What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

At least the "old" Taj is still being patronised and although now is in need of "redevelopment" it is a "mansion" compared to the old Tigers establishment on Victoria Road, Rozelle which has been waiting for demolition for years.

Well that much is true. Souths don’t have a club either, they just crashed Souths Juniors years ago.

Not having a dig mate, but funnily enough it actually would sum up our club’s ambitions to favourably compare ourselves to a burnt out derelict hole in the ground.

Dragon David

First Grade
Maybe with all the developments going up along Princes Highway the BoD at the Leagues Club can do a deal with some developers? A number of apartment blocks have gone up with more in the pipeline.
We can only hope Trifili. Do the Board members/owners have this on the agenda to one day make this happen? I somehow don't think so.

thebigredv

First Grade
There are a number of issues with recruitment at the Dragons, but one of them would have to be how slow they operate in getting a deal done. Anthony griffin said a couple weeks ago they’d start to look towards next year in the next month which says it all…

You would imagine the club has some players shortlisted that they’d like to talk to, but you only ever seem to hear about one player at a time from outside of our club. If they aren’t, why aren’t they talking to multiple targets at the same time? Talking and negotiating doesn’t mean you have to sign them, it just means you have options. Maybe they are doing this, but from the outside looking in it doesn’t appear this way. Ultimately, the club misses out if they don’t manage to get their man. Think back to when we were linked to Kikau and Fotuaika in the off season. Both put pen to paper elsewhere and now we have nothing. Briton Nikora by all reports will re-sign with Cronulla… so that’s gone cold. Why would they not have been talking to someone like Luke Garner at the time? He will go to Penrith and kill it next year, very underrated player. Angus Crichton can’t register his contract with the roosters. Instead of getting out there and trying to swiftly get things done, I don’t think they’re even trying to lure him. How have we gone from talking to Kikau and Fotuaika, to talking to no one?? There was no plan B… they’ve moved too slow and now they’re left with not much to choose from. Next year could be very painful when you consider what we need to improve the roster. In my opinion that would include:

A hooker, two props, a second rower (crucial)

A winger and centre (of decent quality that plays first grade here and there, putting pressure on top graders)

Maybe a fullback but not essential as either one of Ramsey or Sloan could improve a heap and honestly isn’t a position our main concern should be in, that’s in the forwards.

Problem is there isn’t much on the market right now, and we could be left behind badly for 2023, looking to improve drastically with a lot of players off contract to be signed for 2024.

I couldn't agree with this post more.

I don't know what Flanagan is doing in his role but simply keeping the young'ns will not suffice. I admit I don't have my finger on the pulse .Flanagan would seem like a smart acquisition for our club but we need more transparency in this area.

Here's what blind freddy can see - We need to bolster our forwards and second row along with hooker quick smart. Could have had Finnucane. Wasn't to be. By all reports we tried so that's something. Isiaih Papali ended up signing with Tigers so that just proves he would have been keen to sign with us if we had had the foresight to approach him. With him coming suddenly we get excited about 2023. I can't think of a club that needed Reed Mahoney more than us and again, nothing. Too slow to act. The Dolphins have done a fair job in getting the basis for a strong forward pack. What have we been working on in the background? Can only assume very little.

Now we are up against it with our Sloan situation so far falling flat - all the best teams have gun fullbacks - and a new club added to the mix to spread the talent just worsens the situation. Many players don't want to leave their gun clubs which seems to be a newer phenomenon in the game. There isn't much we can do but throw money at the likes of Kikau but alas, the Dogs also got him...

We will continue to rue it as fans that our club is always three steps behind with recruitment. Here's hoping another Su'a, Molo or Suli quality players comes on the market between now and next season and we can snaffle them. It's always about hope with this club.

Dragon David

First Grade
I couldn't agree with this post more.

I don't know what Flanagan is doing in his role but simply keeping the young'ns will not suffice. I admit I don't have my finger on the pulse .Flanagan would seem like a smart acquisition for our club but we need more transparency in this area.

Here's what blind freddy can see - We need to bolster our forwards and second row along with hooker quick smart. Could have had Finnucane. Wasn't to be. By all reports we tried so that's something. Isiaih Papali ended up signing with Tigers so that just proves he would have been keen to sign with us if we had had the foresight to approach him. With him coming suddenly we get excited about 2023. I can't think of a club that needed Reed Mahoney more than us and again, nothing. Too slow to act. The Dolphins have done a fair job in getting the basis for a strong forward pack. What have we been working on in the background? Can only assume very little.

Now we are up against it with our Sloan situation so far falling flat - all the best teams have gun fullbacks - and a new club added to the mix to spread the talent just worsens the situation. Many players don't want to leave their gun clubs which seems to be a newer phenomenon in the game. There isn't much we can do but throw money at the likes of Kikau but alas, the Dogs also got him...

We will continue to rue it as fans that our club is always three steps behind with recruitment. Here's hoping another Su'a, Molo or Suli quality players comes on the market between now and next season and we can snaffle them. It's always about hope with this club.
What you and Parko have said I agree with in all aspects. Nothing much more for me to say. I have said my bit in earlier posts. There has to be something that the club is working on for the future or are they in slumberland in their king sized beds?

We just do not appear to be active in getting any other players signed up. Not one real sniff of a rumour. Not many goods ones left. Maybe waiting for November to come?

thebigredv

First Grade
What you and Parko have said I agree with in all aspects. Nothing much more for me to say. I have said my bit in earlier posts. There has to be something that the club is working on for the future or are they in slumberland in their king sized beds?

We just do not appear to be active in getting any other players signed up. Not one real sniff of a rumour. Not many goods ones left. Maybe waiting for November to come?

Soon talk will turn to Mbye, Woods and McCullough to be integral to 2023 season. Maybe Mulheisen's name will get a mention as one to watch and in effect we will be exactly back where we were to start this season.

The more patient among us will try to turn it into a positive.

I will be sat here salty as the sea and anticipating another average season where everyone keeps their cushy job.

Hook will be waiting around now for some more bargain bin buys. You just know it.

denis preston

First Grade
Signing on potential rather than proven performance is always fraught with danger ( thinking Lomax here ) . It is cheaper and that's why the club keeps promoting pathways , which is great but a very , very good player or 2 can inspire the team. As an example we are lacking in the forwards so is Coric ready for 2023 ? I don't even know if the kid will make it let alone fill holes in our roster for 2023/24.

justadragon

Bench
I fully get that the retention and recruitment position is quite difficult, especially trying to balance up experience with potential, but my main concern is that Flanno is running that department, now the guy has probably a better than 70% chance of being a head coach somewhere next year, but not at the dragons. How can we possibly believe that the Dragons are the primary benefactor when he is talking to young players who are weighing up their future. I dont know if some may have managers or not but even so we do know what their ethics are like, and you can talk to me about clauses in contracts for conflict of interest, but a lot happens behind closed doors. I just havent liked him being in that position at the dragons since it was announced that he was looking around for a head coach position.

Dragon David

First Grade
I fully get that the retention and recruitment position is quite difficult, especially trying to balance up experience with potential, but my main concern is that Flanno is running that department, now the guy has probably a better than 70% chance of being a head coach somewhere next year, but not at the dragons. How can we possibly believe that the Dragons are the primary benefactor when he is talking to young players who are weighing up their future. I dont know if some may have managers or not but even so we do know what their ethics are like, and you can talk to me about clauses in contracts for conflict of interest, but a lot happens behind closed doors. I just havent liked him being in that position at the dragons since it was announced that he was looking around for a head coach position.
i agree justa. Flanno's position as a List Manager at the Dragons seems incongruous with his ambitions. Not long ago he said that he was waiting for a call from the Bulldogs. I think that was the case, wasn't it? If so, his position with us should be untenable as it is a conflict of interest in a way. He is looking at recruitment and retention for who - us or another club?

Is this why we haven't had any new signings on the horizon? "Oh Billy, I can see that you have so much ability and potential. Unfortunately the Dragons have most of the squad sorted for the next few years - yes they have said to me that they want to keep the older ones because why go for any inexperienced guys when they know what the older ones can do. So I suggest you tell your manager to see if he can get you at this club - hands him a paper that shows the name of the club - and adds, they want players like you and will slot you in first grade straight away."

Only kidding, but I have my suspicions now.

Captn

Juniors
Damien Cook? Was a rumour that south’s would only extend him by a year at a time and he wants more. I think his current contract ends at the end of 23. Could we offer him a 3 year contract from and including 2023? Maybe past his absolute best but still got lots of games being competitive in him. Bring a local junior home?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Interesting to hear what Webb said on the RedV Podcast and he is correct, there's not much out there atm, a lot of rumour but nothing is solid fact. Player managers use this sort of stuff as a bargaining chip and club's don't let players they want, go!

As for Flanno, he has a great job, and maybe he's just happy doing that, mixed in with his media gigs. The Bulldogs seem to be moving on from him, by indicating Woolf is a definite target for them. The Tigers are a poison chalice and are in all sorts. They are trying everything to lure Ciraldo, but more rumour him staying at the Panthers than taking on that rabble. Wouldn't surprise they stuck with Kimmorly and even wait another year for Ciraldo.

As for us, Webb even dropped the hint that Hook may, and I say may, be here long term, as he has done what they have requested, ie: set up the Dragons for the future. He did comment also, some good re-signing news is forthcoming, with 3 names springing to mind in M. Molo, Burns or Amone and could re-signing include a past player returning, it would be a nice play-on-words if so, but I'm only guessing.

Dragon David

First Grade
The Dragons will be concentrating on retention rather than recruitment from outside. They have employed Flanno to do this and by all counts a lot has been achieved so far.

I think they believe that most of the players we already have in the 25+ squad are capable of improving and I think they also are showing a lot of confidence in the young ones coming through to not bother about getting guys from outside (in any case, there isn't much to choose from anyway).

Zero tackle has reported as follows and the Red V Podcast details mentioned by Dragonslayer would confirm this.

thebigredv

First Grade
We are just a truckstop of a club. Not a destination club. We are a place where people park their cabooses on route to something else...usually between radio gigs.

There will be no long term plan with Flanagan. Just a whimsical selection to fill a void.

That's all the board can manage for a once famous club.

Illusion

Bench
Interesting to hear what Webb said on the RedV Podcast and he is correct, there's not much out there atm, a lot of rumour but nothing is solid fact. Player managers use this sort of stuff as a bargaining chip and club's don't let players they want, go!

As for Flanno, he has a great job, and maybe he's just happy doing that, mixed in with his media gigs. The Bulldogs seem to be moving on from him, by indicating Woolf is a definite target for them. The Tigers are a poison chalice and are in all sorts. They are trying everything to lure Ciraldo, but more rumour him staying at the Panthers than taking on that rabble. Wouldn't surprise they stuck with Kimmorly and even wait another year for Ciraldo.

As for us, Webb even dropped the hint that Hook may, and I say may, be here long term, as he has done what they have requested, ie: set up the Dragons for the future. He did comment also, some good re-signing news is forthcoming, with 3 names springing to mind in M. Molo, Burns or Amone and could re-signing include a past player returning, it would be a nice play-on-words if so, but I'm only guessing.
Good timing all these announcement are made after we have a win , even the hint of Hook staying on long term ..... I need to see the team back it up week in week out not a win every now and then ..... A win and all is forgotten, no not me ......

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Damien Cook? Was a rumour that south’s would only extend him by a year at a time and he wants more. I think his current contract ends at the end of 23. Could we offer him a 3 year contract from and including 2023? Maybe past his absolute best but still got lots of games being competitive in him. Bring a local junior home?
Robson

kit66

Bench
Newcastle just signed up Jack Hetherington and Adam Elliot two noted defenders, aged 26 & 27 respectively.
We really should have gone after Elliot, he's been playing great since they moved him to Lock, his stats are through the roof and a real enforcer. We need a couple of Beau Scott/Jeremy Smith types in the pack to stiffen up our lacklustre defence, we lack forwards who can dominate the opposition. Hetherington is a gamble but when fit and firing you don't want to run at him. We need at least three tough, young to middling forwards to help out our Dad's Army.

Last edited:

dungay dragon

Juniors
Newcastle just signed up Jack Hetherington and Adam Elliot two noted defenders, aged 26 & 27 respectively.
We really should have gone after Elliot, he's been playing great since they moved him to Lock, his stats are through the roof and a real enforcer. We need a couple of Beau Scott/Jeremy Smith types in the pack to stiffen up our lacklustre defence, we lack forwards who can dominate the opposition. Hetherington is a gamble but when fit and firing you don't to run at him. We need at least three tough, young to middling forwards to help out our Dad's Army.
Waste of effort there....His girl friend is playing for the Knights womens side😍

Latest posts