
Why?

Often when people are talking up the AFL's expansion strategies they're talking about the way they've handled WA and SA, and their businesses strategies in said markets.
Afl has always been played in NSW & qld. Actually Sydney produced top level afl players for decades. Just now competition beats drum & tells everybody how national they are & some ppl believe it.
This is a very random non sequitur.

I never suggested that Aussie Rules didn't exist in NSW and Qld pre-AFL expansion, or that Sydney/NSW didn't produce talent before the AFL's expansion either...

The Great Dane

First Grade
I don’t count wa or Adelaide
So you don't count the Broncos, Raiders, Warriors, etc, as genuine expansion by the NSWRL?

In hindsight if the NSWRL had mirrored some of the VFL's strategies when it came to Perth and Adelaide then their expansion in "heartland" markets outside of Sydney may have been significantly more successful, and RL almost certainly would have avoided the SL war.

The only miss the AFL has had in WA and SA is the Power, whom though not a failure by any means, totally underperform considering the potential.

genuine expansion into nsw and qld

Swans are the only really strong club and I believe that’s largely down to super league

suns could maybe end up being a stable small club. Gws will move to Canberra it’s inevitable
There's no hard evidence that the Swans sudden boost in popularity in the late 90s was because of SL. It's all just lame anecdotes frankly.

People that like to push this idea also tend to pretend certain events didn't happen as they did as well. For example they like to ignore the Swans making the 1996 AFL grand final that lead into a golden period for the club that only finished recently. They also tend to ignore the fact that the Swans were absolute shit for almost a decade before 1996, and that they had a burst of popularity similar to the one in late 90s ten years earlier in the late 80s when they went well for a few years.

A lot of the timelines don't make sense either. For example people often say that the Swans growth was largely because of the disenfranchised fans of the merged and/or cut RL clubs, but their jump in popularity starting in 96 is too early for that to be the case, then there numbers start to come down until 01 before they start to build back up before jumping up again in 03, by which point it's way too late to have been because of those RL fans that had been cut loose.

Basically the SL war is a very convenient excuse for the Swans rise to some, but as far as I know there's no real undeniable evidence that it's actually the case, and I've been looking for said evidence for a very long time.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
$300mil to $794mill A YEAR good return for their investment In a ninth game and new markets.

NRL have already done this and that side are the most successful side in the competition, have the most members, have higher attendances than a majority of Sydney teams and have the highest amount of supporters on social media. I don’t know about you but I would say that is a success

Swans have been successful because they have managed to gain support in the upper class areas of Sydney - carving a niche. Western Sydney is completely different to North and Eastern Sydney, although you already know that but you are being deliberately obtuse. You are also confirming my point, although I don’t know if you have worked that out yet.

Define what you mean by a bid? An expression of interest? If so, there has been multiple bids from Perth
Onionball has been hurt the most by fumbleball's incursions into Sydney and Brisbane. My former dentist is an onionball fan who lives in Wynnum. He also supports fumbleball. I think the onionballers know their game is dead in Australia and are embracing fumbleball out of spite for rugby league.

Onionball has been hurt the most by fumbleball's incursions into Sydney and Brisbane. My former dentist is an onionball fan who lives in Wynnum. He also supports fumbleball. I think the onionballers know their game is dead in Australia and are embracing fumbleball out of spite for rugby league.
Not in NSW. They follow League before that other sport, must be a QLD thing.

Not in NSW. They follow League before that other sport, must be a QLD thing.

Since when has ex-Wallaby Peter Fitzsimpleton preferred rugby league over fumbleball?

He talks up the Swans but says nothing but nasty shit about our game.

How come the Swans have so much support on the North Shore?

The Swans drew great crowds in 86 and 87, which was when they had some onfield success. Then their crowds dropped as their success dried up. I remember watching them in the 1996 fumbleflag. Their crowds that year were great again. Since then their crowds have gotten stronger. You cannot blame it on the Bears' demise as that didn’t happen until 99/00. My guess is much of their support comes from onionball fans who hate rugby league.

Latest posts