What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Origin III - Wed 13 Jul - QLD 22-12 NSW @ Suncorp

Series: QLD v NSW

• Queensland

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • New South Wales

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SBD82

Coach
Game 3 in 2000 was probably the nadir of that run for QLD.

56 to 16 loss in a 3 game white wash (the infamous Bryan Fletcher grenade try celebration game).

At the time Origin just hadn't seen score lines like that, there was no 6 again rule and interchanges were higher in number. So that win was as dominant as you are ever likely to see.
That post try celebration still makes me cringe whenever I see it.

IMHO it beats Ben Creagh running away from a fight as the most embarrassing moment in NSW Origin history.

GongPanther

Referee
I agree his form dropped considerably immediately after the broken jaw for a while but he's been playing really good footy for the last two and a half seasons.
Not as barnstorming as he was at Penrith. He was much more fearless and full of running.

King hit

Coach
It was in the early 90s.

Qld didn't win in Sydney from 90-94.
NSW didn't win in Qld from 88-92
QLD didn't win in Sydney from 1998-2007 either. Game 3 2002 was a draw despite the spin i hear on it.

Game 3 in 2000 was probably the nadir of that run for QLD.

56 to 16 loss in a 3 game white wash (the infamous Bryan Fletcher grenade try celebration game).

At the time Origin just hadn't seen score lines like that, there was no 6 again rule and interchanges were higher in number. So that win was as dominant as you are ever likely to see.
I seriously think the Maroons just didn't care in that game. Heads were down the very instant Girdler ran away with an intercept early. Despite the whitewash and the 56 points that year it's weird to think the series was very neck and neck until Johns came on in game 2.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Not as barnstorming as he was at Penrith. He was much more fearless and full of running.
He has been a machine for us, rarely has a bad game even when we are being classic Parra. I would say his only weakness is he is a little slow/cumbersome around the ruck but no worse than any average prop in the NRL.

I also thought he was one of our better forwards in game one tbh. He obviously did/didn’t do something that has put him off with Freddie.

Legit what odds would you have given me 12 months ago that Jordan McClean would be starting prop for NSW?

some11

Referee
I’ve read this script before

NSW head to QLD for a decider on the back of a big win. Start with a couple of nervous errors and then get penalised out of the game by the refs.

Everyone craps on about the QLD spirit. Gus is the worst.

Rinse and repeat.
It wasn't being penalised out of the game, it was Smith, JT & Cronk just being better under pressure.

Grant and Munster go alright, DCE and pong-a not so much. NSW will win if Luai/Cleary turn up again.

some11

Referee
My feeling is these wins have generally been in spite of Fittler's team selection not because of them. The talent he has at his disposal is far superior to the NSW coaches circa 2006-2013.

So take context into account before you annoint Fittler as a great coach. He was my favourite player as a young bloke but he has a habit of trying to outsmart himself at the selection table and it cost us in 2020 and game 1 this year.

McLean for Haas is a massive downgrade and there's probably at least 2-4 props I would have picked before McLean. Campbell-Gillard must be ropeable not getting picked for example.
The only reason this series isn't over already is because Trbojevic & Mitchell were injured.

SBD82

Coach
It wasn't being penalised out of the game, it was Smith, JT & Cronk just being better under pressure.

Grant and Munster go alright, DCE and pong-a not so much. NSW will win if Luai/Cleary turn up again.
There were definitely games where the QLD spine’s class got them home, but there was some home town refereeing at the start of deciders in Brisbane that was brutal. QLD were far too good at the time to be given that sort of advantage, and NSW were far too conservative in their game plan.

I'd still be picking Wighton over Crighton. Crighton looked terrible game 2 and that was in a side that won by a lot. Thought the obvious move was Wighton off the bench at worst
I'm not sold on Crighton either...if you're talking about the Penrith one.
I'd do straight swap
But the everyone keeps saying Burton and Wighton can only play left centre

big hit!

Bench
McLean for Haas is a massive downgrade and there's probably at least 2-4 props I would have picked before McLean. Campbell-Gillard must be ropeable not getting picked for example.

McLean is in purely because he plays for NQ. A bit like Martin. Better edge forwards but Liam gets a gig because Penrith are doing well.

Re all the Wighton speculation, he is unfortunately a victim of the "don't take a day off because your replacement might do a better job!" scenario.

Even though Wighton was NSW best player in G1, Burton did just as well in a comprehensive win, covers the same positions as Jack, has a combo with the Penrith boys, and he kicks a bomb better than anyone too, which he used in G2 to put Tualagi in all sorts. With the change of #9s strategy, it meant there wasn't a spot on the bench either.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
QLD breathe a sigh of relief now young tearaway Jordan McLean been ruled out

Last edited:

Latest posts