What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowboys: real deal in 22?

zombiebloodlust

Juniors
Surprisingly minimal discussion about the NQ Cowboys in the main NRL forum here. Coming in to a huge game against the premiers this week after smashing a Papenhuyzn-less and Hughes-less Melbourne on the weekend. Early days yet of course but they look very very impressive, and are unlikely to be as impacted during origin as Penrith will, particularly in the halves.

What's been most impressive about them has been the defence. In their last 6 games they've conceded 4 second half points, total. Amazing stuff

Can they win the comp?

yobbo84

First Grade
They've had the easiest draw in the NRL, but an easy draw is one thing, taking advantage of it is another. They're doing really well.

soc123_au

Staff member
They are going exceptionally well, especially when you consider they got their spine from hanging around out the back of other clubs on bin night. Whatever Todd is selling, they are all buying.

GongPanther

Referee
I expect them as finalists provided they manage to keep injuries at bay. If nothing comes by way of playing in the finals, they will look at this season as a springboard to greater things ahead.

The Cows are a breath of fresh air for this comp who are very fast becoming the new entertainers of the NRL.

mistertaylor

Juniors
They've had the easiest draw in the NRL, but an easy draw is one thing, taking advantage of it is another. They're doing really well.
Benefit of hindsight, you might have a point.

However.... coming into this season the overwhelming consensus among punters and commentators was that the Cowboys and Tigers would fight it out for the spoon. No one expected them to pick up early wins against the Raiders (twice) or even the Broncos (in Brisbane). Their first "real" test against the Eels and they smashed them convincingly. Then last week was the "really real" test against the Storm who, even without Paps and Hughes, were widely tipped to win. We all know what happened next.

So now the "REAL really real" test vs Panthers, the reigning premiers, in enemy territory where the home side has been near unbeatable the last 3 years. Again, their opponents are widely tipped to win.

Come 7.30pm Friday we'll have a result, and after 6 in a row they might well be due for a loss. But you know what? The Panthers will need to bring their A game on Friday if they're gonna beat the Cowboys.

Cowboys by 8.

mistertaylor

Juniors
One of the unsung heroes of the Cowboys this year is Hiku. I have no way of quantifying this but I believe his experience and defensive nous has been instrumental in plugging our leaky edges this year. Sure he's on the right edge with Feldt but no doubt in my mind he's in Holmes' ear on the training paddock. An astute signing by Payten in my book.

jim_57

Staff member
I think we’ll finish 3-6 and a good chance of a prelim and from there who knows, unlikely but strangler things have happened.

But I thought we’d be fighting it out for the spoon again so what do I know?

The_Frog

First Grade
However.... coming into this season the overwhelming consensus among punters and commentators was that the Cowboys and Tigers would fight it out for the spoon.
No-one has a clue what is going to happen at the start of any season. They all predict a carbon copy of last season and that never happens. Someone always emerges from the pack.

I thought they'd make some noise last year with Payten after the way he lifted the Warrriors but its come a year late.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
They seem a happy team, and are playing some entertaining footy. I hope they get a home final and have plenty of time to organise additional seating.

It’s fun seeing Melbourne exploited without Hughes, Welch and Papz. If they can win against PeNriTh in PeNriTh people might start to make noise premiership chances.

blaza88z

Coach
Surprisingly minimal discussion about the NQ Cowboys in the main NRL forum here. Coming in to a huge game against the premiers this week after smashing a Papenhuyzn-less and Hughes-less Melbourne on the weekend. Early days yet of course but they look very very impressive, and are unlikely to be as impacted during origin as Penrith will, particularly in the halves.

What's been most impressive about them has been the defence. In their last 6 games they've conceded 4 second half points, total. Amazing stuff

Can they win the comp?

If they can go toe to toe with Penrith, in Penrith, that will give a few answers.

They’ve had a pretty cosy draw in terms of travel, only had to leave QLD twice through 11 rounds of footy.

The_Frog

First Grade
You mean the kind of draw most of the competition enjoys, every season.
If it is a disadvantage for teams like the Cowboys to travel to away games, it surely follows that it is equally a disadvantage for their opponents to have to travel to Townsville.

It'll probably take almost as long to bus it from KSA to Penrith in Friday afternoon traffic as the flight from Townsville to Sydney takes. They'll have a lot going against them in this game. I hope our boys aren't complacent.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
How bad to the Titans look? they were tipped to kick on this season and be the premier QLD club.

Cowboys aren't just winning they are towelling up teams. Broncos doing very well also.

Frailty

First Grade
Their draw has been soft, and looks relatively soft for the remainder of the season - but they can only play who is in front of them.

Their players are filling their roles and playing to their strengths, but I'm not sure they have the creativity/impact in the halves with Townsend and Dearden. Drinkwater has been amazing, but I wonder how long he will be able to keep it up.

I could see them being a 2019-Raiders team that comes out of relatively no where, but have not sure they will be able to maintain success beyond this season.

Latest posts