What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

SAP58

Juniors
With the resigning of Jaiyden Hunt until 2024 I thought there might be some more activity in coming weeks. Hook mentioned this saying they would be looking at the squad and potential signings over the next month.

Dragon David

First Grade
With the resigning of Jaiyden Hunt until 2024 I thought there might be some more activity in coming weeks. Hook mentioned this saying they would be looking at the squad and potential signings over the next month.
Successful clubs are always looking at the roster and not waiting until round 13 - 17 to work on signings, just saying..........
It certainly is puzzling why the Dragons are dragging out any new signings for the next few years starting 2023. Is the club just going to get rid of a few, upgrade several others and keep the established ones? I'm buggered as to why nothing seems to be happening at the club in the way of this thread.

Rod Coil

Juniors
Successful clubs are always looking at the roster and not waiting until round 13 - 17 to work on signings, just saying..........
I agree. Many other team signed players for 2023 weeks & months ago, yet we are apparently only just thinking about it in the next few weeks. Doesn’t make sense to me. Re-signings are completely different to new signings. Does anyone know what Millard does these days?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Would be interesting to see who we could be targeting / what positions we are looking at strengthing

as of now we have 6 players off contact in
- Poasa Fa’amusili
- Billy Burns
- Jackson Ford
- Jack Gosiewski
- Josh McGuire
- Tautau Moga

My guess, and only a guess of those 6 would be:

- Poasa Fa'amusili - gone
- Billy Burns - probably re-sign
- Jackson Ford - gone
- Jack Gosiewski - probably re-sign (depth)
- Josh Maguire - look to re-sign at greatly reduced $$
- Tatau Moga - probably re-sign (depth)

Today's re-signing of J. Hunt is an offset to letting go Alvaro
Josh Coric could be the one to take Fa'amusili's place

Maguire would be a useful forward utility, along side Fuimaono and Goseiwski. I think Bire will transition to lock with JDB joining the prop rotation. Without hunting for an edge forward, Burns is a candidate to fill Bird's current spot.

We still need another hooker, as I think young CM is an apprentice is training so to speak.

Yow

Juniors
My guess, and only a guess of those 6 would be:

- Poasa Fa'amusili - gone
- Billy Burns - probably re-sign
- Jackson Ford - gone
- Jack Gosiewski - probably re-sign (depth)
- Josh Maguire - look to re-sign at greatly reduced $$
- Tatau Moga - probably re-sign (depth)

Today's re-signing of J. Hunt is an offset to letting go Alvaro
Josh Coric could be the one to take Fa'amusili's place

Maguire would be a useful forward utility, along side Fuimaono and Goseiwski. I think Bire will transition to lock with JDB joining the prop rotation. Without hunting for an edge forward, Burns is a candidate to fill Bird's current spot.

We still need another hooker, as I think young CM is an apprentice is training so to speak.
With very little football over the last few years with covid it taken a while for our lower grades to get going i think the clubs approach see which ones are developing and get rid the ones that are not.Last week we won all 3 grades a couple of weeks ago we did the same the club is moving forward but that might be my 1 red eye and 1 white eye.

qld redvee

Juniors
You would hope that Flanno is out there doing his job and earmarking / signing players to enhance the top 30 moving forward ( well thats his brief anyway ) I just wish we could buy say half decent bargain buys for reserves / replacements like bennett does - I read that he got marshall king for 200 thou a year ... as a backup he would be okay for that amount .. we seem to pay overs for even washed up guys
and does the club really want to take up woods option for next year ?? lets hope not

Reactions: jak

slippery5

Juniors
You would hope that Flanno is out there doing his job and earmarking / signing players to enhance the top 30 moving forward ( well thats his brief anyway ) I just wish we could buy say half decent bargain buys for reserves / replacements like bennett does - I read that he got marshall king for 200 thou a year ... as a backup he would be okay for that amount .. we seem to pay overs for even washed up guys
and does the club really want to take up woods option for next year ?? lets hope not
Depends on if he is recruiting for the Dragons or Tigers....

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Flanno is too busy show boating on Fox Sports commentary and sniffing around any NRL club with a coach under pressure, doubt he sees his role at our club as anything other than an easy pay cheque.

It was a dumb move from management to give him the job in the first place.

Last edited:

stgeorge1

Juniors
No one k owe what he signed fo

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
It's taken the arrival of the cashed up, resource rich Dolphins with Wayne at the helm and the problems they're having in filling their 2023 roster to expose what we all deep down probably already knew. There aren't enough NRL quality players, particularly forwards, to fill 17 teams. I almost laughed when I heard that Melbourne were going to sign Tariq Sims- but then I realised that we don't have a damaging edge forward in the club either (hoping Burns will become one eventually).

Dragon David

First Grade
It's taken the arrival of the cashed up, resource rich Dolphins with Wayne at the helm and the problems they're having in filling their 2023 roster to expose what we all deep down probably already knew. There aren't enough NRL quality players, particularly forwards, to fill 17 teams. I almost laughed when I heard that Melbourne were going to sign Tariq Sims- but then I realised that we don't have a damaging edge forward in the club either (hoping Burns will become one eventually).
With maybe only a couple of decent guys being available on the market, there ain't that much quality going around and as you say redandwhite4evr, even Mr Bennett with all the moolah at his beck and call ain't getting much. When Bennett takes the "cream" others end up with the dregs.

I think Flanno is all about more the retention of the young ones and getting them signed up for the future 'cause who else is there? We are not a club that players are dying to join and play for not like decades ago and basically it is as it is and what we have that will be the basis for a while longer I would imagine.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
With maybe only a couple of decent guys being available on the market, there ain't that much quality going around and as you say redandwhite4evr, even Mr Bennett with all the moolah at his beck and call ain't getting much. When Bennett takes the "cream" others end up with the dregs.

I think Flanno is all about more the retention of the young ones and getting them signed up for the future 'cause who else is there? We are not a club that players are dying to join and play for not like decades ago and basically it is as it is and what we have that will be the basis for a while longer I would imagine.
I think the ‘well’ has been pretty dry for quite a while DD! I believe Su’a, Moses Suli and the Molo brothers were really strong signings for our club on what was available. Others will point to other signings but they were always scaffolding pieces whilst the young guys develop. Agree with the post of not enough quality first graders as the gap between the lower grades is quite big, too many teams in the comp (Warriors) and no lower grades during Covid….. Another Su’a or two would compliment our side just nicely.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
I think the ‘well’ has been pretty dry for quite a while DD! I believe Su’a, Moses Suli and the Molo brothers were really strong signings for our club on what was available. Others will point to other signings but they were always scaffolding pieces whilst the young guys develop. Agree with the post of not enough quality first graders as the gap between the lower grades is quite big, too many teams in the comp (Warriors) and no lower grades during Covid….. Another Su’a or two would compliment our side just nicely.
Yes, thanks for responding Inisai. Your thoughts and comments are how many of us here would be seeing things now I imagine. Having the 17th team come in for 2023 will ensure that many gun juniors in our region get first chews on the cherries we might have available for the next few years. Which, I hope, will be a good thing.for our club and the fans.

BIG RIG

Juniors
After watching the game tonight - I am at a lost in regards to not only the rest of 2022 but also 2023

As of now we have had both Tariq Sims and soon to be Josh McGuire leaving the club both IMO won’t be to big of a loss

but we have some serious deadweight at the club

George Burgess will never get back to any type of first grade form

Aaron Woods is one foot into retirement

Andrew McCullough is one foot into retirement

Zac Lomax is in absolute career worst form and seems to be developing an ego/attitude that is very off putting

Amone has not shown me IMO anything too special to be starting 5/8

Sloan has his problems but can be developed

Blake Lawrie and I cannot stress this enough should never be in the team again , the bloke is lazy , and struggles with the ongoing quickness of the game and is a walking penalty/six again

Moses Mbye just doesn’t have it

But the scary thing is that we don’t seem to have any logical answers to fix these problems in the squad

We are linked to no body and seem to have no answers

With the likes of Fa’amusili , Ford , Moga and Gosiewski off contract I would say the Moga and Gosiewski will be the only ones to get retained

Bright Spots IMO for 2023 include obviously Ben Hunt , Francis Molo , Su’a and Suli

Ramsey also looks good at FB

qld redvee

Juniors
listening to triple m up here today and david riccio stated that we havent got a lot in the cap to attract players
he mentioned suli bird and lomax all on 500 thou a year and then add hunts in and that about 2.5 millionish of the cap. so 4 guys for 25% of the cap .. Guys Im afraid we will keep getting bargain priced players until we get our juniors coming thru so we can get the odd marquee player or 2 . As many have mentioned we need to duplicate penrith so we have a continual source of players coming through ( with same quality ) to replace those that go for a higher wage . Until then we will have to keep filling the gaps with "potential " that other teams let go ( for a reason) ie jetski woods .. and remember those gems from yesteryear beale and maranta ... So we need to heavily invest in the juniors and ensure that flanno or whoever are earning their salaries by getting the right players