What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Eelementary

Post Whore
Terrible article, btw:

"Currently earning within the vicinity of $550,000 per season in gold and blue, should the Greenacre product ink on with Bennett and company, this figure is set to fall to around $500,000 per annum for the next three seasons."

What the hell does that mean??

Gibberish.

emjaycee

Coach
Terrible article, btw:

"Currently earning within the vicinity of $550,000 per season in gold and blue, should the Greenacre product ink on with Bennett and company, this figure is set to fall to around $500,000 per annum for the next three seasons."

What the hell does that mean??

Gibberish.
It means Bennett has leaked how much the Dolphins are prepared to pay Matto, so that if we don't match it or better it and he takes the money, everyone knows how much he got and how we must have lowballed him with our offer.

It also help that his 'mates' know how much he is earning so they can pressure him to accept so they get their 10%.

Eelementary

Post Whore
It means Bennett has leaked how much the Dolphins are prepared to pay Matto, so that if we don't match it or better it and he takes the money, everyone knows how much he got and how we must have lowballed him with our offer.

It also help that his 'mates' know how much he is earning so they can pressure him to accept so they get their 10%.

The way what they wrote reads, it suggests that he will take less to go to the Dolphins.

I'd love to keep him - he is class -, but we need to balance our cap.

If Bennett offers him $650,000 a season, and our mak offer is $600,000 then we might be content to see him go.

Avenger

Immortal
He played Flegg with Brendan Hands. Hands was No.7 and Hopgood was lock and captain.

He is lock and captain of their NSW cup team too.

All these Penrith junior signings will give someone like Ciraldo a leg up if we decide to pull up stumps on BA’s tenure in 2 years.

lucablight

First Grade
why did we resign n.brown and cartwright? We should've let brown go to manly and kept either niukore or papa. Papa is only 23 FFS he's only gonna get better.
Brown was ahead in the pecking order with both Niukore and Papali’i at the time. He had just played state of origin months earlier. Papali’i was only a few months into his great form compared to Brown who has demonstrated being one of our most consistent players for years. Cartwright is probably just a depth signing so it’s not like we had to choose between him and Brown or Niukore/Papali’i. Papali’i is going to be a huge loss but the club has chosen not to pay overs for players. It remains to be seen whether that gamble pays off or not.

Avenger

Immortal
Brown was ahead in the pecking order with both Niukore and Papali’i at the time. He had just played state of origin months earlier. Papali’i was only a few months into his great form compared to Brown who has demonstrated being one of our most consistent players for years. Cartwright is probably just a depth signing so it’s not like we had to choose between him and Brown or Niukore/Papali’i. Papali’i is going to be a huge loss but the club has chosen not to pay overs for players. It remains to be seen whether that gamble pays off or not.
That’s the point. I can’t see that $650k is overs for Papali’i. It is for Mahoney but not him. Even my mate that works for the club said it was a massive fail by our club for not retaining him.

lucablight

First Grade
That’s the point. I can’t see that $650k is overs for Papali’i. It is for Mahoney but not him. Even my mate that works for the club said it was a massive fail by our club for not retaining him.

I agree. He is one of the best backrowers in the game at the moment. The club sat back and waited until his value had skyrocketed before opening talks with him. By then it was too late and the Tigers came in with an offer that was too good to refuse. Seems like the club wanted to see whether his form was a just a temporary good run of form or a true breakout. I’m interested in seeing how this retention strategy plays out. If he continues this rich vein of form then we will look very silly for not keeping one of the premier backrowers of the game when lesser players like Fifita are stealing over a mill. I think Matterson is a must re-signing with Papali’i going or we’re going to become a fringe finals side from next season. It’s not looking good though.

eels_fan

First Grade
The way what they wrote reads, it suggests that he will take less to go to the Dolphins.

I'd love to keep him - he is class -, but we need to balance our cap.

If Bennett offers him $650,000 a season, and our mak offer is $600,000 then we might be content to see him go.
I read it as he is on $550k now, but we have offered him a reduced deal to extend, and even the dolphins offer, whilst higher than ours is lower than what he is on now.

my guess would be

eels 2022 - $550k
Eels 2023 - $450k p/season
Dolphins 2023 - $500k p/season

Latest posts