What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Who Was A Better Obi-Wan?

• Sir Alec Guiness

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • Ewan McGregor

Votes: 27 62.8%

• Total voters

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Homer Simpson Wow GIF by Justin

Game_Breaker

Coach
So why didn’t he just finish it there?

I can’t help but think he called him Darth to retcon Obi Wan calling him Darth in A New Hope before Lucas decided it wasn’t a name but a title

The half mask was good though

hineyrulz

Post Whore

I can’t help but think he called him Darth to retcon Obi Wan calling him Darth in A New Hope before Lucas decided it wasn’t a name but a title

The half mask was stolen from Rebels, which was done better with more meaning.

Game_Breaker

Coach

Also, I realise they both have to live because of A New Hope
But it just seems stupid to walk away at the end of that episode
At least at the end of Revenge of the Sith he had good reason to leave

PJ

First Grade
Also, I realise they both have to live because of A New Hope
But it just seems stupid to walk away at the end of that episode
At least at the end of Revenge of the Sith he had good reason to leave

Yeah, you've got an evil merkin on his knees, still a threat to the kids, but walk away.

Zero sense

Eelectrica

Referee
All in all I enjoyed it. Decided to ignore the plot holes. I think any time a prequel is done their's bound to be a few.

Liked bad ass Obi Wan at the end. He spent most of the series being the designated jobber.

The had to have a showdown in a show where the main characters were protected by impenetrable plot armour.

Bazal

Post Whore
All in all I enjoyed it. Decided to ignore the plot holes. I think any time a prequel is done their's bound to be a few.

Liked bad ass Obi Wan at the end. He spent most of the series being the designated jobber.

The had to have a showdown in a show where the main characters were protected by impenetrable plot armour.

Agreed. I watched it all this morning, really enjoyed it although it's not perfect.

I didn't really care about most of the plot holes cos it's Star Wars, lol. I thought it fixed (or at least patched) a few that the prequel trilogy opened? At the end of ROTS Obi-Wan thinks Anakin is dead, but in a ANH he clearly knows who Vader is. I didn't like Leia being the central plot device at first but then there's no indication in ANH that her and Obi-Wan had never met either from memory so meh.

Admittedly it's been a long time.

I think Obi-Wan being broken down made sense. I don't even think there's an issue with him letting Vader live. Obviously he had to for the plot, but they set that battle up as Anakin's rage and ambition and self loathing losing to Obi-Wan's wisdom and mercy.

It completely escapes me how anyone could see it as "woke" but that's the box Disney painted for themselves with aspects of The Last Jedi fiasco especially.

I'm also just glad we got a proper Obi-Wan again. And a proper Obi-Wan vs Vader showdown. The disconnect between the character from the prequels and the old bloke who basically just walks onto a space station and dies in a New Hope was a bit much.

If anything I think that was the best Vader we've got too. I wish it was a bit longer in some ways - that scene where he just walks into town and straight up murders folks for no reason and then sets Obi-Wan on fire was great. Really showed his complete brutality and it would have been cool to explore that a bit more.

Bazal

Post Whore
The last episode was better but this was still written by someone who doesn’t have a clue about Star Wars. And as if Vader would show any sort of Mercy. But we need Reeeeeeeeeeeee-vaaaaaa to be the hero.

Mercy?

He beat her totally without so much as breaking out his own saber, revealed that not only had he done nothing but use her the entire time, he knew exactly who she was, what she knew, and what she wanted...he tore down her entire life in one scene and left her in the dirt.

I thought that was f**ken brutal and on brand tbh. Plenty of extended universe stuff showed Vader destroying people in much more calculated ways than just force choking them

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Mercy?

He beat her totally without so much as breaking out his own saber, revealed that not only had he done nothing but use her the entire time, he knew exactly who she was, what she knew, and what she wanted...he tore down her entire life in one scene and left her in the dirt.

I thought that was f**ken brutal and on brand tbh. Plenty of extended universe stuff showed Vader destroying people in much more calculated ways than just force choking them
Why would he let her live?? Especially when he knew who she really was?? It’s totally out of character, and then the Grand inquisitor why would he let her live after copping one through the chest?? Does nobody die from a light saber wound?? Poor Qui Gon.

Bazal

Post Whore
Why would he let her live?? Especially when he knew who she really was?? It’s totally out of character, and then the Grand inquisitor why would he let her live after copping one through the chest?? Does nobody die from a light saber wound?? Poor Qui Gon.

To be fair even if you exclude all the mental EU stuff Disney sacked (Kyp Durron survived an exploding sun ffs), Darth Maul was still f**ken alive after being cut in half because Star Wars. So meh

But yeah, Vader is cruel enough to know killing someone isn't always the worst thing he can do to them. Even in the original trilogy, let alone the EU. He could have killed Leia as an obvious traitor in an instant any time he liked but he made her watch her planet get wiped out as a lesson FFS. I didn't think it was out of character at all.

shiznit

Coach
I just don’t think Vader cared… the way he handled her was like he was playing with a child… I think he just ran his saber through her and thought he doesn’t care what happened to her from there as she wasn’t any sort of threat to them.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I just don’t think Vader cared… the way he handled her was like he was playing with a child… I think he just ran his saber through her and thought he doesn’t care what happened to her from there as she wasn’t any sort of threat to them.
Maybe. I just don’t see him letting anyone live. He toyed with her and normally he would just dispose of whoever gets in his way. And just because she doesn’t kill Luke in cold blood doesn’t mean she is redeemed in any way shape and form. I mean surely Obi Wan should be worried about what she knows I thought he might have to be brutal and kill her just like he did to Darth Maul in Rebels once he mentioned on why he was even on Tatooine in the first place.

shiznit

Coach
Maybe. I just don’t see him letting anyone live. He toyed with her and normally he would just dispose of whoever gets in his way. And just because she doesn’t kill Luke in cold blood doesn’t mean she is redeemed in any way shape and form. I mean surely Obi Wan should be worried about what she knows I thought he might have to be brutal and kill her just like he did to Darth Maul in Rebels once he mentioned on why he was even on Tatooine in the first place.
I think with Maul… it was self defence… he only turned his saber on once he mentioned someone…

Also… Vader is still conflicted… Luke sensed it in him later on and maybe he still holds guilt for what he did to those kids in the temple so decided to let her live.

I think considering who anakin was leading up to his Sith turn it was pretty outrageous to think he could go from Anakin the hero Jedi knight to straight up murdering children he probably knew from infants in the space of hours.

There was bound to be conflict in him…

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I think with Maul… it was self defence… he only turned his saber on once he mentioned someone…

Also… Vader is still conflicted… Luke sensed it in him later on and maybe he still holds guilt for what he did to those kids in the temple so decided to let her live.

I think considering who anakin was leading up to his Sith turn it was pretty outrageous to think he could go from Anakin the hero Jedi knight to straight up murdering children he probably knew from infants in the space of hours.

There was bound to be conflict in him…
Maybe, a lot of maybes with this show. The more i think about it the more Reva had to die. Best case scenario this planet was blown and Owen had to take Luke somewhere else. Who else has Reva told, surely Luke is not safe where he is??? And Obi Wan just letting Vader live means he is responsible for the millions of people that Vader kills going forward. This show was always going to create continuity problems. like Leia showing no emotion when Obi Wan dies in ANH.

shiznit

Coach
Maybe, a lot of maybes with this show. The more i think about it the more Reva had to die. Best case scenario this planet was blown and Owen had to take Luke somewhere else. Who else has Reva told, surely Luke is not safe where he is??? And Obi Wan just letting Vader live means he is responsible for the millions of people that Vader kills going forward. This show was always going to create continuity problems. like Leia showing no emotion when Obi Wan dies in ANH.
I came to the conclusion that the Leia character is an emotionally geniused nitwit when she walked right past Chewie to give Rey a hug after Han passed on TFA… 🤦‍♂️😂

Reva will certainly die before ANH… she will probably be a character on the Andor series… and who knows.. probably ends up happily ever after living on Alderaan.. 😂

Timbo

Staff member
I'm still confused as to how badly wounded Reva gets off a now deserted planet and gets to Tatooine whilst Obi Wan is still in orbit on the transport.

I also don't believe that Darth Vader leaves a trained force user who is out to get him alive. He's killed for much less.

If they're going to make multiple series of this, I almost feel like the showdown between Obi Wan and Vader should have been left to the final series with some build up. But also, I don't feel it was necessary at all.

I would just like some Star Wars that is not connected to the Skywalkers or Tatooine in some way. Is that so much to ask?