What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

If we offered that much he would've stayed.
Maybe Reed rates Gus more highly than you do. With new management and Gus on board and plenty of money available to rebuild before Mahoney joins, it's doubtful they'd be offering a lot more than us. They were his junior club too. So maybe we offered Reed 750K but it wasn't quite enough.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Happy days. I like the fact we now put a max price on our players and won’t go above it. Will we will occasionally get a bloody nose like Mahoney, it’s the only way to stop continuously paying overs and getting taken to the cleaners.
It's how we built such a solid squad in the first place. We didn't make the top six just because we had Mahoney, Papali'i and co in the squad. We made the top six because we had those merkins on unders. If we had we wouldn't have fit them all under the cap.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Maybe, every now and again you gonna have to pay market prices. You can't lowball everyone.
We do still have our core of senior players. You might say dudes like Gutherson and RCG are easily replaced but that doesn't recognise the value of leadership and experience in a rugby league squad. This is what enabled merkins like Papali'i and Niukore to become the players they are.

Look at Bennett's first signings at Redcliffe. A core of experienced senior forwards. He knows how club culture is built and it isn't around flashy marquees.

Pazza

First Grade
We do still have our core of senior players. You might say dudes like Gutherson and RCG are easily replaced but that doesn't recognise the value of leadership and experience in a rugby league squad. This is what enabled merkins like Papali'i and Niukore to become the players they are.

Agreed

It's those core of elite players (gutho, moses, brown, rcg and paulo) that you are more likely than likely going to have to pay good money for. I don't think this Is overs.

Pazza

First Grade
Can you let me know what you think "lowball", "paying overs" and "market prices" mean exactly?

Really????

They seems to be pretty understandable terms. Are you struggling with the definitions?

All I'm saying is for core players in your squad and we got some good ones atm. You're going to have to be flexible and maybe you'll have to pay a bit more. I don't think this idea of having hard ceilings on salaries is a Good idea.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Agreed

It's those core of elite players (gutho, moses, brown, rcg and paulo) that you are more likely than likely going to have to pay good money for. I don't think this Is overs.
Agreed. The only one of those who might be on unders is Dylan Brown, and if so he certainly won't be if we keep him. Hopefully none of them are on overs but we just don't know.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't think this idea of having hard ceilings on salaries is a Good idea.
I think it is. Ultimately though, the value of each player should be based on his value to our club rather than to other clubs. This is why we weren't able to keep relative youngsters like Mahoney and Papali'i. More desperate clubs value their potential more than we do so are able to pay them more. And because they have no special value to us from a leadership/culture perspective we have no need to pay them that leadership bonus/tax the stars get. It all adds up to that desperate elsewhere being a more lucrative option.

emjaycee

Coach
Really????

They seems to be pretty understandable terms. Are you struggling with the definitions?
Not at all mate, I was thinking there was some level of sarcastic nuance in your comment and I therefore started to doubt my own inference of what you said.

Mind you I am not getting much sleep of late, so it may just be that i am tired.

hindy111

Post Whore
Not at all mate, I was thinking there was some level of sarcastic nuance in your comment and I therefore started to doubt my own inference of what you said.

Mind you I am not getting much sleep of late, so it may just be that i am tired.

You may have insomnia. f**k I hope it isn't monkey pox. Have you been to the Congo lately?