What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Payne Haas

Jeremy Dragon

Juniors
The facts as I heard them on the radio (Triple M)) a short while ago....
* Haas is signed until 2024.
* His current contract is for 750k in 2022, 850k in 2023, 950k in 2024.
* Haas is unhappy with this and has still asked for a release.
* Broncos have discussed an extension to 2027 with an adjustment that will see his contract average out at 1mil over the term from now till 2027.
* This negotiation offer was made before his request release.
There is no way Haas will come to the Dragons for anything that isn't over 1.1mil and for a prop, its not worth that much of our cap.
Court documents..Screenshot_20220526-155708_Samsung Internet.jpg

Dragon David

First Grade
* Broncos have discussed an extension to 2027 with an adjustment that will see his contract average out at 1mil over the term from now till 2027.
There is no way Haas will come to the Dragons for anything that isn't over 1.1mil and for a prop, its not worth that much of our cap.
No middle forward is worth more than a million a year in my opinion and in fact not more than $650K . He is just a greedy so and so and to me no-one will touch him. He is on a great wicket now at the Broncos. Who does he think he is? He isn't my idea of a man playing with loyalty the money hungry imposter.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
There may be more than money issues for him to ask for immediate release, particularly if true that Broncos have discussed extending his contract till 2027 at an average of 1 million per year.

Trifili13

Juniors
If contract values going around the press are correct or even close to being correct, then Haas, Vaughan and Sims are all earning very similar money. For me, Haas is the better player and more consistent than the other 2. This just tells me that the bottom teams have to pay more for lesser quality players (or are simply badly managed) although I will grant you that the Broncos have struggled in recent years.

If Haas went to the Rooster's or Storm or one of the other top sides you can almost guarantee it will be for less than $1m while he would want more than $1m to come to someone like the Dragon's or Tigpies, thereby chewing up more salary cap for a lower side. But hey, the NRL is happy with the even playing field that the cap is producing so who are we lesser teams to complain.

A bottom side has to either bend their salary cap out of whack and hope that player gives value for money and attracts others or you get a crop of guns that come through at the same time and wish to stick together like Penrith and hopefully us. Otherwise you just go round in circles and when you produce a good player they get poached by the better teams as they can't leave the place quick enough.

BBTB

Juniors
There may be more than money issues for him to ask for immediate release, particularly if true that Broncos have discussed extending his contract till 2027 at an average of 1 million per year.
If we could get Haas that would be a fantastic acquisition. So Sims + Woods = Haas. Sounds good to me.

justadragon

Bench
if the broncos cave in and release him it will set a really bad example across the board, especially to our young fellas who might be struggling with selections at present, if a player is released mutually with consent from the club then im happy with that. i still remember the dragons stuck firm with Tallis, regardless that he refused to play another games for the dragons, just shows the character of the person, much like Haas.

possm

Coach
If contract values going around the press are correct or even close to being correct, then Haas, Vaughan and Sims are all earning very similar money. For me, Haas is the better player and more consistent than the other 2. This just tells me that the bottom teams have to pay more for lesser quality players (or are simply badly managed) although I will grant you that the Broncos have struggled in recent years.

If Haas went to the Rooster's or Storm or one of the other top sides you can almost guarantee it will be for less than $1m while he would want more than $1m to come to someone like the Dragon's or Tigpies, thereby chewing up more salary cap for a lower side. But hey, the NRL is happy with the even playing field that the cap is producing so who are we lesser teams to complain.

A bottom side has to either bend their salary cap out of whack and hope that player gives value for money and attracts others or you get a crop of guns that come through at the same time and wish to stick together like Penrith and hopefully us. Otherwise you just go round in circles and when you produce a good player they get poached by the better teams as they can't leave the place quick enough.
If Hunt moved to 9, we would have a salary cap advantage when it comes to the rest of the spine. We should use this to our advantage because it won't be like that long term. So, this is jour window to recruit two marquee forwards in Haas and Fifita.

Our forwards are our weakest link however, if we recruited Haas and Fifita, and also moved De Belin to prop, we would have a forward pack that could very easily carry Amone at 13.

In my opinion, our best line-up would be:
1. Ramsey
2. Feagai
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa

6. Sloan
7. Sullivan

8. F Molo
9. Hunt

10. Haas
11. Fifita

12. Su'A
13. Amone

14. Mbye
15. De Belin
16. M Molo
17. Mcquire

Head Coach Flannigan
Assistant Barrett

This Year?

Immortal
Payne Haas is a fantastic player. Huge minutes, huge involvement, huge effort for his position and he is nowhere near his prime for his position. He's on similar coin to an edge who is lucky to get 40 minutes, 3 runs a game, 1 of which would be over a winger and a centre for a try and is pretty much invisible for the rest of the time he is on the field.
I'd love to have Haas in the Red V, but we aren't the club who would:
1. Use him the right way and take full advantage of his skillset.
2. Be able to use 3rd party money to entice him
3. Develop him into an International.

possm

Coach
Payne Haas is a fantastic player. Huge minutes, huge involvement, huge effort for his position and he is nowhere near his prime for his position. He's on similar coin to an edge who is lucky to get 40 minutes, 3 runs a game, 1 of which would be over a winger and a centre for a try and is pretty much invisible for the rest of the time he is on the field.
I agree with all you said in your post however, we must put in place people who can get the best out of potential match-winners like Haas and Fifita. Bring in Flannigan with Barrett as one of his assistants and you will see a much more professional big Red V each week.

We have the nucleus of a good team. All we need to do now is hire a top grad coaching staff and a few marquee players in key positions.

justadragon

Bench
i do understand what you are saying, but a contract was signed and agreed to by all parties, you signed it you wear it, not threaten to leave .thats why you have player managers to look after your interest, if things get cocked up take it out of their commission.

BLM01

First Grade
good on the crowd at suncorp for booing haas, i think they are letting him know exactly what he is worth, no player is above the club or the game, he must feel embarrassed that his own crowd is booing him, and please dont tell me all this crap hasnt affected his team mates
All this crap has not affected his team mates

thebigredv

First Grade
Not sure what the exact figures Haas reportedly wants but when it all boils down, he is one player who has proven that he worth more than your average forward. Not halves money by any stretch but worth a pretty penny. If he is available, and it appears he is, I'm happy to pay overs for a player who can carry a team when nothing else is working. I'm talking Corey Norman or Jack Debelin money.

It's come to a point we have to move on these big time players.

Walpole

Juniors
If Hunt moved to 9, we would have a salary cap advantage when it comes to the rest of the spine. We should use this to our advantage because it won't be like that long term. So, this is jour window to recruit two marquee forwards in Haas and Fifita.

Our forwards are our weakest link however, if we recruited Haas and Fifita, and also moved De Belin to prop, we would have a forward pack that could very easily carry Amone at 13.

In my opinion, our best line-up would be:
1. Ramsey
2. Feagai
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa

6. Sloan
7. Sullivan

8. F Molo
9. Hunt

10. Haas
11. Fifita

12. Su'A
13. Amone

14. Mbye
15. De Belin
16. M Molo
17. Mcquire

Head Coach Flannigan
Assistant Barrett
Love how you've also slipped in a new coach and assistant. Relentless!