What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tigerm

First Grade

MADGE’S HEADACHE AS TIGERS CONSIDER CRICHTON BID

The Wests Tigers may have opted against making a big-money play for back-rower Briton Nikora but now they are setting their sights even higher.

According to a News Corp report, the Tigers are considering making a play for Sydney Roosters star Angus Crichton.

The report claims that Michael Maguire’s close relationship with Crichton from their time at South Sydney could work in the Tigers favour.

No offer has been made though, with the Tigers only said to have held internal talks about making a potential move for Crichton.

Cricthon is off-contract at the end of this year and is said to have agreed to a two-year extension to the Roosters, although it was more a handshake deal.

As it stands, no contract has been signed or registered from the NRL and a salary cap squeeze could leave the Roosters struggling to retain him.

Angus Crichton may be a man-in-demand.
Angus Crichton may be a man-in-demand.Source: Supplied

If the Tigers were to try sign Crichton, it would leave them facing a similar dilemma to the one that saw them opt out of pursuing Nikora.

“The Tigers have got an interest in him but it’s a bit like the situation with Briton Nikora,” The Australian’s Brent Read explained on Fox League’s ‘NRL 360’.

“The Tigers had an interest then but it depends how much he wants. If he wants too much money, the Tigers won’t be in the mix because they’re not interested in paying overs for guys and they won’t pay overs for Angus Crichton.”

There is certainly a need for the Tigers to add to their back-row stocks, with Kelma Tuilagi off to Manly, Luke Garner joining Penrith and Luciano Leilua signing with North Queensland.

Angus Crichton will have to make a big call on his future. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)
Angus Crichton will have to make a big call on his future. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images

Parramatta’s Isaiah Papali’i is on his way but the club could use more help, although Paul Kent applauds the Tigers for not blowing their cap to find the solution.

“They’re not getting tempted into offering another $100,000,” Kent said.

“I love that the Tigers have actually found the discipline to actually start properly evaluating players and say: ‘This is what we think he’s worth and this is where we sit’. They will negotiate up to that cut-off and that’s it.”

Buzz Rothfield argued back that unless the Tigers are prepared to pay “a little bit more”, they will be stuck with the “same roster” that has consistently not produced results.

But Kent was not buying that argument.

“You’ve got to sell the dream,” he said.

“You can’t keep paying overs. That is what’s got them in this problem. What you’ve got to do is start getting your pathways right, the kids coming through have got to start bringing a little bit of appeal to the club and then you’re going to get players seeing all these kids coming through and say to themselves: ‘I’ll go there’ but you can’t keep paying overs. That’s what gets you in that situation.

“The toughest thing to do in football administration is to get your salary cap right, get it balanced — it is very difficult. The minute you pay even $100,000 more than a player is worth, there is $100,000 you can’t spend elsewhere. That is how it begins.

“Crichton would be a good buy for the Tigers... but they can’t lose their nerve and spend too much. They simply can’t do that because the minute you do that, you can’t spend the money elsewhere where you need it.”

Tiger05

First Grade
“Crichton would be a good buy for the Tigers... but they can’t lose their nerve and spend too much. They simply can’t do that because the minute you do that, you can’t spend the money elsewhere where you need it.”

Another good article. I'd love to get Crichton but I hope the club continues negotiating smartly.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Probably just need to match whatever the roosters are offering. No need to go higher because if the Roosters figure out their cap he will sign there and if they don't he has to go somewhere else and was satisfied with the money they were offering

Tiger Ted

Bench
No doubt that not paying overs is a non neg prerequisite for success & we should’ve learnt this by now more so than any other club.However if there is just 1 player who I wouldn’t hesitate to pay overs for as he would complete our spine from ‘23 & massively help turn us into a contender it’s the Dundas shamrocks Balmain junior Paps.Credit to the peerless Storm development system for helping realise his potential.I’d like to think we would’ve attained the same exceptional end product but I don’t think we would have although geez how I’d luv to have seen his progression at Concord.

Tigerm

First Grade
Id pay overs for Crichton for three years.
I tend to agree, as long as it isn’t silly overs and it won’t be, I would expect?

We need some top shelf payers, we’ve got a couple coming next year, and some already here, but our kids can’t do it and need to be shown from these better players.

Though, we never know what they get paid.

simmo1

First Grade
Crichton has seemed a bit subdued in the Roosters games I have watched this year. This season has had 10 games, 0 tries, 1 line break (round 1). Compared to 9 tries, 9 line breaks in 18 games last season. He obviously brings solid defence & experience, but no way would I pay overs.

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
Completely agree with the Tigers new mandate of not paying overs, however for elite origin players I think we can make a slight exception. Our issue was we were paying ex-origin, fringe international players ridiculous money just to get them here. Chrichton is an absolute f**king weapon when he is on and I'd bet my left but Madge could get him up to his best better than any other coach

Wack 5-10% ontop of whatever Roosters are offering

Tigerm

First Grade

The Sporting News have learned that Wests are planning a three-year deal worth over $700,000 per season, with the club expected to formally table the offer to Crichton within the next week.

Shit, if that is a true offer, didn't the cows offer the same to Lucy? We'd be in front well and truly if he comes.

Angus was in exceptional form a couple of years ago in SOO, this year he seems to of dropped off a bit which could be for a number of reasons, as Simmo1 has shown above his stats are down, regardless he is talented and would be a bonus to our roster.

BrotherJim05

Bench
He's being used by the Chooks completely differently this year. He's been playing off the bench in a number of games, plus reduced minutes and playing in the middle sometimes. Last year he was a starting second rower playing for 80 minutes and his stats were incredible. I feel Madge could get him back up to his best, and with Papili'i on the other side of the field we will have the most destructive back row in the comp

The Rosco

Bench
The roosters reasoning on why his contract wasn't submitted to the NRL is all about his performance. They want him to lift his game a bit after being quiet lately.
It is nothing to do with salary cap constraints, a subject not in their vocabulary.

WA Tiger

Bench
$700k Is overs. I just hope it’s not a desperation move without taking a good look at things - again..Thats a lot for a someone that isn’t a current headline player. And I’m not a fan of “yea but he’s been in the Easts system” crap ..Could prob have got him for 6 or less esp if Munster heads to Easts..And then the possible $200k difference drama when Papi outshines him. It may just not happen which could be good? I don’t know Crichton. Obviously I know his name..but I don’t remember him from the few Easts games Ive watched and I wouldn’t count on Madge changing any players fortunes for the better. Not when $700k is at stake

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
How long would it take to get a photo of Naden in a WT jersey and use that on “WT Team” instead of putting out there some real lazy, dumb, lack of class from the club and plastering a bulldogs jersey on the WT website..Nothing wrong with no photo until someone learns how to take a photo

Last edited: