What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
Would you not be worried about his obviously shady exit from the Warriors, his close connection to known allegedly shifty bastard (now at the Dolphins as recruitment manager), his history of never completing a contract, his manager who has close ties to another player manager who was deregistered in relation to our own salary cap debacle and demonstrably ordinary character? I would. On the field he's not bad but.

Wow that was a hit job piece on Lodge and Kane Evans. It also suggests that he hasn't been paid out for next year at all.

Gee not like Buzz and Kent to get it wrong.

Stevie

Bench
Wayne Bennet and the Dolphin fondness for signing forwards appears to have flared again following reports that the expansion franchise is readying themselves to table out-of-contract Eel Ryan Matterson a rich deal.

While the likes of Felise Kaufusi, Mark Nicholls, Tom Gilbert, Ray Stone and the Bromwich brothers are already on the books of the Redcliffe-based franchise, Bennett's chase for Matterson only seeks to prove that there is still mettle to be added to his pack.

According to reports from News Corp, Matterson flew north to meet with Bennett at Dolphins HQ on Tuesday, checking out the club's digs in Moreton Bay.

Yes, we’ve had a meeting, so we’ll see what happens,” Bennett said.

“We’re very interested in Ryan. He came up here, we’ve had some talks and now we’ll wait and see what happens.”

Given Matterson already holds a working relationship with the Dolphins' recruitment manager, Peter O'Sullivan, after the pair spent time together at the Chooks, Bennett can probably afford himself a rare smile of confidence.

Add in a further familiar link, as well as an impressive pitch, and Parramatta's task of retaining Matterson appears set to be stiff in the eyes of his manager, Chirs Orr.

“Wayne coached Ryan’s uncle Terry Matterson at the Broncos so Ryan has always had great respect for Wayne,” Orr said.

“Ryan has a few things to consider. He is currently in a very professional club at the Eels playing alongside some handy players under a very good coach in Brad Arthur.

“Ryan wanted to meet those involved at Dolphins to better understand the club and to talk football with Wayne as part of his decision-making process.

“We’re waiting on an offer from the Eels before Ryan makes a final call.”

Matterson will have his final chance to put his best foot forward for a debut spot in Brad Fittler's Blues side when the Eels face off against Canberra in the nation's capital on Sunday.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Wow that was a hit job piece on Lodge and Evans. It also suggests that he hasn't been paid out for next year at all.

Gee not like Buzz and Kent to get it wrong.
That article was from before the alleged news broke about the payment. I included it more as a source re his connections and player manager. I'm open minded about his potential value to us on the field. Not sure what he would bring off it though.

TheRam

Coach
Would you not be worried about his obviously shady exit from the Warriors, his close connection to known allegedly shifty bastard (now at the Dolphins as recruitment manager), his history of never completing a contract, his manager who has close ties to another player manager who was deregistered in relation to our own salary cap debacle and demonstrably ordinary character? I would. On the field he's not bad but.

I'm only interested in him doing us a job for the remainder of this season and maybe next. After that I couldn't care less and if he were still here I would assess his value to us at that point and who we have coming through or signed from elsewhere and make a call then. If he were to bail half way through his contract next season, so be it, I want him more for this season.

This season is our peak window for a premiership, I doubt next season we will be a real contender like we are this year, be it the lesser contender out of us, the Panthers and Storm.

Also isn't this exactly what we were all hoping for come this time of the season and having a couple of open spots with a little cash still available to get a quality player or two at a bargain base price? I doubt a better forward will hit the market from now till June 30. Do you?

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
I'm only interested in him doing us a job for the remainder of this season and maybe next. After that I couldn't care less and if he were still here I would assess his value to us at that point and who we have coming through or signed from elsewhere and make a call then. If he were to bail half way through his contract next season, so be it, I want him more for this season.

This season is our peak window for a premiership, I doubt next season we will be a real contender like we are this year, be it the lesser contender out of us, the Panthers and Storm.

Also isn't this exactly what we were all hoping for come this time of the season and having a couple of open spots with a little cash still available to get a quality player or two at a bargain base price? I doubt a better forward will hit the market from now till June 30. Do you?
No, as I said above I'm open to what he could bring on the field. I think he goes ok when he's switched on. It's the off field stuff that worries me.

eels_fan

First Grade
Can’t read that Haas article - surely not Dolphins? They have enough forwards.
I can’t see him going to any Sydney team other than the roosters, but that would point to them losing Angus and moving on someone else significant off their cap.

eels_fan

First Grade
Also wouldn’t sign Lodge if he offered to play for free.
Im all for second chances, but not when you terrorised woman and children threatening to kill them. That’s beyond reproach.

Last edited:

JokerEel

First Grade

Gronk

Staff member
Can’t read that Haas article - surely not Dolphins? They have enough forwards.
I can’t see him going to any Sydney team other than the roosters, but that would point to them losing Angus and moving on someone else significant off their cap.
Maybe we will pick up Angus. 😎

yy_cheng

Coach
I don't think we'll regress at all next year. Next year I reckon we'll field a side similar to this
1. Gutherson
2.Sivo
3.Blake
4.Penisini
5.Simonsson/Russell
6.D.Brown
7.Moses
8.RCG
9.Hodgson
10.Paulo
11.Lane
12.Cartwright
13.Matterson
14.N.Brown
15.Makatoka
16.Rodwell
17.Hopgood
Still a pretty good side, should be competing for the 4. These young guys will add some excitement to our pack. Already looking forward to seeing Hopgood play.
And if we get injuries to the pack say 2 of the starting pack. And if we dont resign matto and also hodgo going down.

Nrown will also probably regress as well