What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
800k is most certainly not overs for kikau. Lets get that straight. Its a bargain really by the dogs.. in this current salary cap the top players in any position will be mins able to command close to a mil..

Same goes for api. 700k is not overs..the tigers got him for a bargain. The cheese signed with the chooks for 800... apis twice the player he is..

Its got nothing to do with being desperate, we offered within our means what we could afford.

But dont confuse that with offering overs lol.. Those two certainly arent on overs next year.. not compared to others.. its not 2017 amd 7mil salary cap anymore.

Id argue they are both about 100k under market value. Just were in an unfortunate position that no other clubs had that kimda coin to push prices up to market value. If more clubs had spare coin at the time theyd have both got 50-100k more and probs their market value.

This video here is pretty good. Uses the figures the NRL gives to clubs

4mins in. They list the top 5 2nd rowers

Fifita $975k
Wade Graham $730k
Kiks $728k
Frizzell $670k
Crichton $525k

Noticeable on there. No one from Storm on that list and Roosters have one at $500k

If the 2 most successful sides of recent time don't pay backrowers anything like that. Why would we?

Smug Panther

First Grade

Fifita $975k
Wade Graham $730k
Kiks $728k
Frizzell $670k
Crichton $525k

Noticeable on there. No one from Storm on that list and Roosters have one at $500k

If the 2 most successful sides of recent time don't pay backrowers anything like that. Why would we?
Only forward in the world worth near a mil is our man Yeo

Girds89

Bench
I can post the 17min video with Matt Cameron if you need me too?

It is from 2019 but he goes in depth
Chuck it up here mate if you can find it. Been a while since ive seen it. Its a good video. Im sure most would like to see it again.

But dont make out its something it isnt..
From memeory its literally a "how to guide for dummies on the nrl salary cap, retention and recruitment".

He doesnt talk specifics in it all all. Doesnt name a single player. Its a very basic guide on how the nrl merry go round works.

Not once does he talk our specific recruitment retention policy.

He never talks about what you alluded to being, "go hard for one guy in a position and fill the squad around that".

At no point in that video does he discuss any actual recruitment and retention.

As i said in my post. Its not the clubs position to come out and talk about recruitement and retention. They just dont do it..they never come out and say we couldnt offer kikau 800 because we have 300 locked away for tago and upgrades for martin and too.

That video is a good video dont get me wrong. I enjoyed watching it at the time but as i said its just a how it works guide for dummies.. most die hard fans wouldve had a solid understanding of most if not all of what cameron covers in that video, regardless to if you were a panther fan or not.

martielang

Bench
I think missing out on both Kiks and Api will hurt us. Kikau is still severely underrated by a few on here. He might not be as explosive as he was but his overall game has improved significantly over the past two seasons.

TBH I think we've likely overstretched for Fish. He's a beast but I personally think Leota can be more of a handful with the ball and his defensive work can be covered by a mid range prop.

Girds89

Bench

Fifita $975k
Wade Graham $730k
Kiks $728k
Frizzell $670k
Crichton $525k

Some nrl sites have critchon on 720k this year so believe what you will. I tend to think the 720 is more accurate hence why the chooks will struggle to keep him and even tho hes well down on form there talk in the media the last week that the tigers will throw 700k a year at him on a large year deal.

You arent comparing apples to apples tho..

The storm have a different structure to the panthers lol. They dont base there attack around their 30yo second rowers who are both past it.

There game is based around there huge middles, being nas, kamikamica, jesse b and obviously welsch when fit to lay a platform. Those 4 are so hard to stop that once they get rolling, grant and cheese and paps come into their own and they create for munster and hughes.

Thats how they structure there game. They pay paps 800k when dylans lucky to be on 500....

So youre not comparing apples to apples. How melbourne plays is different to how the panthers play..they have different attacking weapons to us.

That theory of ohh the chooks and storm dont have any players in the 2nd row over 500k so why should we lol. Glad we havent followed that otherwise kiks wouldve left 3 years ago and we wouldnt of won a comp.

Kiks is a absolutley huge attacking weapon for us whereas kenny brom lol and the has been kafusi are not for the storm and im not suprised bellamy let them go.

Iamback

Coach
Only forward in the world worth near a mil is our man Yeo

He plays better then most 7's on that list.. so works well
I think missing out on both Kiks and Api will hurt us. Kikau is still severely underrated by a few on here. He might not be as explosive as he was but his overall game has improved significantly over the past two seasons.

TBH I think we've likely overstretched for Fish. He's a beast but I personally think Leota can be more of a handful with the ball and his defensive work can be covered by a mid range prop.

Across this winning run. You can count on one hand the amount of times our forwards haven't won the yardage battle.
So I can see why we would pay more than is ideal for Fish

BxTom

Bench
I think that our biggest problem is we are going to have to pay Fullback money to keep Crichton, and he is a Centre for us.
He is a centre that starves his outside man. Staines was not getting much clean ball from Crichton. Now To'o is having the same problem, his metres have dropped off as he has to come back inside. Time to look for a good centre and let Crichton chase the big money elsewhere.

Iamback

Coach
He is a centre that starves his outside man. Staines was not getting much clean ball from Crichton. Now To'o is having the same problem, his metres have dropped off as he has to come back inside. Time to look for a good centre and let Crichton chase the big money elsewhere.

We had the same issue last year. Despite him not playing right centre.

the guys inside is the issue or including Edwards

Girds89

Bench
He plays better then most 7's on that list.. so works well

Across this winning run. You can count on one hand the amount of times our forwards haven't won the yardage battle.
So I can see why we would pay more than is ideal for Fish
Yeo is worth every penny.

Might be contraversial but i tend to think our backs really negate the work of our front rowers.

The backs get on such a role that it makes it easy for our props just to role on with it. Hence why eiso has been so good this year i think.. its easier for more avg props to come into our team and be really good.

Thats not to say i dont love fish..hes a weap.. but i wouldnt pay anymore than 400k for leota. Not when blokes like eiso are on 200 and can and have done a very very good job. I have no doubt hopgood could do the job at prop for us to if he wasnt leaving.

Our backs massivley reduce the workload our props need to do and we just dont really require top shelf props..

Goes back to that video you posted. All the props were on mega money. More than fish... not that he doesnt deserve there money but its all about how clubs use those players for their particular game plan.

Look at andrew fifita. Hes close to top of that list (due to his last contract before he went to shit)... but the reason he was paid so highly is he was a hige attacking weapon for them. He tore the comp apart their for a number of years, was unstoppable at origin level etc..

So contracts and values are all relative and based on how a team use that player..

Kiks on 800 is most definitley not overs. For the out and out best 2nd rower in the game is 50 to 100k under market value.

Not all teams structure their style to need game breaking 2nd rowers. As i described with the storm their attack isnt based around their 2nd rowers at all. Its around their big men and than their big 4 attacking guns.

But for a team that is going to use kiks like we do 800 is a bargain.

BxTom

Bench
We had the same issue last year. Despite him not playing right centre.

the guys inside is the issue or including Edwards
We had Mom who was renowned for not passing to Crichton on the wing. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Girds89

Bench
Nice write up. Interesting lisati didnt get a mention. Guessing penrith ard playing that one close to their chest.

Obviously written before hopgood signed too haha.

Iamback

Coach
We had Mom who was renowned for not passing to Crichton on the wing. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Wasn't even his fault.

Numerous times a game Martin or Edwards have numbers out wide and don't pass it. That limits the work the right can do in attack.

Crichton did 3 big plays in each of semis last year