What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

King-Gutho94

Coach
I hope we lose as many players as want too much money. The fact they are getting big deals elsewhere shows we are good at developing players and also that we make them look good. Who was the last player who left our club and went better anywhere else?
Yeah there aren't many in recent times.

Peats and Norman both played origin after leaving. But you could argue they were playing better at Parramatta then when they actually got picked for origin.

Sensei Cobra

Juniors
^^^^
Pretty much this … Definitely prefer he Stay but not at any cost. If he chooses to take more money elsewhere and the club sticks to its guns on what they believe his value is then Im not going to cry.
This approach is working for us …. It definitely sucks to lose quality players but I think the club has kept most of the ones they really wanted to keep and has shown they can find players on the cheap and develop them - certainly forwards anyway

Purely and simply on the fact we are losing Nuikore, Kaufusi, Stone, Mahoney AND Papalii..that's plenty of $$$ there.
Again if it's the same or similar money then it's a no brainer. From all reports the $$$ being offered by the Dolphins is the same or even less than what he's on so it's not like they are blowing us out of the water.
We are losing a truckload of experience. At this stage it just doesn't add up

Well, I'm not sure if there's 'plenty' of money there. There might be, but I'd think it likely that other players (e.g. Moses, RCG, Junior, DBrown, Gutho) are going to cost us more in 2023 than they are in 2022. Hopgood will be on more than Papa has been on this year. It will certainly be interesting to see how everything plays out.

Gronk

Staff member
Yep there is a lot of anger towards us for prioritising our roster around Jnr Reg, Moses, Gutho, Dylan. I too think we dropped that ball re Mahoney, but we don’t know what the Dogs paid for him.

The storm are getting analed as well by the shit clubs paying overs and it seems that it’s ok for them because they have achieved past success. Which is a strawman argument because it doesn’t offer a solution to the fact that you need to build a squad under a salary cap.

If you look at results in the NRL this year, it’s plain to see that our success comes on the back of our 7, 1, 6, 8, 10 and 9 in that order. So the rest of the squad need to be built under that.

The clubs that have picked the eyes out of the Eels and Storm don’t have the fundamentals that we do. Dolphins have signed nobody. Tigers and Dogs have no spine whatsoever. So they overpay in other positions to compensate hoping that success will manifest without a gun half or fullback.

lucablight

First Grade
Yep there is a lot of anger towards us for prioritising our roster around Jnr Reg, Moses, Gutho, Dylan. I too think we dropped that ball re Mahoney, but we don’t know what the Dogs paid for him.

The storm are getting analed as well by the shit clubs paying overs and it seems that it’s ok for them because they have achieved past success. Which is a strawman argument because it doesn’t offer a solution to the fact that you need to build a squad under a salary cap.

If you look at results in the NRL this year, it’s plain to see that our success comes on the back of our 7, 1, 6, 8, 10 and 9 in that order. So the rest of the squad need to be built under that.

The clubs that have picked the eyes out of the Eels and Storm don’t have the fundamentals that we do. Dolphins have signed nobody. Tigers and Dogs have no spine whatsoever. So they overpay in other positions to compensate hoping that success will manifest without a gun half or fullback.
I don’t agree with you about it being a strawman that past success makes it understandable if your team gets ripped apart. If your team has so many players that it can’t keep because of how much they’re worth then you should be doing better than week 2 of the finals. You can’t have it both ways and say the team is so much worse than Penrith and z Melbourne and be content with a 6th place week 2 finish. What is increasing the value of our non original non grand final players to the point we’re not only struggling to improve it but keep it at the same level?

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore

Yes agree. N.Brown was the only guy I felt we should let go at time cause I felt we seen the best of him. Tbf the club only gave him 2yrs.
Marata is good but 550k? Papali'i was probably worth coughing up that sort of money for.

Kafusi for 400k Ouch. Had we signed him I'd be dissapointed. Nothing special.
Bryce was playing very good last season and was happy we jagged him. I'm sure he will get more game time soon and when does maybe hard to keep out.
Mahoney I hear commentary blow their nuts all over his pass game. In 11 games this year has he been MOM? Only one game I had him in or top 3 players. I could be wrong but I just see a solid player in a good side. Not that crafty. I guess we will see the back end of season how he goes. I almost think he is about as good as he will get. 24 now. And that's not saying he isn't good. Just not elite.

The club will go after strong talent in 20s and NSW cup. Guys that paying an xtra 50k to out bid clubs on the low. Your 200k-300k signings.
Not a bad position to be in.

The weak clubs paying overs for stars will struggle to pay overs for those types. The best thing is it takes less overs to get them. An extra 20k to a guy on 150k lands the deal. Guys costing over 500k probably want 50k+ extra to move to a weak club.

strider

Post Whore
3 months ago most people on here didn’t give a shit whether we kept Matterson, now it’s the be all and end all if we lose him, just saying 🤷🏼‍♂️ You always find someone to fill that gap, he is a $$$$$$ man with no loyalty, only to the $, at the end of the day the club nursed him through all his concussions, that should mean something….if he goes he goes proving he is not a Parra man….ta ta Ryan best of luck, enjoy winning f**k all at flipper’s
I think Matto may even have had a dabble on the shit list

Gronk

Staff member
I don’t agree with you about past success making it understandable if your team gets ripped apart. If your team has so many players that it can’t keep because of how much they’re worth then you should be doing better than week 2 of the finals. You can’t have it both ways and say the team is so much worse than Penrith and z Melbourne and be content with a 6th place week 2 finish
It’s a bit cheeky to say that our club is “content” with week 2 semis finishes
It’s also easy to criticise and not offer viable solutions.

So far all I have heard from others is that we should have shopped Gutho to keep Mahoney. I don’t think that many would agree with that based on this years form.

Reed’s best game is his long and accurate passing from the ruck. That is absolutely a plus for our team and allows us to move the ball around. He has a high tackle count, which any number of hookers can achieve. He’s not really a scooter from dummy half and whilst he’s got that long low kick to the sideline, but he only ranks 38th in the NRL kick metres, so he hardly turns matches with them.
What is increasing the value of our non original non grand final players to the point we’re not only struggling to improve it but keep it at the same level?
So you want a clean out ?