What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 12 vs Cowboys.

Iamback

Coach
90% of games for me

I start out. Game drags on and I change the channel and watch something else

Last week the late Friday game started while the Tigers and Dogs was still going.

Pretty sad when you can't fit an 80 min game into a 120min time slot

age.s

First Grade
One moment I enjoyed was May slamming the ball down after dropping it at 22-0 with a few minutes to go. Game was completely sewn up and the error was functionally irrelevant but he still expected better from himself. It's a good example of a winning culture rubbing off on a young kid. He's hungry and I love it.

WestyLife

First Grade
Dogs, warriors and dragons are tough to get through some days but that's due to how they play not the meta of the game.

WestyLife

First Grade
Those sides can't tackle. So it should be more exciting yet here we are

I get annoyed when they make constant errors or can't execute basic football skills you'd expect of a team in the most elite comp in the sport, like a draw and pass.

Iamback

Coach
I get annoyed when they make constant errors or can't execute basic football skills you'd expect of a team in the most elite comp in the sport, like a draw and pass.

Those games seem to be the ones that drag out time wise too

hindy111

Post Whore
2010's sucked with all the wrestle

I reckon 90s and early 2000s footy was better. Teams had less regard for defense and more on attack. They'd throw the ball around more. And you still could have fast talented small wingers. Nowdays they are out of the game. Its all about high completions, a big bomb on the last and 100kg plus players.
Fast play the balls and slowing the other sides down is how you win now.

Things like a little grubber or chip and chase are gone. Halfbacks now are more like robots and little clones of each other.

Munky

Coach
I reckon 90s and early 2000s footy was better. Teams had less regard for defense and more on attack. They'd throw the ball around more. And you still could have fast talented small wingers. Nowdays they are out of the game. Its all about high completions, a big bomb on the last and 100kg plus players.

Things like a little grubber or chip and chase are gone. Halfbacks now are more like robots and little clones of each other.

Agree with most of this.

A side can carry one undersized player as part of the back three these days and pretty much nowhere else.

If two of the back three are not able to make metres starting your sets you've already lost the game. Those sides won't make it out of their 40m against us and other good defensive teams.

Melbourne kind of got around this with JAC and Paps but they were top 3 in their positions when playing together, plus Olam would make his way back for a charge each set.

The_Frog

First Grade

Every so often a coach comes along who emphasises defence. Warren Ryan was one such coach, Gus followed him to some degree, Jack Gibson and Bennett also depending on the sides they had and now we've got Ivan Cleary. These coaches would rather concede 0 than score 60, and they've all won premierships that could be attributed to defence.

Kilkenny

Coach
I thought Yeo might have polled at least a point in the Dally M’s against the Cowboys but unfortunately missed out all together. The polling now secret with Ben Hunt having taken the lead from Yeo.

As you would expect the majority of the current top 10 will figure in all three origin games so will miss club games.

If we perform well in the absence of our origin players there is an opportunity for Dylan to move up the ladder further .

Last edited:

WestyLife

First Grade

We have seen a bunch of chip and chase tries this year to be fair.

WestyLife

First Grade
Probably more this year alone than in previous couple of seasons.

I seem to recall Mitchell Moses doing one last season against us, but maybe it was in the pre season trial.

Slowly catching on. Fullbacks stand in attack line and finally halves are sorting it out
Structures are still important but halves are being able to let loose a little, maybe sue to the set restart rule.

Iamback

Coach
Structures are still important but halves are being able to let loose a little, maybe sue to the set restart rule.

Christan Welsch on the other day said. It is almost impossible to score when attacking the line.

Teams have to think outside the box