What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 vs Cowboys

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I think you are harsh on Rueben. I thought he played pretty good tonight.
You are never going to out run cross field runners.
That Moga break where Zac kicked selfishly for himself Rueben was clear backing up on the inside had the kick gone in field
Not saying he is the fastest but better than others except for Cody who can be quick but takes a bit too long to get balanced and wind up ATM
A sprint coach can work on his running style which would help his game
Reuben was definitively having a go. Highlight was the intercept. There was something like 7 or 8 cover defenders, he was wise to step infield.

Plus Reuben was very impressive in the Charity Shield so I was happy to see him get a run in first grade.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I agree it wasnt a great pass, but i watched the winger stop there like he'd never seen one before, and then watched as the cowboys ran away to score. Also he was way up on Lomax. I just think these guys should know what Lomax does and be on the lookout for it. I remember so many years ago watching Mark Gasnier do it many times and our wingers being aware and ready for it. Its a great weapon but it requires wingers to be on the lookout for it.
The winger wasn’t ready for it because he didn’t expect a first grade player would attempt to throw a miracle flick pass 20 metres from his own line and 5 metres in from touch. Lomax is trash

justadragon

Bench
I didnt post anything last night because I was fuming, I have settled down now to read other forum members comments. To say I was disappointed is an understatement, but I was disappointed before the game even started. That game was perfectly set up for Sullivan to be 7 and Hunt rested, instead we got rolled badly and the COWS weren't even at full strength. So what did we achieve yesterday by backing Hunt up, nothing, at least we could have found something out about Sullivan, yeah we may have still lost but we could have seen something to give us some hope in the future. One of the poorest selection decisions of the season was made by Hook yesterday. Its disgraceful.

Smacka

Juniors
NOTB - spot on.
The Ref dictated terms for the Cowboys 12-0 lead , after 20 minutes we were done yet Fox stats said we had 44% of the ball ! Catch-up & fatigue play their part in the remainder of the match. Lomax tried to win the game on his own (to make up for his myriad of mistakes) , Bird is a shadow of the Player he was in younger days. Ramsay , Reuben , Suli (further comment later) , Hunt , De Belin , Sua all had a go. Amone we need to persevere with.
Each week our Opponents defence 2 wide each side of the ruck break early (seemingly undetected by Officials) and corridor our slow-moving , shallow attack through the centrefield. It's easy to defend , not tiring for them & lets them get numbers in the tackle to smother the ball. It's the Storm style & others have adopted it. (Take a look at Munster & CO. any week , even in Origin). We are not smart enough to counter this - the only time it changes is when JDB stands wide & shallow as first receiver & ball plays which creates some opportunity. Wally Lewis he isn't but at least he tries. Our attack is too shallow because we are slow so we play flat to compensate : again , easy to defend. No-one has the temerity to chip over the top of fast-moving defences because again we are too slow to take advantage (Hunt tried 1 near the end last night & it was ordinary). We have no element of surprise or sharpness in attack. It is all mundane.
Our defence is disorganised - there is no Leader. JDB mops up loads of errors , Lomax is strong & needs to be shifted (more below).
I've been patient with Hook but the time has come. The Season is a throwaway so :-
1. Sloan fullback
2. Ramsay & Ravalawa wingers
3. Feagais (that's both) & Suli (further comment to come) to rotate in the centres
4. Sullivan five eighth
5. Hunt half
6. Lomax lock (see below)
7. Sua & De Belin 2nd row
8. Molos (both) , J. Hunt rotate Front Row
9. Muhleihsen hooker.
10. McCullough , MBye , Bird , Amone interchange.
Suli - is playing on the wrong side , always steps off his left foot infield & struggles to pass left. Change him.
Lomax - tall , rangy , strong - play him in the middle around the ruck in defense with a free rein in attack.
Just a few thoughts.

Last edited:

since77

Juniors
We have a team that is slow and just plain dumb. Reuben makes for a great feel good story but we’re the only team who would hand a 29 year old journeyman a debut.
The defence is woeful. The attack is insipid. Last tackle options still hilariously bad. Discipline is terrible.
After half a season of watching the same tripe every week, I can only blame the coach. Poor coaching. Poor team selections. Poor assistant coaches.
Of course Griffin will continue to be conservative while we are “mathematically” still in contention for finals. But let’s face it, this team is a joke.
It’s time to change everything. Bring the young brigade in for the rest of the season and get rid of the dead wood. Give me a team that I want to watch past the half time whistle.

Draginzaaar

Bench
It's hard for me to be too critical of the team tonight on account of the way that flog of a referee cruelled us in the first half with endless repeat sets and soft penalties. He was quick to disallow tries to Ramsey and Suli (incorrectly, on both counts) but neither he nor the bunker even looked at the Hiku try, when he was a yard in front of the kicker.
Four things stood out for me tonight - Lawrie, Mbye, Bird & Lomax. They were all utter shite. Hopefully Lawrie and Bird cop suspensions and we're spared the same rubbish from them next week. Lomax needs a spell in KoE to get his head together, cos he's all over the shop. As for Mbye, I wouldn't pick him for a backyard game of touch footy.
The Bunker looks at all tries, then confirms or tells the ref there is a problem.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
mick ennis just summed it up on fox ... why have mcullough warming the bench for 50 minutes and bring him on when games gone , and start the game at hooker with mbye who is a utility player .... thats what we have been saying on here ... Also moose only getting the first 23 minutes and not sighted what goes with that . I just cant believe the absolute rubbish dished up tonight and i thought we were an outside chance of winning .................
Hilariously funny that he was Hooks "impact" player to come on from the bench. I was working but after seeing the replay today, what is the deal with that ranga ref? He couldn't wait to call out held as quick as possible and give them pens and 6 agains. The one where Hiku went over touch was pathetic, momentum never stopped at all. I can't stand the ref bias these days that just adds to how crap Saints are.

Dragon David

First Grade
To say I'm disappointed with tonight's effort would be an huge understatement. To even think we would be competitive to a point of actually winning the game, with some ease I may add, was an obvious and rather embarrassing form of wishful thinking.

After watching the game and the presser and the general body language of the players, something isn't right within the team. Factions forming maybe, or is it just contract complacency creeping into the psyche of some players?
I'm disappointed in us re-signing Bird. Somehow, he has just become a dud to me.

Illusion

Bench
I didnt post anything last night because I was fuming, I have settled down now to read other forum members comments. To say I was disappointed is an understatement, but I was disappointed before the game even started. That game was perfectly set up for Sullivan to be 7 and Hunt rested, instead we got rolled badly and the COWS weren't even at full strength. So what did we achieve yesterday by backing Hunt up, nothing, at least we could have found something out about Sullivan, yeah we may have still lost but we could have seen something to give us some hope in the future. One of the poorest selection decisions of the season was made by Hook yesterday. Its disgraceful.
The only place Hook could get a job would be on the new Jurassic Park cast , he would fit right in there "Dinosaur"

Kolum Kid

Juniors
We have a team that is slow and just plain dumb. Reuben makes for a great feel good story but we’re the only team who would hand a 29 year old journeyman a debut.
The defence is woeful. The attack is insipid. Last tackle options still hilariously bad. Discipline is terrible.
After half a season of watching the same tripe every week, I can only blame the coach. Poor coaching. Poor team selections. Poor assistant coaches.
Of course Griffin will continue to be conservative while we are “mathematically” still in contention for finals. But let’s face it, this team is a joke.
It’s time to change everything. Bring the young brigade in for the rest of the season and get rid of the dead wood. Give me a team that I want to watch past the half time whistle.
Good post. As I have said before "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result". We might be Mathematically still in contention for finals, but honestly looking at our final round draws you'd be a brave man to predict any certain wins. As everyone is saying bring in the young troops to get the experience of FG before it is to late or we'll be doing all this again next year.

dungay dragon

Juniors
NOTB - spot on.
The Ref dictated terms for the Cowboys 12-0 lead , after 20 minutes we were done yet Fox stats said we had 44% of the ball ! Catch-up & fatigue play their part in the remainder of the match. Lomax tried to win the game on his own (to make up for his myriad of mistakes) , Bird is a shadow of the Player he was in younger days. Ramsay , Reuben , Suli (further comment later) , Hunt , De Belin , Sua all had a go. Amone we need to persevere with.
Each week our Opponents defence 2 wide each side of the ruck break early (seemingly undetected by Officials) and corridor our slow-moving , shallow attack through the centrefield. It's easy to defend , not tiring for them & lets them get numbers in the tackle to smother the ball. It's the Storm style & others have adopted it. (Take a look at Munster & CO. any week , even in Origin). We are not smart enough to counter this - the only time it changes is when JDB stands wide & shallow as first receiver & ball plays which creates some opportunity. Wally Lewis he isn't but at least he tries. Our attack is too shallow because we are slow so we play flat to compensate : again , easy to defend. No-one has the temerity to chip over the top of fast-moving defences because again we are too slow to take advantage (Hunt tried 1 near the end last night & it was ordinary). We have no element of surprise or sharpness in attack. It is all mundane.
Our defence is disorganised - there is no Leader. JDB mops up loads of errors , Lomax is strong & needs to be shifted (more below).
I've been patient with Hook but the time has come. The Season is a throwaway so :-
1. Sloan fullback
3. Feagais (that's both) & Suli (further comment to come) to rotate in the centres
4. Sullivan five eighth
5. Hunt half
9. Muhleihsen hooker.
Suli - is playing on the wrong side , always steps off his left foot infield & struggles to pass left. Change him.
Lomax - tall , rangy , strong - play him in the middle around the ruck in defense with a free rein in attack.
Just a few thoughts.
Just some thoughts on your changes
Ramsey FB has taken to the 1 spot really well ..safe n quick
Sloan to wing
Matt Feagai to centre
Suli ..fine
Sullivan is a 7
Hunt is a 9
Amone Bird @ 6
Mbye 14
Molo boys good
Sua JDB back row
Mullhiesen not ready..Verrells or mitch kenny
lomax worth a try at back row
Need more mongrel in the pack..Hetherington and or Lodge (at the right price )
the dead wood must be removed ...sorry... Burgess , Macca , Simms and entire Coaching staff ...
Just hanging on Woods Lawrie
New Coaching Staff ..Clubs need to move with the times and new trends in rugby league
Hook and Co are stuck in the 80s with their Coaching philosophies ...Just doesnt work today
we need Dragons DNA back at the Club....
Dean Young ..Browny ..Barrett ..Soward ...
The above wont happen .It will simply be Cut n Paste Hook style for the rest of his tenure or until someone at the Club has the Balls to turf them out !!!

Dragon David

First Grade
NOTB - spot on.
1. Sloan fullback
4. Sullivan five eighth
5. Hunt half
9. Muhleihsen hooker.
Just a few thoughts.
I like. The team you have drawn up fits my wish list really nicely but would prefer Hunt at 5/8th and Sullivan at 7 and maybe keep Ramsey at fullback and put Sloan on the wing. Hook needs to go to Specsavers because he is losing focus on the future.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Game over after 20! We don’t have the ability to ‘adapt’ like other teams with this current squad with a start like that. Think we’ve only won games when we scored first. Fundamental mistakes, bounce of the ball, some questionable decisions granted, but some mistakes just plain dumb and somewhat embarrassing. Impossible to build the required pressure; how could you possibly expect to win any NRL games with a start (platform) like that, particularly with our current players against a inform team away? ….

It must be the jumpers; have we ever won wearing that shit strip? I nearly turned it off when I saw them warming up in the sheds with them on. Wish I had!

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
NOTB - spot on.
1. Sloan fullback
4. Sullivan five eighth
5. Hunt half
9. Muhleihsen hooker.
Just a few thoughts.
Your bench is too small

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Hilariously funny that he was Hooks "impact" player to come on from the bench. I was working but after seeing the replay today, what is the deal with that ranga ref? He couldn't wait to call out held as quick as possible and give them pens and 6 agains. The one where Hiku went over touch was pathetic, momentum never stopped at all. I can't stand the ref bias these days that just adds to how crap Saints are.
100% mate. Watching our sub par performances are hard enough and then you've got the added factor of these referees over policing every game like it is touch footy.

Funny that the ranga ref was all over the six agains for the first 30 mins and then didn't call one for 30 mins after that, did we all of a sudden mid game learn to roll out of the ruck in quick fashion?

Not only that but whenever our blokes try to slow down the ruck we seem to get penalised or give away six again, watch Melbourne or Penrith with the wrestle and it's like it's a different set of rules for them!

Everyone has their opinions on Bill Harragan but he was reknown as one of the best officials because he would let the game flow and put the whistle away, it's a shame nowadays the best refs are now seemingly the ones who want to make the game about them.

This product that Vlandys and co have created is rubbish.