What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Pretty sure ur the only one that trades in insult. I just post truth which sometimes can cut worse.
Nz2 is favored bid reading between the lines from nrl head office. Sky TV money is guaranteed. Millionaires can cut & run.
That’s a couple of big assumptions lol

The Great Dane

First Grade
I don't support regressive ideas... i support penrith... i don't however shitcoat every idea that gets posted regarding expansion,
Neither do I.

I only attack the ones that deserve attacking because they're stupid or impractical ideas.

No amount of positivity or optimism can change the fact that some ideas are stupid and/or impractical, and as such should be derided. Like suggesting that it's a waste of time to try and prevent or mitigate potential problems for example...
thats kinda the point i was getting at...regarding rocks, not common sence vaccinations hahaha..
The principle is the same and it's embarrassing that you would attempt to pretend otherwise.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Broadcasters won't want a failed Sydney club with just 1,500 fans. Perth's business community won't fund a Sydney team that isn't based solely in Perth. Bears will not accept they're anything less than a controlling stake and games at NSO. For these reasons it will not work.
Now now, there's no need to misrepresent the Bears or their fanbase.

The Bears have plenty of fans whom aren't members of the football club, and under the right circumstances the majority of those people would become supporters, after some fashion at least, of a new Bears NRL side if it were to happen. What percentage of those people would/could be valuable active supporters is a different question, but that is an aside.

Trying to pretend that isn't the case doesn't help your argument, it just makes you look either ill-informed or dishonest.

Now now, there's no need to misrepresent the Bears or their fanbase.

The Bears have plenty of fans whom aren't members of the football club, and under the right circumstances the majority of those people would become supporters, after some fashion at least, of a new Bears NRL side if it were to happen. What percentage of those people would/could be valuable active supporters is a different question, but that is an aside.

Trying to pretend that isn't the case doesn't help your argument, it just makes you look either ill-informed or dishonest.

How many long time North Sydney Bears fans will support a Western Bears entity based out of Perth?

I can imagine some of them will accept the rebrand and attend a few away games in Sydney, but I wouldn't bank on it being more than a few thousand at best. I wouldn't be surprised if their devotion to the new entity wears off after the excitement. I could be wrong, but I think the nostalgia that has drawn older fans to the new entity will wear off at some stage. Of course there's the possibility of them creating new fans, especially among the younger generation, but I have no idea how many people are left in a city that already has nine teams. Plus it would be better for the game if younger people in Sydney adopt one of the existing teams.

The Great Dane

First Grade
How many long time North Sydney Bears fans will support a Western Bears entity based out of Perth?

I can imagine some of them will accept the rebrand and attend a few away games in Sydney, but I wouldn't bank on it being more than a few thousand at best. I wouldn't be surprised if their devotion to the new entity wears off after the excitement. I could be wrong, but I think the nostalgia that has drawn older fans to the new entity will wear off at some stage. Of course there's the possibility of them creating new fans, especially among the younger generation, but I have no idea how many people are left in a city that already has nine teams. Plus it would be better for the game if younger people in Sydney adopt one of the existing teams.
Neither would I, but you are moving the goal posts.

The fact that only a small percentage of them would become active supporters doesn't mean that the Bears don't have a larger fanbase the majority of whom would support the club more casually.

That's not to say that the WA Bears, NZ Bears, regional NSW Bears, or [insert stupid idea here] Bears should happen, but there's no need to misrepresent the Bears or the size of their fanbase to argue against those ideas.

Neither would I, but you are moving the goal posts.

The fact that only a small percentage of them would become active supporters doesn't mean that the Bears don't have a larger fanbase the majority of whom would support the club more casually.

That's not to say that the WA Bears, NZ Bears, regional NSW Bears, or [insert stupid idea here] Bears should happen, but there's no need to misrepresent the Bears or the size of their fanbase to argue against those ideas.
The only metric that matters in professional sport is how many fans are actively attending games and buying merchandise. All NRL teams are underperforming in both departments.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sure in 1980. Sports leagues get their money from rights fees now
yes and no. The comp certainly does but clubs could earn more from an active fanbase. For example in 2019 Broncos earnt $13.5mill from tv. but they earnt $17.5mill mill from membership, merch sales and game day activity.
There’s more money to be made from fans than tv for clubs if they build decent active fanbases.
not that you can’t have both as afl shows.

Wb1234

Referee
yes and no. The comp certainly does but clubs could earn more from an active fanbase. For example in 2019 Broncos earnt $13.5mill from tv. but they earnt $17.5mill mill from membership, merch sales and game day activity.
There’s more money to be made from fans than tv for clubs if they build decent active fanbases.
not that you can’t have both as afl shows.
And yet they haven’t won a comp since way back when whilst clubs with far lesser revenue like the storm dominate

making money is a great bonus for sports clubs but in a salary cap world they can’t spend the extra money

so with the healthy tv deals the game has crowds really are important only to argue over when comparing league and afl

Perth Red

Post Whore
And yet they haven’t won a comp since way back when whilst clubs with far lesser revenue like the storm dominate

making money is a great bonus for sports clubs but in a salary cap world they can’t spend the extra money

so with the healthy tv deals the game has crowds really are important only to argue over when comparing league and afl
Thats because the NRL has artificial systems that stops rich clubs dominating, though Storm and roosters are two of the richest clubs and have done so anyway.

you dont think increasing revenue is important? Which MBA did you do lol. You've still got some clubs relying on up to $5million funding from pokie clubs because they cant earn enough money to survive. But yeh crowds dont matter lol

Wb1234

Referee
Thats because the NRL has artificial systems that stops rich clubs dominating, though Storm and roosters are two of the richest clubs and have done so anyway.

you dont think increasing revenue is important? Which MBA did you do lol. You've still got some clubs relying on up to $5million funding from pokie clubs because they cant earn enough money to survive. But yeh crowds dont matter lol
Not an mba

m.comm unsw

Wb1234

Referee
Not an mba

m.comm unsw

I think afl has more artificial systems for stopping rich clubs from dominating tbh

have a look what wce get from the afl vs gws lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think afl has more artificial systems for stopping rich clubs from dominating tbh

have a look what wce get from the afl vs gws lol
Undoubtedly with a draft, bonuses of all sorts to expansion clubs and varied grant scheme as well as the caps same as nrl.

But none of that matters as we are talking about nrl clubs and your comment that earning more money doesn’t bring guaranteed on field success. The only reason that is the case in the nrl has the two caps in place. Doesn’t mean clubs shouldn’t make as much money as possible though so they can improve all the other off field stuff they could do a lot better, build an asset base to see them through hard times and invest in activities that help them grow their customer base.

Wb1234

Referee
so which model you studied suggested earning more revenue isn’t important?
We learnt communism will fail and capitalism won’t

providing ever more funds to something where the roi is negative is a sure way to go bankrupt

exonomics 101 resources should be allocated to the areas with the highest returns. Afl literally does the opposite of this

Wb1234

Referee
Undoubtedly with a draft, bonuses of all sorts to expansion clubs and varied grant scheme as well as the caps same as nrl.

But none of that matters as we are talking about nrl clubs and your comment that earning more money doesn’t bring guaranteed on field success. The only reason that is the case in the nrl has the two caps in place. Doesn’t mean clubs shouldn’t make as much money as possible though so they can improve all the other off field stuff they could do a lot better, build an asset base to see them through hard times and invest in activities that help them grow their customer base.
Again I’ll go back to basic economics

there is no incentive for clubs to make more money. Especially when they have leagues club which can top up whatever money they need

it is what it is

Perth Red

Post Whore
We learnt communism will fail and capitalism won’t

providing ever more funds to something where the roi is negative is a sure way to go bankrupt

exonomics 101 resources should be allocated to the areas with the highest returns. Afl literally does the opposite of this
why are you taking about afl again, it’s like every conversation with you leads to the afl lol. You were talking about tv revenue v fan and game day generated revenue of nrl clubs and trying claim that fanbase revenue doesn’t matter as the game gets lots of tv money. That’s got sweet fa to do with the afl lol.

if a club gets $15mill tv grant but could get $17-20mill in fanbased revenue isnt that something positve to aim for rather than shrugging the shoulders and saying we can’t actually grow our active customer base And let’s not worry about it because tv pays a lot of money?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Again I’ll go back to basic economics

there is no incentive for clubs to make more money. Especially when they have leagues club which can top up whatever money they need

it is what it is
That’s the dumbest thing you’ve said and that’s saying something lol. With more money clubs can do so much more. for privately owned clubs it’s profit back to the owners, for pokie den clubs it’s money to out into other revenue generating opportunities for future proofing if suckers actually get off the pokie addiction, and for all clubs it allows them to do much more to engage with their communities and attract more customers and sponsors.
Sht who knows they could have even built their own stadiums if they weren’t mostly business basket cases Then Your govt could have used the money to fix the fricking pot holes in Sydney roads, like driving in Bali!

Wb1234

Referee
Yo
why are you taking about afl again, it’s like every conversation with you leads to the afl lol. You were talking about tv revenue v fan and game day generated revenue of nrl clubs and trying claim that fanbase revenue doesn’t matter as the game gets lots of tv money. That’s got sweet fa to do with the afl lol.

if a club gets $15mill tv grant but could get $17-20mill in fanbased revenue isnt that something positve to aim for rather than shrugging the shoulders and saying we can’t actually grow our active customer base And let’s not worry about it because tv pays a lot of money?
You accusing anyone of talking too much about afl is really funny

with a salary cap in place and no incentive to by investing in juniors what would they use the money for ?

Latest posts