What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nrl salary cap set to hit 11 million

Floodwaters

Juniors
How does that work with the reported figures like Payne Haas getting close to 1m in a couple of years?

Back ended contracts your thinking of, thats what f**ked the Bulldogs under Des Hasler, had all the aging forwards on back ended contracts and when they could no longer play they were still paying for them lol.

taste2taste

Juniors
Does the new cap make the NRL the 3rd highest paying comp ( league or Union ) in the world?
French Top 14 and Japanese Rugby would be higher paying...and I believe the English rugby have a slightly higher cap but it's spread out over more players ?

I wonder if one day the NRL could become the 'NBA' of league/union...having a the richest comp would attract the world's best players.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Does the new cap make the NRL the 3rd highest paying comp ( league or Union ) in the world?
French Top 14 and Japanese Rugby would be higher paying...and I believe the English rugby have a slightly higher cap but it's spread out over more players ?

I wonder if one day the NRL could become the 'NBA' of league/union...having a the richest comp would attract the world's best players.
Whilst I dont begrudge the players getting as much as they can wangle, it’s dead money really. Paying them more doesn’t make them play better or behave better. Having the highest wages isn’t attracting talent from other codes or stopping them leaving for onion.
every $1mill cap rise is $16mill the nrl doesn’t have to spend on other things as the club grant will go up by at least whatever the cap does.

Wb1234

Referee
Whilst I dont begrudge the players getting as much as they can wangle, it’s dead money really. Paying them more doesn’t make them play better or behave better. Having the highest wages isn’t attracting talent from other codes or stopping them leaving for onion.
every $1mill cap rise is $16mill the nrl doesn’t have to spend on other things as the club grant will go up by at least whatever the cap does.
You know the whole reason why the sport started in Australia was the governing body of the nswru not giving players their share of the money they made

the higher cap has kept the stars in the nrl when at one stage union was picking whoever they wanted

if nrl players can earn 2 million plus good luck to them. And if league has higher wages then union then of course that’s an area where the game can take any union player they want

if you look at the player pool of union plus those juniors they could add hundreds of players to the nrl talent pool

the players will do a similar deal as last time so if the arlc get more revenue then the cap goes up accordingly

this 11 million cap is before any new tv deals are done for team 18

nobody begrudges nfl nba or premier league soccer players from getting ridiculous money

the arlc just cut out all the wasted money that geenberg was spending. Literally they cut 70 million out of spending and the game is actually in better shape than before

Perth Red

Post Whore
the arlc just cut out all the wasted money that geenberg was spending. Literally they cut 70 million out of spending and the game is actually in better shape than before
where did they cut out $70mill? 2019 (last full year year of Greenberg) nrl admin was $20.3mill. Last year it was $14mill. Everything else is pretty much same Administration of game cost wise. other ”savings” was reduction in grassroots and community development. Where’s the $70mill savings? Greenberg was many things but financially a fool he wasn’t. In his last 2 years the game returned a $76mill surplus.

Wb1234

Referee
where did they cut out $70mill? 2019 (last full year year of Greenberg) nrl admin was $20.3mill. Last year it was $14mill. Everything else is pretty much same Administration of game cost wise. other ”savings” was reduction in grassroots and community development. Where’s the $70mill savings? Greenberg was many things but financially a fool he wasn’t. In his last 2 years the game returned a $76mill surplus.

Back ended contracts your thinking of, thats what f**ked the Bulldogs under Des Hasler, had all the aging forwards on back ended contracts and when they could no longer play they were still paying for them lol.
Back and front ended contracts and also contracts with ratchet clauses i.e players are paid a certain percentage more bases on their contract each year if the salary cap increases i think are not able to be registered.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Probably cause your looking at the afl financials
Lol, it’s not showing because it hasn’t happened. $6mill reduction in admin costs, and they had to pay $4.5mill in redundancies to get there.
Oh but they did slash $35mill out of grassroots and community development so they could pay clubs $50mill more so I guess that’s a good saving?

Be interesting to see what the minimum wage is plus the development contracts which i think were a maximum 60k. - Surely these will increase?

With the NRLW comp to be possibly ten teams in 2023 or by 2024 at least and to be a full 17 team comp in the near future they will need to fund this and pay the players decent coin as well.

simmo05

Bench
They should allow the cap to roll over, and change it so that teams have to spend 95% of total cap over any 3 period.

You get the same result, under the current system, with an 11m cap, over any three year period a club would spend a minimum of $31,350,000 (3x $10,450,000m)

By allowing them to spend under the cap and rolling it over, they'll still need to spend $31,350,000 over any three year period, so the player base doesnt lose a cent, but they can build cap to take big swings at the top talent

It'd never get through though, because it's pretty much going to take money out of the middle and lower class players and put it more in the hands of the stars... however it would dramatically help with parity and talent distribution. The system now doesnt allow enough wriggle room for clubs to pull themselves out of the gutter.

They either have to do what penrith did, and strike oil with a group of incredible juniors, or do what the dogs/knights have done, and pay huge overs for someone like Burton and hope he's a generational player who can drag them into a better situation.
The nrl just have to pump the minimum wage up to 200k. Every one gets paid, but they will have to be very particular with who gets the rest of the pie

nick87

Coach
The nrl just have to pump the minimum wage up to 200k. Every one gets paid, but they will have to be very particular with who gets the rest of the pie
hard to drag yourself out of the gutter under these circumstances
Good and smart teams will adapt... others wont

Wb1234

Referee
Lol, it’s not showing because it hasn’t happened. $6mill reduction in admin costs, and they had to pay $4.5mill in redundancies to get there.
Oh but they did slash $35mill out of grassroots and community development so they could pay clubs $50mill more so I guess that’s a good saving?
Yep the grassroots is struggling with juniors numberes yo just about everywhere and overall participation at record levels

kdalymc

Bench
just wish it was performance based. and why the f**k is this the only industry where you cant get sacked for being shit at your job....???

MugaB

Coach
just wish it was performance based. and why the f**k is this the only industry where you cant get sacked for being shit at your job....???
Coz people/fans/members are passionate about sports, they spend more effort on their phones or newspapers hiding in the dunny, instead of working, whilst reading up on altheles that are blazay in there own professional teams doing the same thing,.... its all cyclical, and then we get the shits that kikau colors his hair to pretend he is scotty pippen and so on and so forth

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I must say, love them or hate them. Vlandys alongside Abdo are actually getting stuff done and moving the game forward. Maybe some don't like his methods but the kind of stuff being achieved is stuff that RL administrators have only paid lip service to since the early to mid 90's. Loving it

siv

First Grade
Interesting if players 1-26 will get a $5k minimum wage increase again in this arrangement. Like they have been getting for the last 4 seasons