What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyrell Sloan

blacksafake

First Grade
The big issue with Sloan is that he is either in the team or not. You can't slot him onto the bench because he only really fits into 2 positions and a bench spot for that is a waste. Amone and Bud are easier to cater for and bring through as bench players (similar to how Griffin described Hunt's intro to first grade). So Sloan needs to perform at fullback or he doesn't make the team. It's unfortunate but it's the reality of the situation.
Well said

Dragon David

First Grade
The big issue with Sloan is that he is either in the team or not. You can't slot him onto the bench because he only really fits into 2 positions and a bench spot for that is a waste. Amone and Bud are easier to cater for and bring through as bench players (similar to how Griffin described Hunt's intro to first grade). So Sloan needs to perform at fullback or he doesn't make the team. It's unfortunate but it's the reality of the situation.
Fair enough True. It is survival of the best in most cases.

Maddragon99

Juniors
This has a Jason Saab feel to it, being held back & resulting discontentment.

-Fullback: Ramsey end ‘24 Sloan end ‘25

-Wing: Mat Feagai end ‘24 Ravalawa end ‘23 Ramsey end ‘24

-Centre: Suli end ‘24 Max Feagai end ‘24 Lomax end ‘26

-5/8: Amone end ‘23

-Halfback: Hunt end 23, Sullivan end ‘25

-Utility: Mbye end ‘23 Sullivan end ‘25 Moga end ‘22

One or two players were always going to miss out there’s simply not enough room for everyone.

Sloan needs to put his big boy pants on & suck it up continue to work on his game then force his way into the team.

For mine the priority is Amone

Rocket Rod

Juniors
As long as he is talking to the kid and letting him know where he is going wrong and encourage him when he does something good ........ Then I'm ok with it .......
I hope it’s BS.
I really hope young Sloan doesn’t end up another Patten.
I agree with you of course but realistically at right where he is now which fullback in the comp would he usurp??
Haa maybe duff 😳

Dragons4me

Juniors
The trouble is that it's only rumour. We will never know the truth and nor does the source of the rumour. They just should go back to reporting on something befitting their competency and intelligence such as MAFS. 🙄🙄

mickeylane

Bench
The trouble is that it's only rumour. We will never know the truth and nor does the source of the rumour. They just should go back to reporting on something befitting their competency and intelligence such as MAFS. 🙄🙄
It’s up to Sloan to come out to dispel the rumour - now a headline story on Foxsports and Nine NRl , Sydney morning herald , so in my opinion theres is legitimacy in the source of the rumour or the story wouldn’t be running nationwide.

Let’s see ..

possm

Coach
If Sloan is willing to work hard on his game there’s no doubt that he’ll be back because he’s too talented not to be.
He comes across as a good young man so I’d like to think he’s not spitting his dummy.
Like Dufty, Sloan has trouble with the high ball and defensive reads. He also does not have the capacity to organize our defensive line. So, in my opinion, he should be moved to five-eight in reserve grade to give him the grounding to be slotted into that position in first grade.

Sloan has good acceleration and a great passing game. I'm not sure about his kicking game and he would have to upgrade his defensive skills.

Dragon David

First Grade
Like Dufty, Sloan has trouble with the high ball and defensive reads. He also does not have the capacity to organize our defensive line. So, in my opinion, he should be moved to five-eight in reserve grade to give him the grounding to be slotted into that position in first grade.

Sloan has good acceleration and a great passing game. I'm not sure about his kicking game and he would have to upgrade his defensive skills.
Wow, there certainly is a lot missing with Sloan's football abilities. Now that you have pin pointed them possm, the Bulldogs should be told.

justadragon

Bench
Like nearly all the members on this forum I also want Sloan to become all he can be and show us that talent that he has, if this happens it will present a problem, what do you do with Ramsey. Heres a kid who didnt complain, just sucked it up went away worked on his game and grabbed the opportunity when it came to him, and made a wonderful showing to boot. So its unlikely Ramsey would be all that excited about losing his spot when Sloan is ready, so where does Sloan go, the wing, who goes Rav or MF, wont fit there , some are mentioning 5/8, really !!! Just when Amone is starting to show some glimpses. All in all there will be a quandary soon, my thoughts are we should start with the deadwood especially in the forwards and see what is available from there.

zombiebloodlust

Juniors
Anyone read the Olsen Filipaina biography, The Big O? One of the main themes of that book was how Olsen's potentially brilliant career was railroaded by rigid, old school coaches who lacked empathy and any kind of cultural sensitivity. Frank Stanton, in particular, f**ked him up royally at Balmain. However a coach with the aforementioned qualities like Graham Lowe managed to get the best out of Big O, and that's how we saw him utterly dominate an Immortal in Wally Lewis at international level. The old school ultra conservative Anthony Griffin 100% sits in the Frank Stanton mould (minus the record of any success I suppose)

Anyway. I look forward to seeing Sloan run out for the Doggies as Luke Patten version 2.0

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Anyone read the Olsen Filipaina biography, The Big O? One of the main themes of that book was how Olsen's potentially brilliant career was railroaded by rigid, old school coaches who lacked empathy and any kind of cultural sensitivity. Frank Stanton, in particular, f**ked him up royally at Balmain. However a coach with the aforementioned qualities like Graham Lowe managed to get the best out of Big O, and that's how we saw him utterly dominate an Immortal in Wally Lewis at international level. The old school ultra conservative Anthony Griffin 100% sits in the Frank Stanton mould (minus the record of any success I suppose)

Anyway. I look forward to seeing Sloan run out for the Doggies as Luke Patten version 2.0
i dont look forward to it but certainly can see the possibility of another Luke Patten....

Dragon David

First Grade

Once the seed has been sewn the speculation grows and gets stronger. If Gould did not have Sloan on his mind then certainly he would be thinking of him now with all the media stuff going around.

"Hello, hello he says, there's this young kid at the Dragons by the name of Tyrell Sloan who has so much talent and potential that most pundits raved about him last year. He just needs a little bit of tweaking and he will be a great one and would fit into the Bulldogs system no trouble at all. Let's get him as he doesn't seem to be happy being in and out of first grade at the Dragons and he will love playing alongside Kikau and Mahoney feeding him the ball to score plenty of tries and him setting up many for Addo-Carr - just like Papenhuzen at the Storm. We'll make him an offer and the Dragons that he and they cannot refuse as he still has a few years of his contract to run. Dufty will be gone and Sloan will take his place. By the way members of the Bulldogs board, we can also do with a gun half back. The Dragons also have one lingering around with little first grade games and he too will be very handy when we get rid of Kyle Flanagan".

If this ever happens, lo and behold the Dragons future of which I will be no part of.

Inisai Toga

Juniors

Interesting line of argument, ZBL, but perhaps also a bit of a straw man line of argument. Plenty of assumptions here; not sure you’ve nailed the similarities and differences just because you’ve categorised them into conservative and culturally understanding. Also, one situation a cameo test match, the others the grind of 26 rounds of NRL….?

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Like nearly all the members on this forum I also want Sloan to become all he can be and show us that talent that he has, if this happens it will present a problem, what do you do with Ramsey. Heres a kid who didnt complain, just sucked it up went away worked on his game and grabbed the opportunity when it came to him, and made a wonderful showing to boot. So its unlikely Ramsey would be all that excited about losing his spot when Sloan is ready, so where does Sloan go, the wing, who goes Rav or MF, wont fit there , some are mentioning 5/8, really !!! Just when Amone is starting to show some glimpses. All in all there will be a quandary soon, my thoughts are we should start with the deadwood especially in the forwards and see what is available from there.
Justa, you have presented a possible future problem. But it's not an uncommon one. Some clubs deal with it successfully - think of the Storm with C.Smith, B.Smith and now Grant. Brandon is leaving after this year but the Storm must have carried 2 of these 3 hookers for maybe 6 years(?) Thurston was a bench player for some time but with hindsight we can now say the Dogs made a mistake when they let him go.

With both Ramsey and Sloan in NSW Cup Cody was put on the wing then with Moga out he played centre. Looked very dangerous in attack but his front on defence was a bit dodgy. Every season injuries play a big part. Once Tyrell is adjudged an NRL fb he could fill in while Cody replaces any one injured in the backline. Another Langlands would be nice! Or like players such as Hynes or Ben Barba he could be a valuable injection from the bench.

But first he needs to polish his skills so next time he plays NRL he is less likely to be dropped.

blacksafake

First Grade

Your last sentence should be enough to think seriously about him playing 5/8

BBTB

Juniors
Justa, you have presented a possible future problem. But it's not an uncommon one. Some clubs deal with it successfully - think of the Storm with C.Smith, B.Smith and now Grant. Brandon is leaving after this year but the Storm must have carried 2 of these 3 hookers for maybe 6 years(?) Thurston was a bench player for some time but with hindsight we can now say the Dogs made a mistake when they let him go.

With both Ramsey and Sloan in NSW Cup Cody was put on the wing then with Moga out he played centre. Looked very dangerous in attack but his front on defence was a bit dodgy. Every season injuries play a big part. Once Tyrell is adjudged an NRL fb he could fill in while Cody replaces any one injured in the backline. Another Langlands would be nice! Or like players such as Hynes or Ben Barba he could be a valuable injection from the bench.

But first he needs to polish his skills so next time he plays NRL he is less likely to be dropped.
Good point. On Ramsey's last game, played like he wanted that fb position. Apparently Sloane hasn't shown much in Reserves. Only young,so has plenty of time to mature.

Latest posts