What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Fangs

Coach
I'd prefer we bring in an experienced guy for the Cup team/Origin period/injury cover on a 1 year contract. Puru/Cole/Luke would be fine filling in for Luai but Cleary's role would be a big question mark. Sam Williams would be my pick of the available bunch. No frills, experienced & by all reports an outstanding clubman. Lachlan Lam another option that would probably jump at the chance to get the career refurbishment treatment.

I agree. A younger guy partnered with an older more experienced half in reserve grade.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Talk by the Masked Panther (Western Weekender) that Brad Arthur might get punted if Parramatta doesn't make Pel finals. If that happens believe that Ciraldo will come in.

Fascinating news.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Ciraldo may be a good head coach but it takes a long time to become a heart surgeon.

He won't qualify in time to operate on Moses.

A Really good point there Munky. Let's face it Ciraldo will leave home eventually. Unless Ivan moves upstairs to a director of coaching role (which to be honest is quite unlikely)

Of the jobs going around, Parramatta is a far better proposition to dogs or W/T. They have a good roster etal just need the finishing touches.

Original Name

Juniors
I'd prefer we bring in an experienced guy for the Cup team/Origin period/injury cover on a 1 year contract. Puru/Cole/Luke would be fine filling in for Luai but Cleary's role would be a big question mark. Sam Williams would be my pick of the available bunch. No frills, experienced & by all reports an outstanding clubman. Lachlan Lam another option that would probably jump at the chance to get the career refurbishment treatment.
Imo we either back Falls or we don't. No point keeping him if the club doesn't believe in him. His best position is halfback let him play there for a season.

The Realist

Juniors
A Really good point there Munky. Let's face it Ciraldo will leave home eventually. Unless Ivan moves upstairs to a director of coaching role (which to be honest is quite unlikely)

Of the jobs going around, Parramatta is a far better proposition to dogs or W/T. They have a good roster etal just need the finishing touches.

Didn't Ivan say sometime this year or late last year that he doesn't see himself still being a coach by the tail end of Nathans career?

I know this is more of a 'hope' than likely reality but I'd love to see Ivan at some point move to a 'Head of Football Operations' role and for Ciraldo to get the head coach gig.

Would just be a lovely story of continuity within our club.

Like I've said if Ivan wants to bail next year is the time with no Api or Kikau. Can see us dropping back the 4thish
Just out of interest, which 3 teams do you think are going to leapfrog us next year?

I see (and note this is just my opinion) most of the top teams ‘going backwards’ from a quality perspective:
- Melbourne loses half its forward pack, and has horrendous depth because it has so much invested in its spine (which has a 1 and 9 which seem to perpetually be not 100% healthy).
- North Queensland are probably the ones most likely to stay still or improve due to the age and make-up of their squad (and I really rate Payton as a coach). But if they finish top 4 their draw will become harder next year and they will need to spend more time in Sydney playing at night.
- Broncos lack of quality in their spine will eventually start to tell.
- Parra losing their hooker and barnstorming second rower (sounds familiar). While not as good quality as ours, still important pieces in a squad which overall is lower quality than ours.
- Sharks and Rabbits could improve, but doing so from a really low base. Rabbits are probably the best bet to challenge for the top 4 if they can keep Latrell on the field (haven’t done that for a while though) they don’t destroy the young halves confidence (looks like they are trying hard) and the can get Cody to care.
- Roosters just look weird. I’m not sold on Walker being the next big thing; looks to me like a spot off the bench would be the best for him to turn a game, but such a small guy on the pine would be a luxury. Sadly Keary has to be under a cloud to ever be back and Tedescos game is evolving (in a way that reflects him getting older). I don’t trust Smith yet as a hooker, and outside JEH and potentially Lodge if he stays, they don’t have any men in the forward pack.

So we won’t be better but I think we could still be top of the pile given where we seem to be at the moment and our coaching staff’s ability to pivot the team and game plan to reflect the needs and skills of the team that turns out every week.

snickers007

Juniors
Just out of interest, which 3 teams do you think are going to leapfrog us next year?

I see (and note this is just my opinion) most of the top teams ‘going backwards’ from a quality perspective:
- Melbourne loses half its forward pack, and has horrendous depth because it has so much invested in its spine (which has a 1 and 9 which seem to perpetually be not 100% healthy).
- North Queensland are probably the ones most likely to stay still or improve due to the age and make-up of their squad (and I really rate Payton as a coach). But if they finish top 4 their draw will become harder next year and they will need to spend more time in Sydney playing at night.
- Parra losing their hooker and barnstorming second rower (sounds familiar). While not as good quality as ours, still important pieces in a squad which overall is lower quality than ours.
- Sharks and Rabbits could improve, but doing so from a really low base. Rabbits are probably the best bet to challenge for the top 4 if they can keep Latrell on the field (haven’t done that for a while though) they don’t destroy the young halves confidence (looks like they are trying hard) and the can get Cody to care.
- Roosters just look weird. I’m not sold on Walker being the next big thing; looks to me like a spot off the bench would be the best for him to turn a game, but such a small guy on the pine would be a luxury. Sadly Keary has to be under a cloud to ever be back and Tedescos game is evolving (in a way that reflects him getting older). I don’t trust Smith yet as a hooker, and outside JEH and potentially Lodge if he stays, they don’t have any men in the forward pack.

So we won’t be better but I think we could still be top of the pile given where we seem to be at the moment and our coaching staff’s ability to pivot the team and game plan to reflect the needs and skills of the team that turns out every week.

Good summary.

I think a lot of people are underestimating the ripple effect that the Dolphins entering the comp will have. On average every club is losing 2 players from their Top 30 (1 NRL player and 1 fringe player).

That instantly decreases the quality of the competition across the board.

And while we're obviously losing a lot more players, we're not alone in that, and you still need to account for attrition due to retirement, players leaving for Super League and general player movements.

I see the competition levelling out to be honest. It will shift from being:
2 Elite Teams, 4 Good Teams, 6 Middle of the Pack, 4 Bad Teams
To:
2 Elite, 6 Good, 6 Middle of the Pack, 3 Bad

With other top teams losing similar players to us (and all going to pretty ordinary teams), the gap between us and say the Eels should remain.

I'd also argue that in a lower quality competition across the board, the potential for us to dominate is even greater, as we have the right systems and combinations in place to plug our gaps.

Time will tell.

Smug Panther

First Grade

Actually some fair points here. I'll have to have a look and a think

The Realist

Juniors
I honestly see Roosters as the top team next year. Robinson is using this year to get his combinations used to each other and blood a few players. Next year they will give it a real crack.

That spine will be best in comp along with the Storm. With good forwards and some star backs like Manu and Suaalii they will be up there.

They lost far too many players last year to be fully cohesive this season.

Mind you they are still dangerous this year.

Someone2

Juniors
Arthur is 10X’s the coach CC ever will be

l don’t Want CC anywhere near the club was a sh!t player and will be another Kearney or Barrett

i like Arthur and would give him another 3 year extension he is a top 3 coach with Bellamy and Robinson

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Arthur is 10X’s the coach CC ever will be

l don’t Want CC anywhere near the club was a sh!t player and will be another Kearney or Barrett

i like Arthur and would give him another 3 year extension he is a top 3 coach with Bellamy and Robinson

Why don't you express your thoughts on this subject to the club. I'm sure they'd love to hear from you.

I'm not into tea leaf reading, so I have no idea whether Ciraldo will be a better coach than Arthur.

Time will give us that answer.

Iamback

Coach

Good post.

I too am in the camp that we will drop so here goes

Cows, Broncs and Sharks are 3rd, 4th and 5th as it stands now. All 3 will improve given the age of their rosters

Manly with Tom Turbo are a threat

Souffs too with Latrell. Ilias further along
There are teams on the way up. We will have a strong backline, good defence. Not sure we will have the attack time will tell

Iamback

Coach
Good summary.

I think a lot of people are underestimating the ripple effect that the Dolphins entering the comp will have. On average every club is losing 2 players from their Top 30 (1 NRL player and 1 fringe player).

That instantly decreases the quality of the competition across the board.

And while we're obviously losing a lot more players, we're not alone in that, and you still need to account for attrition due to retirement, players leaving for Super League and general player movements.

I see the competition levelling out to be honest. It will shift from being:
2 Elite Teams, 4 Good Teams, 6 Middle of the Pack, 4 Bad Teams
To:
2 Elite, 6 Good, 6 Middle of the Pack, 3 Bad

With other top teams losing similar players to us (and all going to pretty ordinary teams), the gap between us and say the Eels should remain.

I'd also argue that in a lower quality competition across the board, the potential for us to dominate is even greater, as we have the right systems and combinations in place to plug our gaps.

Time will tell.

Will there be elite teams?

I am not so sure there will be any stand out sides

hindy111

Post Whore
Like I've said if Ivan wants to bail next year is the time with no Api or Kikau. Can see us dropping back the 4thish

He took over at a worse time but. He still has the origin halves,lock, winger, 2nd rower in his side. Some promising juniors and the vicous Fish along with a good fullback. Most coaches would kill to have that

Latest posts