What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 16 vs Gold Coast @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton

Who will win? Round 16: Newcastle v Gold Coast

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Gold Coast Titans 1-12

• Gold Coast Titans 13+

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mozza91

Coach
I think my overriding thought about tonight is that Dan Ginnane and Shane Flanagan are punishing to listen to. They could not have wanted the Titans to get back in that game any more in the second half. Dan Ginnane sounds like he has to swallow razor blades when saying anything positive about us. We had a slight wobble off the back of some bad calls, but pumped them 8 tries to 2. They can push on.
Glad I was at the game getting saturated and not listening to these worthless pricks.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
The opposition was poor but we played pretty well. At least we showed a clear attacking game plan which was nice, and some pretty good set plays in there too. Clune and Milford really steered the team around and kicked well for the most part. I’m really pleased for Edrick given how things have gone for him over the last couple of years and Dom showed some class too.
Not getting too excited given it was against the Titans but it was nice to see us play some entertaining footy for once.

Old dog

Juniors
So if Best is back does he play his usual left centre moving Tuala to right to cover Gags SOO or
do we put Best at right centre and leave Tuala at left to be replaced by Gags returning from SOO putting him to permanent left centre

Sir Galahad

Juniors
I missed the game - what's the deal ? Have we turned the corner ? or were the Titans just really really crap ?

Hoy looked sharp in the highlights. So did Clune.

Hard not to love Dom Young.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I missed the game - what's the deal ? Have we turned the corner ? or were the Titans just really really crap ?

Hoy looked sharp in the highlights. So did Clune.

Hard not to love Dom Young.
It looked a bit like a training run for us at times, the Titans were awful, they invited us into their 20m zone countless times and gave us a chance to attack. That being said we actually put together some nice plays and it seemed like they executed some stuff that they had worked on at training which was nice to see.

One of the most pleasing aspects was Clune/Milford linking up well and both having an important impact on the game, they both kicked pretty well and set up a couple of tries each which was good to see.

I'm not going to say we've turned a corner until we put a few good games together in a row but IMO it was the best we've looked all season apart from round 1.

Yosh

Coach
It's hard to get any excitement or enjoyment from the Titan's game because they were so bad. It might have been the worst performance I've seen in years. They couldn't hold the ball for more than three tackles. I was super happy Lee got those 5 tries but the try assists should have all gone to the Titans.

I know I'm beating on a dead horse but AOB probably gets to survive another week due to the Titan's woefulness. We might not get the spoon but AOB still needs to go asap.

Nuke

Staff member
It was enjoyable to see them score lots of points and tries. Nice, also, to see a new club record (a good one, I mean), and congrats to Edrick Lee on his 5-try effort. A shame he's leaving us at season's end.
Good to see Dom Young getting a hattrick too.

I enjoyed seeing a more cohesive team finally. They actually looked like they had a plan and structure. Something every other club has. I have to admit, I did wonder throughout the game if that came about due to Ponga's absence.

Quick question from someone who lives in WA: Why the poor crowd last night? It sounded so quiet on TV. Was it due to the opposition, team's poor form, the impending rain, or the cold temperature (it seemed pretty cold) ... or a combination of some/all the above?
Even with all those factors, in the past they'd still get a decent turnout, which is why I was surprised by what I could see/hear last night.

mozza91

Coach
Quick question from someone who lives in WA: Why the poor crowd last night? It sounded so quiet on TV. Was it due to the opposition, team's poor form, the impending rain, or the cold temperature (it seemed pretty cold) ... or a combination of some/all the above?
Even with all those factors, in the past they'd still get a decent turnout, which is why I was surprised by what I could see/hear last night.
Bit of all of those things. Plus the shit time slot. The atmosphere at the ground was ok.

Nuke

Staff member
I'm glad to hear that. It just looked poor and sounded very quiet for the most part on TV.

And yeah, I don't particularly like that first Friday timeslot either. That's 4pm here and I don't finish work until after 5pm. Game's usually nearly over by the time I get to check the scores.

It was a pleasant change when I got to the computer last night and we were AHEAD 22-nil at the time (instead of being pumped)!

Old dog

Juniors
Is it just me but I HATE Friday 6pm game times. If thinking of attending it’s awkward to get to game unless very local, 6pm is family dinner time, especially winter. If at home you sit down for meals Again especially winters. You can record and watch later but it’s so much better live and again it’s family time 6pm to 8pm.
I hate recording and finding the score before I get to watch

Apey

Staff member

All of the above. Bottom 4 clash, worst timeslot, playing the worst team that is from another state and has no fans anyway, our team sucks, wet/cold weather, no Ponga drawcard. Really 8k is more than it deserved even though we won.

Latest posts