What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion into Universities

T-Boon

Coach
If there was a reasonably well funded university comp (10 rounds) that got televised on FOX/KAYO could it not be a bit of a game changer for RL?
You could tap into the Uni WOKE factor by having scholarships for the women's team (as well as men's).
Spend a bit of money promoting it.
Sydney Uni has tens of thousands of students and then they become alumni. Lots of them are probably sports fans and have "espirite de corps" but no university league team to care about.
but could RL drop its "working class" image that has held it back and left the door open for AFL and Rugby.
They could have NSW Uni's v QLD Uni's as part of rep round.
Then Australian Unis tour of NZ or England.

siv

First Grade
Used to happen

But university teams were very transient

What are the rules that allow Syd Uni RU to remain strong

Perth Red

Post Whore
It could be a game changer in terms of white collar support for the game in years to come. Should be a uni comp in every state with end of season inter state cup or nines comp give the uni lads an excuse for a boozy road trip. Could lead to state comps having more teams as well, I know UWA for example have uni team that also plays in the local union comp. In WA we could build the nrlwa/Pirates CofE at Curtin as a start and have a Curtin uni team join the nrlwa comp.

i see the Dragons are building their CofE at Wollongong Uni campus.

Canard

Immortal
Every major QLD Uni has RL sides, that play in the local comp or against other Unis.

If they tagged along with the LGBTIAQ+ community to create a transgender competition then they would win praise and media coverage from the ABC and no one would dare say anything negative about it.

blukablu

Juniors
Every major QLD Uni has RL sides, that play in the local comp or against other Unis.

What?

Not sure about Central and North Queensland but in SEQ University RL is a joke. The comp only has 4 teams and almost every week there are forfeits. Massively neglected by QRL.

T-Boon

Coach
No point. Will never happen. Go watch rugby

it would be easy to do and would expand RLs presence in Sydney and Brisbane as Vlandies wants to do.
There is too much of a negative “can’t be bothered so I’ll stay on welfare” Westie attitude in RL.

Pippen94

First Grade
it would be easy to do and would expand RLs presence in Sydney and Brisbane as Vlandies wants to do.
There is too much of a negative “can’t be bothered so I’ll stay on welfare” Westie attitude in RL.

Hardest working ppl live west of gladesville bridge. Lot more welfare going to the top of town..

mongoose

Coach
If there was a reasonably well funded university comp (10 rounds) that got televised on FOX/KAYO could it not be a bit of a game changer for RL?
You could tap into the Uni WOKE factor by having scholarships for the women's team (as well as men's).
Spend a bit of money promoting it.
Sydney Uni has tens of thousands of students and then they become alumni. Lots of them are probably sports fans and have "espirite de corps" but no university league team to care about.
but could RL drop its "working class" image that has held it back and left the door open for AFL and Rugby.
They could have NSW Uni's v QLD Uni's as part of rep round.
Then Australian Unis tour of NZ or England.
have to laugh at Uni's thinking they are so woke and RL so backwards, would bet far more indigenous Australians have played RL than have gone to f**king Uni especially ones in the middle of Sydney and Melbourne or UQ....

T-Boon

Coach
Some more promotion by both states bodies wouldn't go astray.

I think the best asset that is going to waste in terms of potential to promote the game is the preliminaries games on GF day.
Make the final of the Uni comp (NSW winner v Qld winner) on grand final day.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
This could be a good opportunity for both NRL, Expansion bids and the Unis. I've noticed a lot of the NRL teams even have partnership agreements with Unis at the moment (Broncos/UQ, Dragons/UoW, Panthers/Torrens Uni, Knights/UoN, Titans/Griffith Uni, etc) or as game day sponsors (UNE).

The word is getting out there and I wouldn't be surprised if Rugby League becomes a more prevalent sports option at Unis (There is already an Australia Universities Rugby League (AURL) association and UniSport has run Rugby League 9's competitions in the past, most recently in 2020.)

T-Boon

Coach
This could be a good opportunity for both NRL, Expansion bids and the Unis. I've noticed a lot of the NRL teams even have partnership agreements with Unis at the moment (Broncos/UQ, Dragons/UoW, Panthers/Torrens Uni, Knights/UoN, Titans/Griffith Uni, etc) or as game day sponsors (UNE).

The word is getting out there and I wouldn't be surprised if Rugby League becomes a more prevalent sports option at Unis (There is already an Australia Universities Rugby League (AURL) association and UniSport has run Rugby League 9's competitions in the past, most recently in 2020.)
Totally agree. It has just been irking me of late to see Sydney Uni AFL on TV.
RL needs to wake up.

ALX25

Bench
Congratulations to the following players and staff who have been selected to represent Australian University's Rugby League in the 2022 Tri Series against Police and Defence in October.

Cheyne Whitelaw, Trent Griffiths, Chase Chapman, Mitchell Chester, Zakauri Clarke, Jaxon Lavender, Dylan White, Adam Mortlock, Cruise Tweedie, Hmaloan Budden, Zac Croft, Callum Eggerling, Joseph Gilmour, Cooper Hewitt, Ratu Jope Rotavisoro, Harrison Leonard, Owen McCarron, William McCauliffe, Maverick Pegoraro, Kane Simon, Luke Webley, Joshua Rizk

Coach: Matt Church
Manager: Bob Henderson

Source: Australian Universities Rugby League Facebook [30/06]