What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 vs Cowboys

BLM01

First Grade
Nice work Dragonslayer on these missed tackle stats. Wow - Bird, Hunt and Amone have been the main culprits and other clubs have worked this out.
No wonder Hook doesn't put Hunt in the 9 spot. He knows that Hunt isn't effective defensively as a hooker.

How do we change this Dragonslayer?
I think you will find that most other clubs similar positions are targeted and would top the missed tackle counts. Not saying ours is acceptable but looking too deeply into it apart from technique and effort.
It is no biggie, big forwards running at smaller man, missing more tackles and as teams head out wide with their speed men edge palyers get targeted again.
The key as DS pointed out without worrying about all reading all stats that can be viewed different ways is we need to reduce our tackle count, means better share of possession = less tackles and less misses. Simple game.

BLM01

First Grade
I think we were all hoping for either a win or a close defeat last night and obviously are all bitterly disappointed.

Clearly we don't have the ability to challenge top 8 sides and based on last night's showing we're not even looking like getting close.

It's a bitter pill to swallow for all of us as supporters.

Now is certainly the time for Hook to wield the axe and drop some of these plodders to send a message. On the chopping block this week should be:

Lomax - Attitude seems to be his problem and he could do with a wake up call running around in KOE cup for a couple of weeks at least.

Lawrie - Soft as butter up the middle and as inconsistent as they come. He needs to learn the best front rowers perform every week. Give Jaiyden Hunt a go, he seems like a good agressive front rower and has more upside than Lawrie.

Bird - Made a big fiasco about his contract and is now showing why no other clubs were that keen on him anyway.

Start with these three to send a message to the rest, they can come back when their attitudes improve which I reckon would take 2-3 weeks. If they don't like it, shop them around to some other clubs.

Time to give Sullivan some more game time and let him play half back even if for one half of the game while Hunt goes to hooker to relieve Mbye or McCullough.

Surely Hook will come to realise that if this playing group don't shape up, he will be shipped out, so time to get serious with these inept performances.
Disagree with you about Lawrie's game, he tries hard and runs with leg speed as F Molo does.
Yes he gave away a couple of dumb 6 agains but you cannot fault his efforts. He was very unlucky with that non-late hit on Deardon. It was play on.
The problem we had last night that not enough forward fire power on the bench we have a plethora of backrowers and a hooker and McGuire was not right physically and it showed.
We missed bigger guys to continue momentum.
Woods was the only genuine prop on the bench but he adds no firepower.
Time for him to be dropped again.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I think we were all hoping for either a win or a close defeat last night and obviously are all bitterly disappointed.

Clearly we don't have the ability to challenge top 8 sides and based on last night's showing we're not even looking like getting close.

It's a bitter pill to swallow for all of us as supporters.

Now is certainly the time for Hook to wield the axe and drop some of these plodders to send a message. On the chopping block this week should be:

Lomax - Attitude seems to be his problem and he could do with a wake up call running around in KOE cup for a couple of weeks at least.

Lawrie - Soft as butter up the middle and as inconsistent as they come. He needs to learn the best front rowers perform every week. Give Jaiyden Hunt a go, he seems like a good agressive front rower and has more upside than Lawrie.

Bird - Made a big fiasco about his contract and is now showing why no other clubs were that keen on him anyway.

Start with these three to send a message to the rest, they can come back when their attitudes improve which I reckon would take 2-3 weeks. If they don't like it, shop them around to some other clubs.

Time to give Sullivan some more game time and let him play half back even if for one half of the game while Hunt goes to hooker to relieve Mbye or McCullough.

Surely Hook will come to realise that if this playing group don't shape up, he will be shipped out, so time to get serious with these inept performances.
I hear ya mate. However this team doesn’t like to change coaches too often regardless of how bad they are. If McFlop has been the longest tenured coach at the dragons, and Hook was resigned after 8 straight defeats and before a game was even played this season, then we’re no chance in getting a new coach. This whole organisation reeks of mediocrity. I reckon I’m done getting a membership each year. Watching this team is no longer enjoyable.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Nice work Dragonslayer on these missed tackle stats. Wow - Bird, Hunt and Amone have been the main culprits and other clubs have worked this out.
No wonder Hook doesn't put Hunt in the 9 spot. He knows that Hunt isn't effective defensively as a hooker.

How do we change this Dragonslayer?

We are very actively trying to sign a hooker of some quality, that is a start.

The next step is to get Bird out of the edge forward position. Unfortunately, our options there are limited, besides Bird, Moose looks like he'll either be suspended or out injured, young Burns is coming back from injury, I didn't see his game in KOE Cup today, but they were beaten rather convincingly, so defensive stats from that game will be interesting to see. We then have Gos and Fui, who don't fill me with much confidence either. I guess we must revert back to Tariq as the edge until someone really puts their hand up and says pick me.

As for Jr, it's a tough call imo, leaving him in 1st grade will benefit him no end, however, without the correct guidance his defensive errors will keep mounting.

For me the last step is to move Gentle on. There's a reason he has never been a 1st grade coach and I think we're seeing that. I would put Flanno or even Brown or as real thinking outside the square how about Madge? he would at least put a rocket up them to say the least.

possm

Coach
I just don't get the reason for the delay. We were in a similar situation last season. Now it is time to act while quality coaching staff are still available.

Flannigan or Madge as head coach
Brown and Barrett as assistants
Get on with it CEO and 'head of football'.

After hiring the new coaching staff, go for some top-grade players and let as many plodders go. Those plodders who refuse to go and who are still under contract, drop them to reserve grade.

We need to look to 2023, hence the need to move now.
1. Ramsey
2. Feagai
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa
6. Sloan
7. Sullivan
8. F Molo
9. B Hunt
10. De Belin
11. Burns
12. Sua
13. Sims

14. Amone
15. M Molo
16. J Hunt
17. Bird

We need to make changes in the halves and so, I have gone for Sullivan and Sloan to add some spark. Hunt at hooker can kick from the dummy-half on occasions. Bird or Amone can come on at 6 if the halves pairing does not work out.

So, Amone and Bird to the bench. Woods, Laurie, Mbye, Reuben, and Moga to reserve grade.

Dragon David

First Grade
We are very actively trying to sign a hooker of some quality, that is a start.

The next step is to get Bird out of the edge forward position. Unfortunately, our options there are limited, besides Bird, Moose looks like he'll either be suspended or out injured, young Burns is coming back from injury, I didn't see his game in KOE Cup today, but they were beaten rather convincingly, so defensive stats from that game will be interesting to see. We then have Gos and Fui, who don't fill me with much confidence either. I guess we must revert back to Tariq as the edge until someone really puts their hand up and says pick me.

As for Jr, it's a tough call imo, leaving him in 1st grade will benefit him no end, however, without the correct guidance his defensive errors will keep mounting.

For me the last step is to move Gentle on. There's a reason he has never been a 1st grade coach and I think we're seeing that. I would put Flanno or even Brown or as real thinking outside the square how about Madge? he would at least put a rocket up them to say the least.
Thanks Dragonslayer.

slippery5

Juniors
Do you think Griffin might learn something from the SOO game last night? Freddy had his backs taking it up out of the NSW red zone in the first half to great effect.

Hunt at hooker could make this happen and our middle forwards could then hold their own in defense. They could be much fresher in attack as well.
If he doesn't learn from that, what chance do you think he will learn from last nights disgraceful ruck performance.
While on last nights performance,
Woods makes me cringe every time I see him stroll up to the defence.
Lawrie is so overweight for his body I keep hearing the words of Australian Idol Judge Dicko in my head, telling Paulini "she needs to Loose the pounds or get a bigger dress!!!!!!!!!!!!

FlameThrower

Bench
It amazes me that we, the average fan can see these things that seem SO obvious but the coach either can’t see it or is too inept to make changes. The best sides playing over the last few years are all young, fast, instinctive, have football smarts and are aggressive.
The Dragons play a style of football that is slow, robotic, lethargic and dumb with a roster weighted with old and slow players while the players that we DO HAVE with the right attributes for todays modern game are all in reserve grade or being mismanaged.
All the dragons fans I’ve spoken to over the last year or two would rather cop an “unsuccessful” season in which the young crop were allowed to develop than continue to watch the same crap McGregor and now Griffin have coached for the best part of the last decade.
Meanwhile casual fans are not bothered with the team. Crowd numbers are down, Dragons Army has shrunk. Club is seen as old fashioned and unable to attract quality players and coaching staff. Unless massive change and direction occurs we will be forever ‘just about there’ and ‘there’s always next year’ or the ever present ‘rebuilding year’ on loop.

Latest posts