What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

Colk

First Grade
You can track viewers leaving FTA to go to kayo for Sydney but Melbourne viewership was always low.
Based on everything we know about how product on pay TV hurts exposure, NRL being on gem would limit interest. To suggest huge interest for NRL simply emerged in Melbourne is crazy, but I guess it's all you got to hang ur hat on..

Stop using a straw man argument or some other form of logical fallacy. Also, stop putting words in my mouth

I never suggested that there was rampant support for the game down in Melbourne or Perth or wherever else in Australia; however, I am also not using FTA figures to make assumptions based on overall audience and using that to definitively state that there is no support or incredibly minute support.

You, like I, can’t make definitive statements about anything without evidence or data backing you up. Schrödinger’s cat and all that

Pippen94

First Grade
Stop using a straw man argument or some other form of logical fallacy. Also, stop putting words in my mouth

I never suggested that there was rampant support for the game down in Melbourne or Perth or wherever else in Australia; however, I am also not using FTA figures to make assumptions based on overall audience and using that to definitively state that there is no support or incredibly minute support.

You, like I, can’t make definitive statements about anything without evidence or data backing you up. Schrödinger’s cat and all that

Nah, we don't know 100% for certain, but you know what I'm saying is far more likely

What numbers? FTA? As I explained earlier you can’t assume that the majority of people who watching FTA. If they were, people would be talking about how the sport is dying as the FTA numbers are dropping and have been for a while.

On the contrary, more and more people are watching coverage that is not FTA and because you and I, or anybody else for that matter, don’t know where these people are watching the games from, you can’t definitively say that a particular region has low numbers etc.
do you understand the laws of probability?

Colk

First Grade
Nah, we don't know 100% for certain, but you know what I'm saying is far more likely

Of course there is more support for the game in NSW and QLD (it is a bit of an ipso facto argument in any case) but I am also sure there is support for the game in other states and you can make that assumption simply based on the movement of people between states. We are not talking about East Germany where people in other states wouldn’t have had any contact with the sport or anything beyond a wall.

In any case, I find it a strange argument to make to suggest that there is no support for the game outside of NSW and QLD or that you can’t convince other people to follow the game. Don’t you find it a self defeating?

siv

First Grade
I find it interesting that the # if NRL club membershios is about the same number as the average Pay-TV audiance

And lowest to highest Pay-TV viewers dont change that much

Perth Red

Post Whore
You always pedal this crap but who has hundreds of dollar to drop on what is essentially a hobby every couple of weeks?

TV money is a constant. Doesn't matter the weather, Teams form, Cost of living rising etc. That is the constant
Why not both?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Of course there is more support for the game in NSW and QLD (it is a bit of an ipso facto argument in any case) but I am also sure there is support for the game in other states and you can make that assumption simply based on the movement of people between states. We are not talking about East Germany where people in other states wouldn’t have had any contact with the sport or anything beyond a wall.

In any case, I find it a strange argument to make to suggest that there is no support for the game outside of NSW and QLD or that you can’t convince other people to follow the game. Don’t you find it a self defeating?
People like pippin and baseline have very low regard for rugby league and don’t believe that if it hasn’t had a nswrl or qrl cup team playing there for 100 years it can be followed by new fans. It’s a shame they think so poorly of what is in fact a great product that has been shown to be able to grow new fans if they get exposure. Small minded with low self esteem and they project that onto their views of the great sport of rugby league.

Iamback

Coach
Why not both?

It is the way of the world these days people are time poor or struggling to pay the bills. The extra 3m grant over the cap more than compensates for the poor timeslots and loss of a crowd.

Every club ends the year with 15k members atleast. say average of $200 ( covers for the non ticketed version. Is $3m

$3m/ 12 home games = $250k.
Every game has a game day sponsor = $50-$100k
Can make upto $500k from corporate boxes etc

So while big crowds are good. If you have members pre buying seats ( even if they don't show), Corporates showing up then crowd numbers are a minor part of it.

That is an where the traditions of sides like Dragons, Bulldogs etc get them through when they are rubbish on the field. They will still have that and increase the crowd when on field results follow. That is where Roosters stay strong despite smaller crowds. They have huge money on the board and in sponsorship.

What the NRL can do more though is have more events in the calendar. The public holiday's still aren't used more. Get those fans who may only attend 1-2 games a year to pick that game to go to and increase the crowd even move those games to the bigger Stadium if viable

MugaB

Coach
Why? Surely nz2 will be catering to a different market, presuming they aren’t stupid enough to put it in Auckland.
Hahahaha, the most populated area in NZ, and you dont think arlc will try to swing a 2ndNZ team in its heartland, even though the whole country is a preferable RU stronghold, they'd be licking their lips if Nz2 was in floated in Auckland, it makes mtsmart used every week and keeps the tv happy, as they wouldn't need to travel from site to site, when theyd be set up at mt smart for the season

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hahahaha, the most populated area in NZ, and you dont think arlc will try to swing a 2ndNZ team in its heartland, even though the whole country is a preferable RU stronghold, they'd be licking their lips if Nz2 was in floated in Auckland, it makes mtsmart used every week and keeps the tv happy, as they wouldn't need to travel from site to site, when theyd be set up at mt smart for the season
Maybe they called be called “The“ somethings, be based 40kms from mt smart and play at two regional parks with 12km capacities as well? thatd fit right in with nrl strategy lol.

Colk

First Grade

It would be a bad idea to have a second Auckland side. There is 60 odd percent of the population not catered for. It is probably the biggest problem with a second NZ side: where do you put it.

I know Flippikat thinks Christchurch/south Island and he knows more about NZ than I do; also they have a cracking stadium being built, so I’d defer to his jusgement

And to be fair & non biased ... something krusty the clown needs to refer to a dictionary to find the meaning of ..
Perth will have its say tomorrow night , 60K plus is a strong statement.

How good is our code going , cities dooking on to get an NRL team , meanwhile the aflol has 2 teams ( their last 2) they need to if being honest .. wind up .. with nowhere else they can legitimately go except Tasmania.
😎

Latest posts