What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to the comp, Redcliffe.

Pippen94

First Grade
1. Because it was an illogical point. Why are you arguing for more and more sides in the same area or areas because it rates well in one metro market but goes poorly in every other metro market? It doesn’t make sense.

The goal should be to rate as well as you can in every metro market

2. Who cares? If you are using this as your only yardstick (why I don’t know) why would you use a yardstick that shows your competitor smashing you. If you use a comparison across both PayTV and FTA, it might actually help your argument somewhat (that League is a popular TV sport for example). It might also disprove some of your other arguments though.

3. We’ve finally got it. Any increase in TV rights is going to come from subscription not from FTA for a variety of reasons. Hence, it is better for our sport to focus on subscription, as that will more likely determine where new markets will be going etc because that is where any increase in money is coming from.

Ppl only watch NRL in Sydney & Brisbane. Swans & storm did about 50k in respective markets this week. No Sydney teams in prime time matches will actually reduce ratings but....!!?

FTA brings exposure & increasing rights fees. Nrl still top rated show & will get paid.

Colk

First Grade
All ratings are trending down that's why value is going up.

Ratings aren't poor if ur winning ur timeslot & will dominate the top ten broadcasts for year again after sos & grand final.

Pay TV has limited exposure & hurt rugby here & cricket in England. Makes sense the ppl proposing superleague 2.0 are talking up pay TV because they never learn

1. Have you heard of the intersection point in maths? Eventually you get to the point where things have what they call a ‘perfect value’ Therefore, you will get to the point wherein the FTA markets won’t pay any more because their ratings show that it is just not worth it. Based on the last few TV deals, we are slowly reaching that point - in fact did Channel Nine pay any more for these upcoming rights than they did the current one? If they did, it wasn’t in any way substantial. The only way they would substantially increase now is if they are going to pay for more content which they have shown no desire for.

2. Again, how is being 200k less than your main competitor a good result? I think this is a stupid comparison because it completely doesn’t factor in any nuanced aspects but this is the reason why Channel 7 pay more for AFL than Channel Nine does for League - it rates better nationally. League makes up some of this difference on PayTV because of how their deals were struck - there is an argument that PayTV pay us too little and AFL too much considering this difference but there is clear evidence that League rates substantially better on PayTV than AFL.

3. I never once suggested that we take the game off FTA so stop using a straw man argument. All I’m suggesting is that FTA ratings are a less valuable metric than what you suggest, particularly with regards to our sport and particularly against others and that any increase in TV rights is not going to come from FTA but from PayTV

Colk

First Grade
Ppl only watch NRL in Sydney & Brisbane. Swans & storm did about 50k in respective markets this week. No Sydney teams in prime time matches will actually reduce ratings but....!!?

FTA brings exposure & increasing rights fees. Nrl still top rated show & will get paid.

Absolute garbage statement backed up with no evidence. Again you are conflating FTA figures with total viewing audience which is ridiculous

Again, FTA is not where any increase in going to come from. PayTV is the more lucrative market particularly for League.

AwFuL benefits from having all games involving the non-Victorians teams broadcast live and free into their home market on 7mate. It's been this way for almost two decades. There would be plenty of casual fans who've never subscribed to Foxtel because they've gotten to see their team play live and free every week for a generation. This might lead to them also tuning in to watch some games not involving their favourite club.

I don't think it would drive ratings for Ch9 if the NRL put this stipulation into the next deal. People who care about the game were given no choice but to subscribe Foxtel to see their team play every week. If you've got Foxtel you're not going to go back to Ch9.

Colk

First Grade
AwFuL benefits from having all games involving the non-Victorians teams broadcast live and free into their home market on 7mate. It's been this way for almost two decades. There would be plenty of casual fans who've never subscribed to Foxtel because they've gotten to see their team play live and free every week for a generation. This might lead to them also tuning in to watch some games not involving their favourite club.

I don't think it would drive ratings for Ch9 if the NRL put this stipulation into the next deal. People who care about the game were given no choice but to subscribe Foxtel to see their team play every week. If you've got Foxtel you're not going to go back to Ch9.

Good summary GROTD. Exactly my point.

Pippen94

First Grade

Looking at ratings not many in Sydney

Pippen94

First Grade
Absolute garbage statement backed up with no evidence. Again you are conflating FTA figures with total viewing audience which is ridiculous

Again, FTA is not where any increase in going to come from. PayTV is the more lucrative market particularly for League.

Haha. Hiding behind fox & kayo numbers. Interesting Melbourne, Perth numbers always low for fta but ur expecting they are part of rise of kayo. NSW & qld went from FTA to pay, but Melbourne & Perth straight to pay despite nrl having no profile there. Fairy tale

Colk

First Grade
Haha. Hiding behind fox & kayo numbers. Interesting Melbourne, Perth numbers always low for fta but ur expecting they are part of rise of kayo. NSW & qld went from FTA to pay, but Melbourne & Perth straight to pay despite nrl having no profile there. Fairy tale

As I thought you have no evidence for any of your views. Can’t say I’m surprised.

Pippen94

First Grade
As I thought you have no evidence for any of your views. Can’t say I’m surprised.

Don't slip into troll mode like @perthred. Nobody has figures for fox & kayo, but given exodus is from FTA, there weren't many Melbourne & Perth viewers before.

If you're a rusted-on rugby league fan living in a rusted-on fumbleball city then chances are you have Foxtel or Kayo. There's plenty of New South Welshmen and Queenslanders living in Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth.

Pippen94

First Grade
If you're a rusted-on rugby league fan living in a rusted-on fumbleball city then chances are you have Foxtel or Kayo. There's plenty of New South Welshmen and Queenslanders living in Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth.

FTA numbers have dropped as kayo rises. Would suggest vast majority are from NSW & qld coz there wasn't many Perth & Melbourne viewers before.

Colk

First Grade

Don't slip into troll mode like @perthred. Nobody has figures for fox & kayo, but given exodus is from FTA, there weren't many Melbourne & Perth viewers before.

It is not troll mode but just understanding that society has shifted dramarically. People don’t live and die in the same area anymore, they go to where there are greater career and lifestyle opportunities.

Now take and look at interstate migration numbers for the past ten years. Now are you assuming that the people who have moved from nominal league states to a nominal AFL states( and there would obviously be some) that none of them follow the game? Or that they trade in league for AFL when they move? The simplest assumption would be that they still follow the game but like any league fan with half a brain and the disposable income to match they would stream the games rather than put up with the crap coverage Channel Nine give

Perth Red

Post Whore
I
Th

This is an excellent point

when they’ve studied this figure it’s shown that around 65 percent of all sports marketing was spent in rugby league areas. Obviously Sydney was way out in front
really? Got a link? Considering 66% of tv advertising is spent in metro markets, 16.5% bvod which isn’t split and 16.5% regional I don’t see how two cities plus nsw and qlnd regional would get it to 65% of total spend?

Perth Red

Post Whore
All ratings are trending down that's why value is going up.

Ratings aren't poor if ur winning ur timeslot & will dominate the top ten broadcasts for year again after sos & grand final.

Pay TV has limited exposure & hurt rugby here & cricket in England. Makes sense the ppl proposing superleague 2.0 are talking up pay TV because they never learn
Ptv/streaming subscriptions are significantly going up.

Perth Red

Post Whore

150k viewers a week X 26 rounds is not an insignificant amount of viewers Each season. But again you totally ignore how many of the 2million subscribers of ptv and kayo are rl fans in those cities. We dont know so can’t say. When you look at how low nrl fta metro numbers are compared to afls I think it’s fair to say that Rl fans across the country are migrating in big numbers to kayo.

Pippen94

First Grade
I

really? Got a link? Considering 66% of tv advertising is spent in metro markets, 16.5% bvod which isn’t split and 16.5% regional I don’t see how two cities plus nsw and qlnd regional would get it to 65% of total spend?

Market with most ppl & most money. Of course it's right

Wb1234

Referee
I

Why do you always ask for links for things that make afl look bad. And then when the links are provided totally ignore them

Sydney is the richest city of course advertising their is going to cost the most

there’s a link floating around here somewhere

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why do you always ask for links for things that make afl look bad. And then when the links are provided totally ignore them

Sydney is the richest city of course advertising their is going to cost the most

there’s a link floating around here somewhere
Usually if you’re going to make a claim then some evidence to back it up gives it credibility , especially if you’re pushing an agenda.,

heres radio advertising spend split by state for last qtr of 20 which shows the split is nothing like you are claiming. Maybe tv is totally different? I still haven’t found the report you are mentioning.

South Australia $16.121 million
Western Australian $22.337 million
Victoria, $51.694 million
New South Wales $50.896 million and
Queensland $27.477 million.

Last edited:

Latest posts