What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of origin series

The Realist

Juniors
Via a kicking game.

I remember Walsh getting many try assists only via kicks and the hate he got..

How this forum has changed

Because he was shit, especially in his early to mid career for us where he was basically a turnstile.
He also had plenty of games where he played in his 'dinner suit' i.e. didn't want to get tackled.

Ironically he had a decent running game when he was on and chose to use it.

So many bad memories of that period, I wouldn't ever want to see a halfback of his calibre play for us again.

The Realist

Juniors
Andrew Johns couldn’t give any credit to the Penrith boys during the game. He did in the wash up but only because he didn’t have anybody else to praise.

He flat out dislikes us. I am not sure why? Did one of our players steal his girlfriend back in the day or something?

Kilkenny

Coach
Because he was shit, especially in his early to mid career for us where he was basically a turnstile.
He also had plenty of games where he played in his 'dinner suit' i.e. didn't want to get tackled.

Ironically he had a decent running game when he was on and chose to use it.

So many bad memories of that period, I wouldn't ever want to see a halfback of his calibre play for us again.
In his defence he had a pretty fair career, 250 games across NRL and Super League.

Players player of the season in his time with us so while I understand the opinions around Luke Walsh he wasn’t exactly surrounded by great players.

kinghippo

Juniors
Andrew Johns couldn’t give any credit to the Penrith boys during the game. He did in the wash up but only because he didn’t have anybody else to praise.
He is ridiculous during origin, he only praises Queensland and rubbish’s any 50 50 calls to try and not sound biased.

The Realist

Juniors
Players player of the season in his time with us so while I understand the opinions around Luke Walsh he wasn’t exactly surrounded by great players.

That is bullshit revisionism. We had plenty of good players around him.

Jennings was already an absolute weapon, we still haven't had anything quite like him again. Flash wasn't far behind, and Luke Lewis was becoming an excellent utility/lock. Frank Pritchard was one of the most damaging 2nd rowers in the world, similar to what Kikau is now. And we are forgetting Waterhouse who was still either in Rep teams or the cusp even though he had peaked years before. In fact I would have rated our backrow of Pritchard, Waterhouse and Lewis at Lock as the best backrow in the competition at the time

Our other forwards were not too bad especially toward the end of the Elliot era. We had Petero, though not at his peak anymore was still formidable and the up and coming Tim Grant and Sam McKendry were good young props. Our bench and depth were a little light though.

Our biggest problem in that period wasn't talent - it was terrible coaching, along with not having enough talent or experience in the spine. Elliot kept on chopping and changing it and along with injuries we had no consistancy in it for years to come.

That team was just one excellent/great playmaker from being a genuine threat....even with Elliot's coaching so I don't buy the lack of talent argument at all.

age.s

First Grade
Like most things in that era, Walsh's issues had less to do with talent, and more to do with coaching.

He was a turnstyle in defense, but the same could be said for most halfbacks his size. Our defensive structure wasn't set up to give him the level of protection that a guy his size would need so he was exposed in that area with regularity. Similarly, in attack he showed no variety because we played with none. One out running, flat attacking lines, Burns and Kingston trying hard but offering little threat/variation. Our main threats were Flash or Jennings cracking defenses on their own or bombs (which Walsh specialized in) that most teams in the league weren't defending properly (something that changed in 2011).

Walsh was a flawed player, but Elliott was by some distance the worst coach we've had in recent memory. Bad coaches make players look worse than they are, so it makes sense that Walsh would have had a lot more potential than he showed here. Maybe not an ATG, but I think he could have steered us to a premiership in the right system.

Fangs

Coach
Crichton will keep his centre spot for game 3 I think. Saved by the fact he can play on the right.

Latrell is behind Wighton so he isn't really in contention unless injuries occur. Wighton also offers more from the bench and as the best player in the team in game 1 he walks back in. Probably for Talakai. It does leave the bench a bit light if we run with two hookers but have to gamble somewhere.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors

Glad i wasnt the only one thinking this, but more around his willinness for QLD to win, same with game 1. Thankfully its only origin and GF we need to listen to C9

GongPanther

Referee
I nearly always watch the game on mute. I find it much more enjoyable.
I usually do the mute for club games and play classical music at the same time. With the configuration of Perth Stadium, the one thing I remembered was the loud atmosphere coming through the speakers pre-game.

But like this year, it was muffled by the commentary that for some strange reasoning, has to be heard over the crowd. I hope one day they bring back what Foxtel had over 20 years ago when you could watch the game without commentary in club games.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Is Johns bipolar? If that is the case, I'll sit this one out.

He is bi-polar.

If Johns is so anti Penrith, why then does he speak so highly of Cleary. Stating that he's doing things at 24 he wasn't capable of.

I think folks listen to commentators of the footy at times. just waiting to be offended.

Frankly who gives a shit whether he talks about Penrith or not. Are we seriously that insecure about our team's performance ? 😂

The Realist

Juniors
He is bi-polar.

If Johns is so anti Penrith, why then does he speak so highly of Cleary. Stating that he's doing things at 24 he wasn't capable of.

I think folks listen to commentators of the footy at times. just waiting to be offended.

Frankly who gives a shit whether he talks about Penrith or not. Are we seriously that insecure about our team's performance ? 😂

It is nothing about being offended or insecure. I don't have any real feelings regarding Johns one way or the other. I have just noticed over several years that he has a hostile attitude toward our club and it has become more noticeable over recent years.

Yes he does give our team and some players praise - but it is always 'through gritted teeth' like he's been forced into a corner (because we are basically undeniable). The moment that there is an opportunity to criticize us or our players he jumps at it. He seems to always back the opposition against us at almost every opportunity (pretty hard to now). All this has gotten to the point that it appears (to me and obviously a few others in here) that he has an irrational dislike or animosity toward our club. So I had to ask the question as to whether anyone knows why this is?

I can give an example of an ex-player turned media personality who is like that - Laurie Daley. He is worse than Johns with his anti-Panthers bias - but at least I can understand it - it appears that he is not over our bitter 1990-91 rivalry. With Johns it is not so clear why.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
It is nothing about being offended or insecure. I don't have any real feelings regarding Johns one way or the other. I have just noticed over several years that he has a hostile attitude toward our club and it has become more noticeable over recent years.

Yes he does give our team and some players praise - but it is always 'through gritted teeth' like he's been forced into a corner (because we are basically undeniable). The moment that there is an opportunity to criticize us or our players he jumps at it. He seems to always back the opposition against us at almost every opportunity (pretty hard to now). All this has gotten to the point that it appears (to me and obviously a few others in here) that he has an irrational dislike or animosity toward our club. So I had to ask the question as to whether anyone knows why this is?

I can give an example of an ex-player turned media personality who is like that - Laurie Daley. He is worse than Johns with his anti-Panthers bias - but at least I can understand it - it appears that he is not over our bitter 1990-91 rivalry. With Johns it is not so clear why.

From your comment it sounds like you do care.

Personally I'm well over what others think about me, and especially about the footy team I support.

I make up my own mind about such things.

I tend to watch games with the mute button on, especially if the game is live. I've done that for a number of years.

A lot of the stuff being talked about is little more than gossip.. Once you realise this, it makes life and footy much more enjoyable.

Murraymob1

Juniors
From your comment it sounds like you do care.

Personally I'm well over what others think about me, and especially about the footy team I support.

I make up my own mind about such things.

I tend to watch games with the mute button on, especially if the game is live. I've done that for a number of years.

A lot of the stuff being talked about is little more than gossip.. Once you realise this, it makes life and footy much more enjoyable.
As others have said johns does not like penrith.it stands out .personaly I like the hate as I am sure the boys do as well

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
This is all sounding a bit childish.

This commentator is being mean about my team, or that commentator hates our team.

Oh my.

I follow Gus Gould on twitter (among other league commentators) and sometimes after games, both sets of fans will harrass Gould on 'being hateful' towards each group of fans. I'm sure Gould is not the only one coping such a barrage.

It's all so silly.

Laurie Daley had a running battle with Steve Carter during that period. The niggle between the two, particularly in the ‘91 GF, was noticeable.